This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What to offer as salary etc for nanny in New York

(5 Posts)
JGTB Wed 20-Jan-16 09:12:51

Moving to New York in August with husband and baby who will be 1 by then. Planning (hoping) to have one or two more and also to work, so thinking about childcare. Could organise a visa for a UK nanny through work and will have room where we will be living for this. Am wondering:

- if I offer sponsored visa and board and lodging in New York (in a nice apartment in a nice bit of Manhattan), what sort of salary would be expected on top?
- would/should this depend on how many babies are being looked after?
- is it ok to say nanny can child mind one or two more similar age babies at same time, to bring in more income (e.g. Up to a limit of three?)
- need to offer reasonable time off, obviously - presumably weekends, one day a week, at least a couple of evenings, and say four (or five or six?) weeks' paid holiday, and something for flights home? Is there a guide anywhere to what is reasonable?

Grateful for any wisdom/insights others can offer!

Whatsthematterwithme Wed 20-Jan-16 19:54:42

It sounds like you need a full-time nanny working 55-60h a week, right? An experienced nanny would generally be paid $600 to $900+ per week plus room and board, plus paid vacation and 3-5 paid sick days.

peppielillyan Wed 20-Jan-16 22:47:37

and why would you need a nanny from UK?

Piratespoo Wed 20-Jan-16 22:56:30

Do you mean you want her to look after other children other than yours at the same time? Why? That seems very odd. And why employ a uk nanny? Much cheaper to employ an American then there are no flights etc to pay for (and cheaper as have less employment rights and maternity pay etc)

Ebb Thu 21-Jan-16 09:53:13

I was getting $600 a week working 7.30am - 7pm, with separate flat ( part of the main house ) two children 5mths and 6yo. That was in 2001. A quick Google of New York nanny agencies suggests anything from $500 to $1000 a week. here for example

It's really hard to get a visa for America so if you can get one through work then I imagine you'll have a fair bit of interest from English Nannies. I loved working in America and my boss spent the entire time trying to marry me off so I could stay. grin

If you go for an American nanny just check their experience/qualifications. A lot are degree educated but not necessarily in Childcare. Two weeks seemed to be the standard holiday when I was there so if you can offer 4 weeks then I'm sure that'd be great. I worked Tues-Sat but most of the other Nannies worked Mon-Fri so I missed out quite a bit on the social scene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now