This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny-Housekeeper

(35 Posts)
sephineee Tue 29-Mar-16 15:37:32

I am trying to find a live out nanny housekeeper for 2 days a week.

I want someone to clean the house, do all the ironing, put kids washing round/do kids beds and some batch cooking. They will have am to do this and pm to do nursery pick for dc3 and then 2-3 hours with dc3 before I come back with dc1 and 2. School run in the am needed too.

Cant find anyone who is willing to do all the cleaning, can drive and wants to do childcare.

Do I need to rethink?! Any suggestions on where this role is flawed?

BitchyComment Tue 29-Mar-16 15:38:49

Are you paying enough?

BitchyComment Tue 29-Mar-16 15:40:25

Sorry, posted too soon. I don't think there is anything off putting about what you are asking. It's the type of thing my cleaner would like to do but decent pay is the key.

sephineee Tue 29-Mar-16 15:42:45

I haven't really even got to money negotiation yet with any candidates!

I would like to pay for £10 gross but accept that I might end up nearer £12. We are south east and is the midpoint of going rate for nanny I think?

mouldycheesefan Tue 29-Mar-16 15:43:56

Will two mornings be enough to clean house, do ironing, beds and batch cook before nursery pick up? Could you do all that in that time?

Jinxxx Tue 29-Mar-16 15:45:48

Going rate for full time nanny. I suspect you will have to pay more for the sort of flexibility you want and the part time hours, or get somebody else to do your cleaning and ironing.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 29-Mar-16 15:45:57

Many nannies don't want to do whole house cleaning. Could you find a part time nanny and a part time cleaner?

Paffle Tue 29-Mar-16 15:48:02

Sounds to me like too much to do in the time tbh. Also for a nanny I think you are looking at £10-12 net per hour (not gross) at least in London. And this time round I haven't seen anyone who wanted less than £11nph. Also, you frankly have a smaller pool of candidates for p/t in my experience.

BitchyComment Tue 29-Mar-16 15:48:43

The pay doesn't sound too bad but it's not great. How much are cleaners paid around where you live?

sephineee Tue 29-Mar-16 15:48:51

It would be 7 hours in total. Ironing is 1.5 hours, cleaning I reckon 4.5 hours. So one hour a week left over - probably batch cooking is too much as well then.

Not sure I've got further than saying cleaning and ironing to candidates either. The big issue is the driving, lots of older women interested but then they cant drive.

sephineee Tue 29-Mar-16 15:50:54

Pay current nanny £10 net so £13 gross - no cleaning but does have all three children a lot and does a lot of ferrying around etc. I pay more than most pepple I know.

if someone else does cleaning then I only need 2 x pms in termtime, surely no one wants that job?!

superwormissuperstrong Tue 29-Mar-16 16:05:17

I think it's the quantity of work for 2 days if you are not even getting to a conversation about pay. A nanny will see a 2 day job and then see actually it's a lot of non - nanny work in those 2 days and so may not be interested. (Full time nanny's may accept some non nanny work as part of getting to full time hours but want the majority of work to be the nanny/children part)
Suspect cleaners are not even looking at the ad if it's labelled as a nanny.
It sounds like the kind of work that would be of more interest to a mature lady (like my mum who is a semi retired nanny) but she only now takes on jobs without the driving as she thinks it's too much responsibility for her these days and not worth the stress of doing school runs and parking issues around pickups and drop offs against a backdrop of busier roads, impatient drivers and nervous mums!

sephineee Tue 29-Mar-16 16:18:47

Yes superwoman - these are the women interested and they sound great but without driving would be tricky.

Agree that it is a lot of non nanny work in term time, not what younger nannies are looking for at all.

Back to the drawing board for me and my childcare stacking plan!

Cindy34 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:00:49

Is it worth trying an advert with the salary in it, with a good description including the must requirement of being a driver (with own car to use in the job if they need that)? Before interview you can confirm that candidates meet the minimum spec and then see if that leaves you with people to interview.

Karoleann Tue 29-Mar-16 19:02:04

Nanny/housekeepers pay is £12/hour net in beaconsfield area if that helps.

sephineee Thu 31-Mar-16 10:49:52

Thanks all, I have amended advert now. Still quite confused about how to proceed.

One issue is that dc3 has been doing bits at a nursery since he was 4 months old and we love the nursery. the nanny/housekeeper idea was to mix up cleaning and him still going to nursery (as he will have to restart for preschool). Maybe this is the thing that has to change.

ARGH childcare is so hard sometimes. I think its because a system only ever seems to last for a year and then something changes.

sephineee Thu 31-Mar-16 11:25:41

Is there a childcare advice bureau?!

mouldycheesefan Thu 31-Mar-16 12:44:58

Yes most local councils have them. They give lists of childminders, nurseries etc. Someone from our local one came and gave a talk to post natal group.

But they don't find you childcare! They just give info. You could try an agency if you are struggling.

Cindy34 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:19:07

Nanny agencies exist, maybe they could help.

This board on Mumsnet is your Childcare Advice bureau. We can advise you on various things but can not find you a person to do the job.

sephineee Fri 01-Apr-16 09:24:47

I might try an agency, thanks. Have always avoided due to extra cost.

cindy34 - I know, it was tongue in cheek.

I think maybe our stacking policy isn't working, maybe we just need a full time nanny who is willing to do some bed changing/washing/ironing and a cleaner.

expatinscotland Fri 01-Apr-16 09:41:46

Sounds like a lot of work for 2 mornings and then nanny on top of that.

Jessbow Fri 01-Apr-16 15:59:30

7 hours each day, or 7 over the two days?

Underparmummy Fri 01-Apr-16 17:03:24

7 over the two days.

Underparmummy Fri 01-Apr-16 17:03:33

Sorry - n/c

LittleNelle Fri 01-Apr-16 17:09:42

Can't DC3 go to nursery in the afternoon? Then you are looking for a part time housekeeper who is happy to do school runs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now