This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

(Boring) nanny tax question

(8 Posts)
girasol Sat 27-Feb-16 20:18:43

Hello, we're about to make a job offer to a nanny and the agency we found her through has said "the tax codes are likely to change in April so you may wish to discuss how this affects the offer you may be making". Does anyone know anything about this please? We've not had a nanny before, so it's all new to us. Thanks!

girasol Sat 27-Feb-16 20:22:48

As a PS I should say that all the salaries we've been discussing have been gross so I don't see how a change in tax codes should affect us but as I say, I'm new to all this.

nannynick Sat 27-Feb-16 20:26:05

As you have been discussing gross the personal allowance increase makes no difference to your cost. It means your nanny gets a bit more take home pay.

nannynick Sat 27-Feb-16 20:29:15

By agreeing a gross salary you protect yourself from tax code changes. Code changes occur for various reasons such as past underpayments, changes to personal tax allowance, giving some personal allowance to a partner, splitting personal allowance between jobs.

AveEldon Sat 27-Feb-16 20:31:07

The main tax code changes coming this year are related to interest on bank accounts
Do you have to provide a pension yet?

girasol Sat 27-Feb-16 20:37:18

Thanks for your replies. The impression I got from the agency is that this is some universal change to tax codes which will affect nannies, rather than the type of change which comes about through a change in personal circumstances or whatever. I need to double check the pension question, but the agency thought I wouldn't need to make any contribution yet.

nannynick Sat 27-Feb-16 20:43:04

If you are a new employer (so setting up a PAYE scheme for first time) starting March/April your pension start date (called Staging Date) will be January 2018.

nannynick Sat 27-Feb-16 20:45:57

Everyone gets an increase in personal allowance (income tax) in April 2016. Changing from £10600 to £11000.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now