This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice on home help / babysitter rates please

(13 Posts)
Lilipot15 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:38:20

I have two young kids (presently both under two) and am struggling with keeping them both happy at the end of the day. Baby still needs a third nap and toddler getting tired and needs more attention. Baby won't take that nap in cot despite best efforts.
The daughter of a family friend is interested in some babysitting. I would be around - at worst walking baby around the street to get to sleep then bring in in pram. In the long run, when that nap is dropped I'm looking for someone to keep both kids entertained whilst I tidy up / get tea ready etc....presently that is done by CBeebies!
It would likely be just once or twice a week, with the aim of more babysitting work in evenings once kids older.
This young woman works as a teaching assistant.
I have no idea what the going rate is for this sort of role? Don't want to start discussing it without a reasonable idea to avoid embarrassment all round.
Advice needed please!

RingUpRingRingDown Wed 20-Jan-16 21:46:44

Going rate for babysitters is £5 per hour here (not SE). Perhaps a bit more if they have to do more (normally it is watch tv whilst children are in bed).

Twistedheartache Wed 20-Jan-16 21:48:44

I pay Dd1's old nursery keyworker £7ph for babysitting - depending on time she feeds them/puts them to bed etc so worth it!

Lilipot15 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:53:47

Thanks, I was thinking at least £5 per hour. I will be in the house, but she has a day job and I don't want to insult her by proposing too little. Hopefully it would lead on to more frequent evening babysitting as they got older.

AuditAngel Wed 20-Jan-16 21:56:31

Where I am babysitting is generally £10 per hour. When I have used paid babysitters, it has been staff from DD2's (former) nursery

writingonthewall Wed 20-Jan-16 22:01:30

You might get more replies if you report your post and ask MN to move it to the home childcare forum.

Lilipot15 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:09:14

Thank you. I'll do that.

Lilipot15 Thu 21-Jan-16 09:13:31

Any other thoughts here? Don't want to be vastly off the mark - I'm only looking for a couple of hours once or twice a week and she would not be in sole charge of the two of them. Might be left with my toddler whilst I'm out with the pram in the street, or alternatively walking the baby to sleep. £7.50 per hour??
We are not in London and she would drive 10 mins to us.

Lilipot15 Thu 21-Jan-16 16:03:14

Anyone else?

nannynick Thu 21-Jan-16 19:03:38

You would need to offer at least National Minimum Wage. If they are 25+ then also look at National Living Wage (which starts in April at £7.20).

So you are right at pitching it around the £7.50 mark and seeing what they say... it is always easier to increase salary than it is to decrease it. So offer low to start and then you could offer a payrise if all goes well.

Sounds like you are offering a job, rather than she offering you a service, so you need to look at your responsibilities as an employer.

Lilipot15 Thu 21-Jan-16 19:35:33

Thanks, that is helpful

Jw35 Thu 21-Jan-16 20:03:22

£7 an hour minimum

justmemeandi Fri 22-Jan-16 11:59:48

I get £8 per hour for babysitting. That's evening babysitting. Daytime I try £9 but sometimes people won't pay it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now