This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

New Nanny with unvaccinated own child

(52 Posts)
FrenchMagpie Fri 08-Apr-16 16:13:45

Has anyone been in this situation?

Our lovely new nanny starts soon - initial impressions are great and I'm really pleased to have found her. However, I've just found out that she doesn't believe in vaccination and her own child (13 months) is not vaccinated against anything. Also, she herself did not have whooping cough/Flu vaccination in her pregnancy.

I am expecting DC3 in the summer and I'm not sure how I feel about my nanny being in close contact with my newborn.

I feel very confused. It is, of course, her choice not to vaccinate her child. But am I putting my children at risk?

Is this common? Do you ask if your potential employees are vaccinated? And any nannies, are you vaccinated and how do you feel about this?

Thanks for any input

Hassled Fri 08-Apr-16 16:16:15

You're right that of course it's her choice but I am so pro-vaccination that I don't know if I could get past this. But is her unvaccinated child actually going to have any contact with your DCs? Presumably the nanny herself will have immunity to the MMR diseases?

lavenderdoilly Fri 08-Apr-16 16:19:28

I am immuno-compromised, have never had measles so I rely on herd immunity. We have no measles herd immunity in our area and so I kept my dd clear of eg swimming until she was vaccinated. I have to take my chances for myself. I personally would not allow anyone access to my newborn if they were not vaccinated. Prepare for vitriol from some other posters.

littleducks Fri 08-Apr-16 16:24:11

Realistically the MW delivering your baby could be unvaccinated and you wouldn't know.

GraysAnalogy Fri 08-Apr-16 16:25:32

I personally wouldn't want someone who 'doesn't believe in vaccination' taking care of my child.

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:26:19

Is your nanny bringing her child to work?

FrenchMagpie Fri 08-Apr-16 16:38:54

Oh, please, no vitriol. I'm pregnant (and very emotional) and just worried about my children!

The children won't have any contact with her child. She herself has been vaccinated for MMR etc but did not have the Whooping Cough jab in her recent pregnancy and I am really most worried about that (initially). My DS1(3) had suspected whooping cough a few months ago (despite being vaccinated) and I had many discussions with his doctors about the vaccination. I understand WC in newborns (before they have initial 2 month jabs) is potentially fatal.

It is absolutely her choice. But I have to make the best choices for my children too. I'm so confused...

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:43:58

I think you are worrying unnecessarily
The whooping cough vax in pg is to protect the newborn - the adult should be protected from their childhood vax (in theory)

PotteringAlong Fri 08-Apr-16 16:50:26

Are you going to keep your child in the house so they don't come across any unvaccinated person?

You cannot recind a job offer because you do not agree with a choice they have made for their own child, who has nothing to do with the job offered.

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 16:53:34

Are you having the WC jab?

NickNacks Fri 08-Apr-16 16:54:48

I believe in vaccination but the whooping cough one is new so I didn't have it in any of my pregnancies. I'm a childminder so understand the risks of diseases to young children. Would you be equally as wary of me?

zoelife111 Fri 08-Apr-16 16:57:25

personally, I would not be allowing her child into my home

NickNacks Fri 08-Apr-16 16:58:18

She's already said they won't have any contact.

UmbongoUnchained Fri 08-Apr-16 17:01:44

I wouldn't want an anti vaxxer having anything do to with my child.

VilootShesCute Fri 08-Apr-16 17:04:09

Surely if your child is going to be vaccinated they'll be covered? Not that vaccinating stops people getting the illness they're jabbed against but your little one will have hers at 8 weeks I presume? If she's a nanny she should have good awareness of these diseases and be careful about who your tiny one comes in to contact with. Keep them locked in your home for the first few months grin and keep her child away from yours you are the one in charge after all she should respect your view and decisions.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 08-Apr-16 17:07:08

Yanbu. The amount of time she will be spending with your child would concern me.

I would find a replacement.

FrenchMagpie Fri 08-Apr-16 17:10:00

I had WC jab in my last pregnancy (2014) and I am told I am still covered. If I wasn't covered, I would have it again, no question.

NickNacks - have you been asked about your vaccinations and are people wary? I'm genuinely confused as to whether this is something I should be asking/worrying about. Her views on vaccination came up in conversation, I hadn't even thought to ask her? Do you take unvaccinated children as mindees? Or newborns who have not yet been vaccinated? As I've said, I'm initially most worried about my newborn.

As for keeping the newborn in the house so that they don't come across unvaccinated people (PotteringAlong), I thought that was indeed the advice for newborns prior to their initial jabs. Not being housebound, I mean but avoiding swimming, large groups of children etc. Just being careful I suppose?

Snooksbury Fri 08-Apr-16 17:10:14

If she didn't have children herself she wouldn't have had the whopping cough vaccine either - would you still be worrying then?

AveEldon Fri 08-Apr-16 17:14:09

The NHS advice is for you to have it in every pregnancy, no matter how close together they are

NickNacks Fri 08-Apr-16 17:14:20

I have never ever been asked about my vaccination status nor that of my children. I do find out about the children I look after though, mainly for records in case they fall ill in my care.

I've been a cm for 7 years and looked after dozens and dozens of children, though never newborns.

FuzzyOwl Fri 08-Apr-16 17:19:00

French I gave birth less than a year ago and will do so ago in a few months, and I still have to have the whooping cough vaccination again. It is for the unborn child and not the mother. Please speak to your surgery, because you should be having it again (probably now if your child is due in the summer).

FuzzyOwl Fri 08-Apr-16 17:24:42

The second to last point on the NHS site here confirms that you need to have the whooping cough vaccination for every pregnancy that you have.

Whatsthematterwithme Fri 08-Apr-16 17:27:31

I am a nanny and when I applied for positions overseas last year, it was a requirement for me to have the whooping cough vaccination (amongst all others).

FrenchMagpie Fri 08-Apr-16 17:28:31

Fuzzy & Ave - thank you. I will check again although I'm not yet 28 weeks. If I need the WC jab, I will absolutely have it. Especially in these circumstances!

NickNacks - thanks also. As I said, I didn't ask her, it just came up. Out of interest, would you take an unvaccinated child into your care? Would you need to inform the other parents?

Snooksbury - good question. I am not sure. I guess thats why I'm a little caught off guard.

I am genuinely confused about what to do, so thanks for all your input

NickNacks Fri 08-Apr-16 17:31:35

Yes I do have an unvaccinated child in my care currently. No the other parents don't know, and I can't and won't tell them as I am duty bound by confidentiality to the famililies. All the others are indeed vaccinated and so they are covered. I don't accept ill or contagious children so I would never knowingly out them at risk. I guess there's always a chance but I suppose there would be anywhere, nursery or school etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now