This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Au Pair+ pay - does this sound right?

(7 Posts)
MtnBikeChick Tue 19-Jan-16 07:59:16

I am looking for an au pair with experience (ie more of an au pair plus/junior nanny). I plan to pay through PaYe as I have paid nannies in the past. The hours will be before and after school in term time (25 hours a week) and 10 hours a day, 3-4 days a week in holidays (although at least 6-7 weeks of holidays we will take annual leave so she/he won't need to work)

I plan to offer (including all good, bills,Internet, monthly oyster travel card and en suite room):

£150 pw in term time
£300 pw in holidays

How does this sound? Obviously any tax and NI will be paid on top of that, by me.

Cindy34 Tue 19-Jan-16 09:46:37

Sounds fine to me.

Only thing that you may want to look at is pension. As you are already an employer your pension stagig date may be quite soon. At £150 per week I don't think they would qualify for a pension but at £300 a week - that might trigger it, though you may be able to defer for a while. Just something to look in to with your PAYE provider.

peppielillyan Wed 20-Jan-16 00:14:23

you are extremely generous OP

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 20-Jan-16 06:31:04

Seems very fair in the holidays at £300/week for 3days that's £10/hr so more than your hrly term time rate so maybe want to consider the hrly rate a little more. Also will you be using 7weeks annual leave as a perk but saying it all has to be taken at your choice.

SummerMonths Wed 20-Jan-16 06:47:57

Sounds fine. I don't see how that's an au pair post though. Au pairs don't have experience, do fewer hours and get pocket money while living as part of the family. You need a live in nanny which is fine as you intend to pay a nanny wage.

catbasilio Sat 23-Jan-16 23:56:58

Oh god that is very generous. I pay £90 per week for 25 hours and bus travelcard.

MtnBikeChick Wed 16-Mar-16 08:15:42

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I am probably wrong in thinking of this as an Au Pair type role. it is really a junior nanny. I have found someone via an Au Pair agency but she is a little older and has 5 years kindergarten and primary school teaching experience. I think I need to be careful calling her an au pair as this could cause problems as she will be paid more than other au pairs she meets locally. She is really a nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now