This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

how to get outstanding

(16 Posts)
howiloveanicecupoftea Fri 29-Jan-16 10:54:15

If you got outstanding at your inspection how do you think you got it ?

NickNacks Fri 29-Jan-16 13:01:37

Great links with other settings and parents
Talked to the children lots and gave them plenty of time to answer.
A detailed written self evaluation (I did my own version of the SEF)
Thorough observations and evaluations of the children's progress
Detailed knowledge of policies, procedures and legislation (safeguarding, prevent, British values etc)
Appropriate planning which focuses on the children's interests and next steps
Range of activities each and every day.
Evidence of my daily practice, but just on the inspection day.

NickNacks Fri 29-Jan-16 13:02:26

That should be not just on inspection day!

HSMMaCM Fri 29-Jan-16 15:08:07

What nicknacks said. Also being able to link any activity to areas of learning without thinking about it, adapting an activity when different aged children joined in half way through.

And yes ... Not worrying about the inspection, because it's what we do every day.

fudgesmummy Fri 29-Jan-16 21:18:42

Agree with the above, I do the ofsted sef though.
-Having good quality resorces.
-lots of natural, openended resorces.
-children able to access things independently.
-willingness to work with parents with settling in sessions etc

hookiewookie29 Sat 30-Jan-16 21:36:37

Most of the time, it's all down to which inspector you get. They all inspect differently and look for different things....which is very annoying!

Littlef00t Sat 30-Jan-16 21:51:44

My cm did all the talking and made sure she highlighted everything so the inspector wouldn't miss all the extra touches. Don't know specifically what she does outstandingly, just that she's fab!

luckylou Mon 01-Feb-16 23:11:05

I agree with hookie. It very much depends on the inspector. Sorry.

I got outstanding at my recent inspection. I honestly put it down to having an inspector that 'got' me, and liked the way I worked. The inspector at my last inspection didn't.

This time, the inspector couldn't praise relationship with parents highly enough. The previous one rated me 'satisfactory' in that area simply because I didn't use 'All About Me' forms when children started with me - my practice hadn't changed one bit between inspections.

As someone on here once said - think it was someone called Tiggy or similar - it's one inspector's opinion on one day.

All that said:

Make sure you know safeguarding inside out - and DON'T forget to include no mobile phones in your policy.

Give parents a questionnaire to complete; parent feedback really is valued.

Make sure you have up to date written profiles - whatever is said about there being no need for this, they like to see them.

Try to relax (I know!) and talk to the children as naturally as possible - they're looking at your interactions,

I didn't complete my SEF. If you don't, be prepared - the inspector will talk you through any sections you haven't completed!

If I think of anything to add (it's late) I'll come back

Iwantakitchen Thu 04-Feb-16 10:36:41

Do you have good support from your local council? Mine came over for a pre visit and we went through all child protection procedures to make sure I had all the latest version of documents and procedures. She had a checklist of all the documents, posters and certificates I needed to have. You can't get outstanding if those are not in places, clear and in good order.

My inspector was very clear that the reason I got outstanding is because I exceeded expectations in many areas - for example, my planning and observations includes how I teach British values which is not a requirement as such but good practice. I have a lot of resources to teach maths, which was praised by the inspector. I have a fantastic little book corner with lots of books in English and in French and many books are about different cultures and religions. I have a large poster on how to support language development and have received training in speech and language development. I have a nice poster about the characteristics of effective learning and integrate it in what I do with the children.

I had a Good in my previous inspection 4 years ago and I can say with confidence that I have a lot more in place now and I think I am a much better childminder which is why I just got Outstanding. I worked really hard for it.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 04-Feb-16 11:09:40

I would actively choose good over outstanding. I don't want a childminder that has been doing hours of paperwork in the evenings. Equally if my child was playing I would want play to be the priority , not the childminder pre occupied with what EYFS target they can evidence.

Iwantakitchen Thu 04-Feb-16 12:21:17

I disagree with you andnowitsseven. I would personally prefer a childminder who has outstanding knowledge and understanding of child protection and safeguarding.

AndNowItsSeven Thu 04-Feb-16 12:46:22

Child protection and safe guarding of course but you need more than that for an outstanding rating. The amount of paperwork is ridiculous. My best friend was a cm she gave it up in the end because the paperwork took away time for the children. Instead of planning fun activities her time was taking up filling in endless forms and box ticking.

NickNacks Thu 04-Feb-16 13:11:30

I don't do hours and hours of paperwork. Many (most?) childminders are doing far too much paperwork and it's not needed to receive an outstanding grade.

HSMMaCM Thu 04-Feb-16 13:45:08

I agree nicknacks. I certainly don't do all the paperwork suggested. I am asked to speak at new minders training, to explain to them to find the system that works for them, rather than trying to do something which takes hours every day. For some this is an online system, for others it is post it notes, for me it is word and excel documents on my trusty laptop where I copy the notes and pictures from my phone. There are so many different ways to make your life easier, it's just a case of finding the right one.

My inspector was happy that I had my learning journeys on my laptop and hadn't spent ££££ and hours printing and filing.

Iwantakitchen Thu 04-Feb-16 13:58:12

It's really not that bad. I write notes about achievements etc on post it notes it takes five minutes a day and I do full observations every couple of weeks. It's not endless paperwork. The worst bit for be and most time consuming is cooking fresh meals from scratch! That takes a lot more time than paperwork.

HSMMaCM Thu 04-Feb-16 15:52:16

You just need 3 things I think (let me know if I missed anything)
1 - know the rules / policies / procedures
2 - know where the children are in EYFS
3 - communicate with parents

Ofsted will simply ask for proof that the above criteria are met.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now