This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stupid question alert about advertising as a babysitter and charges etc

(9 Posts)
Monroe Sun 21-Feb-16 20:14:40

I used to be a registered childminder but went back to work full time around a year ago and did not stay on the childcare register.

I am returning to uni full time soon and a friend suggested offering babysitting services as a way of making some income while studying as it will be extremely difficult to commit to more regular work.

So for my questions!
How and where would I advertise my services?
Are there agencies you can register with?
What is the going rate charged and is there anything else I should consider? Thanks

Pidapie Sun 21-Feb-16 20:20:29

I have found childcare through childcare.co.uk and facebook childcare groups. Going rates in my area in South East England is £5-7 per hour before midnight, and more after midnight.

lovelynannytobe Sun 21-Feb-16 20:23:43

sitters.co.uk for rates look on their website too.

Monroe Sun 21-Feb-16 20:31:46

That's great, thank you.

I could advertise on childcare.co.uk but I remember when childminding they charged around £20 a month if you wanted parents to be able to contact you but I'll certainly have a look. Like wise sitters.co.uk, will check them out now, thank you

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 21-Feb-16 23:06:47

do you still have your first aid? if not then redo

sitters prob your best to get regular work tho generally nmw

Monroe Mon 22-Feb-16 07:47:59

Thanks Blondes, my first aid has expired so good idea about getting it renewed.

I've got a few months to get it sorted so will look out for some training

Nmw not great but every little will help

blublutoo Mon 22-Feb-16 12:25:04

Facebook groups, childcare.co.uk (you can pay £10 for a week for gold membership which I do now and again!) are the main ones! I avoid agencies because I find you get less money. Going rate is £8 per hour here. South West.

hibbleddible Mon 22-Feb-16 22:01:22

I would advertise yourself on places like Gumtree, local libraries/cafes etc, otherwise you either have to accept a very low wage, or pay a big commission.

Where are you? The going rate depends very much on your location. In London it is £10/hour+, but as others have pointed out, other areas can be much less.

Monroe Tue 23-Feb-16 11:04:31

Thank you very much, I'm in the north west.

I'll look at all the sites mentioned but will also advertise personally as well on facebook and gumtree. I can think of a few friends already who have little family support and may be grateful for a familiar face to babysit. Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now