This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ibuprofen and calpol

(5 Posts)
Ashleyc123 Wed 24-Feb-16 20:56:38

So we've always been told by doc that when baba is ok antibiotic he can have calpol aswel and we give him calpol and nurofen staggered when needed.
He's teething so bad and has a bad throat and can see hurting him to swallow so we have given him calpol and ibuprofen at same time and now I'm panicking!!!!!!!!! He's 18months and I have given him the 5ml dosage of both
Have I done wrong???????

Panicking he seems fine he's asleep but I'm worried

blublutoo Wed 24-Feb-16 21:21:35

I always thought it had to be 2 hours apart. So calpol then ibuprofen 2 hours later. but must be 4 hours between each one if only using one if that makes sense. I'm sure it's fine, they aren't strong doses and they must be fairly safe for when people accidently do similar to what you did. However I would say if you're really worries, call the nhs helpline. They are better at advice than us on the Internet would be.

Maryann1975 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:25:23

Have you posted this in the wrong topic?
Anyway, the two drugs work in different ways and Are completly different so I think it's ok to give a the same time, but in doing so, you now have nothing to give in a couple of hours if they start wearing off. If you give one then the other in three hours you can manage their pain better. hope your ds feels better soon.

dementedpixie Wed 24-Feb-16 21:28:34

It is ok to give together but to maintain constant pain relief you are better to stagger the doses. Also nurofen can be given fewer times than paracetamol so you wouldn't be able to give all doses together

Ashleyc123 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:17:53

I've called the hospital and they said no harm at all in what I have given him, it's not advised to do but won't harm him. Also spoke to my fathers friend who is a pharmacist and he said exactly the same so it's ok smile he's snoring away and I'm sleeping on the floor next to him (cos I can't wait for the morning to cuddle him)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now