This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Wwyd-- when to go back to work

(7 Posts)
failingmammalian Mon 25-Jan-16 14:40:59

Help needed as I dither and torture myself over this decision. From the baby's point of view (and that of my three year old), would it be best to
A) go back to work when baby is nine months, have a nanny for five months and then go to
Nursery at 14 months
B) take the full year And send baby to nursery at a year.
There are other factors of course but purely from the baby's point of
View what do
You wise women think is best ? When I go back its full
Time and pretty full on. Partner works at home
Tho and does a leisurely morning nursery run so
They wouldn't start nursery till 930
Am ish.
Thanks!

NickNacks Mon 25-Jan-16 14:41:55

Why a nanny for 5 months first?

failingmammalian Mon 25-Jan-16 14:58:59

Because the nursery i like (where my daughter is) won't take
Till September (or July/August -- winging it a bit. They do sept only entry). Also I don't want him going to
Nursery so young.

Jinxxx Mon 25-Jan-16 17:39:26

Purely from the baby's point of view, 9-12 months is not great timing to start nursery. If he goes straight from home, he will of course miss you, and if he has a nanny, he will also miss the nanny. Better to start him at nursery at six or seven months so he will be settled there before he knows any different.

11776622 Tue 26-Jan-16 12:42:46

Childminder? X

Totallyoutoforder Tue 26-Jan-16 13:00:29

Agree with Jinxxx, 9-12 m is when separation anxiety kicks in. It took DC1 3 months to settle in, he started nursery at 10mo (I was a clueless first time mum) and was absolutely fine afterwards. DC2 started when 13 mo, she had no major issue but then she came with me to nursery every day if not twice a day to pick up/drop off older sibling. That might have had its impact too, the place was somehow familiar. Good luck OP with your decision.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 26-Jan-16 13:59:13

But your older child is 3? I'd be looking for a solution that is going to work when they start school nursery? So childminder or FT nanny/nannyshare I guess?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now