This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice needed

(20 Posts)
Amy214 Fri 29-Jan-16 15:36:08

I currently look after my niece whilst her parents go to work, i have a 2 year old daughter aswell, i wake up at 7am to watch my niece until around 12pm when she goes to nursery mon-thurs, on a friday she is here until 4pm, she has breakfast and lunch here and i drive her to nursery which is 6 miles away so i drive about 50 miles a week, currently they only give me £100 a month i said this was fine to begin with but now i have realised how much money im paying out on fuel, food, electricity and gas this doesnt even cover it. I was thinking about asking for £200 a month as they get paid £3500 a month combined, how much should i ask for? I dont like to be greedy but i feel like they are laughing behind my back

DonkeyOaty Fri 29-Jan-16 15:52:22

I don't imagine for a moment that they are laughing at you.

Why not do a little calculation:
mileage at current rate (I think it's 45p per mile) so 50 x £.45 = £22.50 per week x52 ÷12 = £97.50

Snacks/cereals/fruit costs from your supermarket receipts.

Nappies/wipes and other sundries

Lay it all out, explain that you've found you're severely out of pocket so please could they increase the amount to £x.xx

If not then you'll have to decide if it's worth carrying on (monetarily NO but family, maybe) if not then they'll have to find alternative care.

Amy214 Fri 29-Jan-16 15:59:17

I'll calculate it now and hopefully they understand

cansu Sat 06-Feb-16 09:34:37

They are definitely taking the piss you are doing at least 100 hoyrs a month of childcare so thats a pound an hour not counting fuel and food. Start standing up fir yourself.

longdiling Sat 06-Feb-16 09:45:00

I would charge around that a week as a childminder and I'm cheap compared to some in my area. You need to at least cover the costs, you are saving them a fortune per month so you shouldn't be out of pocket.

Amy214 Sat 06-Feb-16 10:51:18

They have said that i am cheaper than a childminder and they think its great, so im definitely going to ask them to pay more as its not cheap

longdiling Sat 06-Feb-16 10:54:34

Are you doing this out of love and enjoyment or is it supposed to be an income for you? If it's the latter then you need to ask for a Lot more.

HSMMaCM Sat 06-Feb-16 15:41:48

It needs to be more to cover your costs and more than that if you want any extra money for it.

Amy214 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:30:50

I was doing it because i didnt feel comfortable with a stranger watching her i felt as though because i have spare time why not as long as they cover my costs then thats fine i initially thought £100 a month would be fine but ive now realised that im struggling and its pretty expensive i thought about asking for more but i didnt want to seem rude

Nickname1980 Sat 06-Feb-16 22:06:03

I agree with the previous posters - you definitely need to ask for more. You're doing a lot for them, even if you're doing it out of love. You don't want to end up out of pocket!

I'm surprised they haven't offered more, to be honest.

Explaining how much childcare costs you in detail, like DonkeyOaty said, should stop it from being too awkward!

Amy214 Sat 06-Feb-16 23:14:49

Thanks for all your help! smile

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Feb-16 16:01:54

you have dn 29hrs a week for £25?????

at your home

are you a registered cm?

Amy214 Sun 07-Feb-16 16:41:15

No im not a childminder they asked if i could look after her whilst they work and i said it would be ok only until my daughter goes to nursery because i would be returning to work aswell, i initially thought £100 would be fine

Are you in the UK? I think theyre actually breaking the law by paying you if you're not a registered cm.

harridan50 Sun 07-Feb-16 16:46:10

I do think as you are accepting money you do need to be registered as a childminder.

Jesabel Sun 07-Feb-16 16:46:14

Relatives don't have to register as childminders. The only issue for the OP is tax if they pay her over the threshold.

Amy214 Sun 07-Feb-16 20:39:34

I am in the uk and its family so surely we arent breaking any laws? I am still way under the tax threshold

PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 07-Feb-16 20:51:51

Whilst it's lovely that you want to help out, you really need to revisit the conversation about pay as based on the standard 45p a mile and a very conservative 50p a meal, you're actually out of pocket let alone earning for your time.

In your shoes I would go back and explain this and request that they pay for your fuel at the standard rate (or there's no profit here, it's the actual cost of filling & running your car), get them to send a packed lunch & snack if required and then pay you something for the childcare. You should be getting well over £200 and even then they're getting a bargain IMO

Amy214 Sun 07-Feb-16 23:00:37

I asked last week if they could send over a packed lunch with her but they keep forgetting and i dont want her too go hungry, i'll definitely ask if they could contribute more especially towards petrol and meals

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 07-Feb-16 23:04:50

i think they are taking the piss out of you over childcare/money/petrol/and no food for their dd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now