This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Salary VS hourly wage

(5 Posts)
KelseyRobx Wed 10-Feb-16 14:58:01

Hi there, well the title speaks for itself.. what is the difference between a salary and hourly wage?

My current position will be coming to an end in September (little one goes to school full time) and I have been approached by a lady who will be looking for a full time nanny for her newborn in October.
It's really close to home and they seem like a nice family (from what I can tell on messages etc) so would like to definitely give it a go.
I'm meeting her next week so I will get more details then but I just wanted some information, if any one can help me. I've only ever been paid an hourly wage so a salary is all new to me and I have no idea how it works.
This is the message she sent me yesterday:

Hi, we would be offering full time employment from October. We aren't entitled to tax credits but would like to use salary exchange (for tax relief purposes) Is October too late for you?

If any one can help me and give me a bit of information that would be great!
Many thanks

Iguessyourestuckwithme Wed 10-Feb-16 15:00:16

It's the same - I am paid a salary which means I am paid for 48 hours at £p/h and am guaranteed this every month if I do more I am paid more if I do less I am still paid the same.

QforCucumber Wed 10-Feb-16 15:07:46

by saying salary exchange does she not mean that they are looking to use childcare vouchers which she will exchange part of her salary for when at work towards paying you as she will get tax relief on those?

nannynick Wed 10-Feb-16 16:07:07

I would wonder if she means childcare vouchers.

I like agreeing an annual salary as it makes it clearer that it is paid all year round not just for actual hours worked. It is the same as multiplying out the hourly rate to over a full year including holiday pay.

jclm Thu 11-Feb-16 10:51:55

Yes she wants to use childcare vouchers. are you registered with Ofsted? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now