This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Working shifts and flexible childminder??

(4 Posts)
Twothirdsamidwife Fri 04-Mar-16 16:42:24

Hi

I've just qualified as a midwife and am due to start work as a midwife end of April. I'll be working 3 shifts (12.5 hours) for 3 weeks and 4 shifts for 1 week.

I've had experience of off duty in 3 different trusts so I know how it works - fair share of nights, weekends and bank holidays. My new trust will do family friendly ie. Set shift pattern after my probation 6mths is up.

I have the most amazing childminder who has cared for my daughter for the past 3 years while I've been at uni, from when she was 4mths old. The problem is I need to reduce the hours she is there to 2/3 days a week but I'm not going to have set days for the first 6 months. I know she's perfectly entitled to say no but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place

What do I do? Is there childminders who cater for nhs workers??

ilove Fri 04-Mar-16 16:46:56

I'd say you need a nanny

badgerhead Fri 04-Mar-16 19:14:53

Ask your childminder as she might not want to lose you or your dd. You might find that you can come to some sort of agreement re payments. I have three children on my books whose parents are shift workers & between them they take up virtually only 2 spaces except for around 7 days in 6 months. Fortunately I work with my dh & my dd2 is also registered as my assistant so can cover the overlaps. Three different 'industries' for the workers as well (airport, police & nhs).

HSMMaCM Sat 05-Mar-16 12:15:20

I agree with asking your cm. Some are more flexible than others and can manage different children on different days. Others will be full and unable to do it unless you paid for a full time space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now