This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What parts of nannying do you particularly enjoy and what do you dislike?

(18 Posts)
nannybea Wed 20-Jan-16 16:45:37

Hi,

I have been asked this question

What parts of nannying do you particularly enjoy and what do you dislike?

on a nanny application, I am not sure what to write for dislike (but spin in a positive way).

Thankyou

Callaird Wed 20-Jan-16 22:11:28

I just put - being disrespected. Parents being late home with no phone call/text. A messy house in the morning/Monday morning, when I left it tidy when I left. Not being paid on time.

Can't think what else, I haven't been asked that question in a long time.

nbee84 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:23:58

I usually say something like I'm not very good at ironing and don't enjoy it - it's something that isn't negative about the children and sometimes has a positive effect in that the parents will say not to worry about ironing or just do uniforms or something.

Unfortunately didn't work for my current job - they like everything ironed including vests, babygros and muslins! Though since baby no 3 came along mb now sends all the sheets and duvets out to an ironing lady as it was getting impossible for me to keep on top of it all grin shock

peppielillyan Wed 20-Jan-16 22:38:49

what i like
The opportunity to take care of other family's most precious ones, contribute to their learning and development and be responsible as it is about your family.

what i dont like
parents being secretive, and lacking proper judgement about their duties as parents

BooAvenue Wed 20-Jan-16 23:10:18

parents being secretive, and lacking proper judgement about their duties as parents

I cannot explain why, but as a perspective employer that would rile me.

All other responses up thread I would think fair enough!

PotOfYoghurt Wed 20-Jan-16 23:19:51

Micromanaging.

BooAvenue Wed 20-Jan-16 23:26:18

Interesting a few people have said micromanaging, could you give examples? I employ a nanny and I don't want to fall into that trap!

peppielillyan Wed 20-Jan-16 23:34:18

BooAvenue
please do not look at the nanny as the woman you pay to do whatever you order her, just because you are the boss.
in the business of bringing up children there are no bosses. we work together and share everything.

BooAvenue Wed 20-Jan-16 23:44:15

Thanks peppie I like to think I do that, but then I worry I can be a bit controlling at times e.g. I'd like the kids to try and eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg per day, not loads of chips etc. so not dictating diet but some clear guidelines.

PowerPantsRule Wed 20-Jan-16 23:49:58

That sounds reasonable Boo! I can see where peppie is coming from...the nanny I employed to be my maternity nurse knew so much more about babies...I was clueless. She taught me so much and we were a team (admittedly i was a rather crap member of the team).

littleladyluna Thu 21-Jan-16 22:38:22

Micromanaging in my eyes is more that you have a very set way of doing something (as a parent), however you don't communicate this to your nanny (and actually, in the grand scheme of things, you don't need to).

So telling me you want your children to have at least their 5 a day, to wear their helmets, knee pads etc when out on the scooter, and no screen time except on weekends is totally fine. That is important stuff that actually varies from family to family and is important to you. This is the benefit of hiring a nanny, we perpetuate your parenting preferences.

Micromanaging is telling me how to feed your child (method), exactly how you want me to discipline (instead of a blanket gentle discipline, or firm but fair approach), telling me it's too wet to go out, telling me not to allow the child to use scissors as they're too young etc. I have my own style, and want to work for a family who embrace this. Ultimately, as an experienced childcarer I have lots of common sense and like to use my judgement, and not allowing an experienced nanny to use his/her judgment is quite insulting. I am very capable of following instructions, but working for a micromanager is exhausting and means that I am constantly second guessing. Not a pleasant working environment.

I hope that makes sense!

BooAvenue Thu 21-Jan-16 23:21:08

Yes that makes sense!

I guess an example is "please could they eat 5 a day" but not organising exactly what they eat at what times. Our nanny, to be fair does at least half of the family cooking and we usually just let her get on with it as she's pretty good with making healthy, low carb meals.

Borninthe60s Thu 21-Jan-16 23:34:15

I enjoy spending time with children and seeing them grow and develop.

I don't enjoy the paperwork (I'm ofsted voluntary registered) but it's a necessary evil and good practice.

littleladyluna Thu 21-Jan-16 23:47:12

Yes Boo, exactly. Let us know your preferences and then allow us to bring our own style within those parameters. I'm sure your nanny is very happy to be able to just get on with it smile

NannyNim Fri 22-Jan-16 21:33:06

I like:
Building a loving relationship with the children in my care, having fun with them, and playing a role in the people they will become in the future.

I dislike:
Ineffective communication.
E.g. MumBoss ringing at 6 (the time I expect her home) to say she'll be another hour. I don't finish until 7 and DadBoss works from home so is there to take over but it still throws my routine and the child is expecting her home too.
Or even worse - when she rings DadBoss (he has a separate phone line in his office) to say she'll be late but not me and I'm left watching the clock and reassuring the child that Mummy will be home soon but in actual fact it's going to be another hour or so and DadBoss hasn't relayed that to me.
They may sound like small things but when they happen once a week or so they do start to grate....

BooAvenue Fri 22-Jan-16 22:19:56

Nanny perhaps I am guilty of that. It's rare that I'll call at 6 if I'm meant to be home at 6 but sometimes meetings do overrun and it can't be helped.

Also I can reasonably often end up needing to stay later than planned, in order to ensure I retain my flexible working pattern which means I get the quality time with my DC. Obviously id ideally phone at say 5.30 if I was meant to be home at 6 (or as early as I knew I'd be late) and I'd never do it if DH wasn't there to take over, but surely that flexibility is one of the benefits of having a nanny and not a CM?

Callaird Fri 22-Jan-16 23:51:10

We all understand that sometimes things come up that are unavoidable and most nannies are very flexible on these occasions but if I was due to finish at 6:30 and my boss text/called me at 6:30 to say that she was just leaving, I'd be mightily pissed off. Thankfully my boss will make an excuse to leave an over running meeting to give me a quick call to say it's over running and she'll be 15/20/30/60 minutes late or that DB will be home at xx time.

I'm contracted until 7:30, 9 times out of 10 MB is home by 6:30 but she always lets me know if she is running late as soon as humanly possible, she also apologises profusely even though I still technically on duty!

However, I think NannyNim means that her boss is usually due home at 6 so she tells the children that mummy will be home to do bath time/stories/say goodnight and then she had to be the bearer of bad news and upset the children if MB hasn't let her know that she is running late.

NannyNim Sat 23-Jan-16 11:53:28

Boo:
Because of her work I know that she can potentially get caught up in things and emergencies happen and I have to be flexible about when she gets home. That's why I'm paid that extra hour and I don't mind. But it's the call at 6 that says "I'm just popping to the shop..." As I said, it doesn't affect me as much as the child and Calliard is right - I have to be the one to tell the little one who's desperate to see Mummy that she's not going to be home to do bath after all.
It can also lead to DadBoss saying "Oh.... But I have a mountain of paperwork to do... Can you do bed?"

And I DON'T mind. I love the family to bits and can't imagine better employers but it does throw my whole routine and I know the child can get confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now