This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club: I'm closing!!

(57 Posts)
Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 18:48:45

A long time ago on MN we had a childminding club for discussing lots of childminding issues

I'm reinstating it to say I'm closing my large childminding setting/small nursery.

Between minimum wage increases, pension responsibilities, 30 free (ha-ha) hours and the government no longer supporting hobby businesses I can't do it any more.

Any ideas what sort of job I get now? Goodness I will miss it!!

nannynick Mon 22-Feb-16 18:56:17

Oh Katy, what will you do now? Think of your many varied skills and see if some employer in the area could use those. Council early years department?

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 18:58:05

Umm I think that closed already (based on the support I've had recently)

I thought I may add a nanny registration (is it easy to get?) & do a mix of CM/Nannying, with some cooking/sewing & account thrown in?

HSMMaCM Mon 22-Feb-16 19:10:34

Goodness KatyMac. I have been searching my brain for other options. The government seem determined to get rid of us. I have considered Early Years teacher in a private school, or something with special needs children.

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 19:15:29

I do feel disposed of - my parents have been wonderful almost without exception they have been concerned for my future

They seem to understand with uncertain health and my Dad being so ill - walking into another job is unlikely

ClaraBorne Mon 22-Feb-16 19:18:19

What is wrap around care like in your area? What about sideways and running an after school club?
Or a franchise in an area you are interested in, eg sing and sign? Moneky Music, etc.
Anything involving children and classes -cooking / sewing would be great - life skills for children? They won't learn them at school like we did :-(

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 19:20:26

I like in the country so I'd spend my life in the car for wrap around care

My friend suggested a drop in cafe with sewing/alterations /advise/craft corner

But the council wouldn't let me run that sort of business really - it's a residential street

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 19:20:49

Live not like (D'oh!!)

OddBoots Mon 22-Feb-16 19:23:45

I am not a CM but I am an Early Years Practitioner currently working in a busy setting - I'm retraining to something entirely different, I'm aiming to head into bioinformatics (I have a year left of my degree).

Early Years is getting crushed from all sides - funding not meeting costs, costs going up, the requirement to do the job of social worker with the threshold changes, influx of funded 2 year olds who have more than average additional needs, Prevent, banning of mobile phones and suspicion of everyone, piles of paperwork, ever changing inspection frameworks, schools asking for more phonics before they start ... I could go on and on.

I love the basic job, I love looking after children and supporting their play and learning but all this extra stuff is madness. I can see my manager leaving soon as she could earn double what she gets for much less stress, once our happy team has been broken up I think I will get out fast.

longdiling Mon 22-Feb-16 19:24:55

I've been pondering life after childminding too as CCSIW in Wales are getting harder to deal with (in my experience anyway). I'll be interested to see what you do next! I'm debating volunteering at a school to see if working as a Teaching Assistant might be an option. Good luck to you!

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 19:25:10

Yep - my degree is Systems analysis & change management - & I'm EYPS for all the good it does me

nannynick Mon 22-Feb-16 19:49:54

Any jobs in your nearest city which would use the systems analysis degree?
Would you want to commute to the city each day?

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 19:52:26

Not really - I can't work FT it'll have to be PT & from home would be good (if poss)

I'm trying to think of a way to market myself

Almost like a poorliness nanny you know child to ill to go in & I'll come to the house so you can go to work.....maybe & emergency stuff?

Shosha1 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:01:44

Or what about signing up with a couple of nurseries as relief.

I'm nannying now, originally full time. Now just before and after school

Love it no more bloody paperwork

humblebumblejo Mon 22-Feb-16 20:08:04

I'm considering starting as a childminder, previously worked in primary schools, just had a baby and don't want to go back to work.... this thread doesn't sound good sad

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 20:10:56

humble - I've been doing it for 13yrs, things have changed so much

TA & Nursery relief are my fall back I guess - not what I fancy

humblebumblejo Mon 22-Feb-16 20:26:32

What is not good about it now... sorry hijacking thread!

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 20:29:26

Hmm let me think - you have to earn £7.20 an hour for 24 hrs a week or you won't get Tax Credits r Universal Benefits, you have to go on courses to recognise radicalised 2 year olds, EYfunding is paid at 60% of the market rate for 15 hrs and may be lower again when it's required to be provided at 30 hrs

Anyone any other suggestions?

NattyTile Mon 22-Feb-16 21:02:11

Fostering?

Katymac Mon 22-Feb-16 21:10:08

DH & I have considered long & hard but sadly with a 2 bedroomed house it just isn't possible

HSMMaCM Mon 22-Feb-16 21:20:36

One of my friends retired from cm. Then started doing sick cover at a nursery. Now she's working there full time grin

hibbleddible Mon 22-Feb-16 22:14:42

I was going to suggest temping in a nursery as well. Other obvious options would be nannying (either signing up to an agency to do emergency care) or a part-time nanny job (they do exist!).

humblebumblejo Tue 23-Feb-16 08:28:09

Thanks for reply Katy... I am single parent so have to work 16 hours per week. I used entitledto.co.uk and put in as a childminder starting working 16 hours a week and earning £80 and it gives me my full tax credit allowance? I don't want to pester you so do you know where I can go for info? Thanks

HSMMaCM Tue 23-Feb-16 08:34:10

Contact your local authority humble and they will let you know what you need to do.

Katymac Tue 23-Feb-16 08:36:24

It probably will - I work 50 hrs & earn very little & I get full tax credits - but the changes for UC are coming & those are going to be the rules

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now