This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Before & after school care..... does it exist

(12 Posts)
bibblebobblebubble Thu 07-Apr-16 20:53:32

We've had a nanny in the past but the kids are now at school so we don't need someone full time (and it was bankrupting us....), now we have an au pair but I've not really enjoyed having someone living in the house. DH and I work full time.

Would we ever get someone who would be prepared to do 8-9, 3.30-7 and some school holidays? Does this exist as a thing?

I don't think there are many local childminders here and in any case we'd much prefer to have someone in the house. I don't mind paying £10/£11hr and I don't expect a fully qualified nanny, just someone reasonably mature and reliable.

This isn't a job ad, just trying to figure out what the options are....

calamityjam Thu 07-Apr-16 20:59:29

Can I work for you? seriously though I am doing a degree in working with children young people and families. I am a mature student with 4 dc's of my own, this would suit me down to the ground. Why don't you ask your local college, I am sure there are students who are doing childcare courses at both further and higher education levels who would jump at the chance to work for you, it would also qualify for my work placement.

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 07-Apr-16 23:42:48

I think you'll find the 1 hour in the morning a struggle to fill - is there a breakfast club at school? The after school might appeal to someone older or at college/uni in the day. I'd also check out childminders as this is the most obvious and probably cheapest solution .

nokidshere Fri 08-Apr-16 10:16:50

I do before and after school care either term time only or all year. Most childminders I know do also.

And if you are willing to pay £10 ph I would do it for you grin

Yerazig Fri 08-Apr-16 10:30:06

As you mentioned if you don't need a highly qualified experienced nanny, you will definitely get people interested. The only thing as mentioned above you will struggle with is the morning slot. Unless you pay for a few hours or the nanny literally lives next door to you. It probably wouldn't be worth anyone's time just working for an hour.

imeatingthechocolate Fri 08-Apr-16 10:32:49

is there anyone at the children's school you could pay for an hour in the mornings?

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Fri 08-Apr-16 16:48:41

You may have more luck getting someone with own child especially if that child goes to Same school as your children.

I actually had a lot interest for temp job when I needed someone forv6weeks 1hr morning n 2hrs after school to cover ds starting school n me going on mat leave (I didn't use anyone in end dh n I sorted work around it).. One cheeky lady though wanted to bring her 2 older boys (10+11) to work and still be paid same rate as someone who didn't and she had no experience and couldn't understand why I didn't jump at her offer smile

We now use a wonderful cm for after school n ds2 goes to nursery.

CountryLovingGirl Fri 08-Apr-16 21:13:39

I use the breakfast club, at school, from 8-9 then a local childminder 3-6.

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 08-Apr-16 21:18:51

My childminder does exactly that . Means DD is in her own house and well looked after as well.

Longdistance Fri 08-Apr-16 21:20:33

We are very lucky that we have breakfast club from 07.45 til 08.45 at our school. I finish work at 3, but if there's a meeting after 3 and I need childcare the school does an after school club.
They've just started a holiday club too.
Maybe see if one of the parents could help out and you pay them?

bibblebobblebubble Fri 08-Apr-16 23:39:27

Hi thanks for these replies. Yes there's a breakfast club but I think for the younger one (5) it will be a long day for him so I'd rather have cover in the mornings at home. Encouraged that at least the after school part might be less tricky than I thought. DH is going to look into shifting his hours to see if he can start at 10. Otherwise will def look into local colleges, we're London so there should be a few about.

Longdistance Sat 09-Apr-16 05:07:23

My dd is 4 and goes to the breakfast club with dd who's 6.
Originally, I was 9-5, and I got my hours cut thank god to 9-3, and dd (4) was in breakfast and after school club.
She was worn out by the end of the day, but that was great as we were worn out too, ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now