This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Firm but fair

(6 Posts)
LouisaX1 Sat 16-Jan-16 16:49:52

I have my main job working four days a week looking after two perfect little boys so quite happy there - I've taken on another job for a shift worker working on Saturday and Sunday's and sometimes Tuesday's and Thursday's. I was quite happy to do it as adhoc babysitting because I have my main job that pays every week so no need for contracted hours with this one.

I've decided that if it becomes more hassle than what it's worth then I'm going to give it up but I just want to know people's opinions on whether I'm being fair or judging the situation too quickly.

My concerns:

I've asked her to provide me with a rota so I know when she needs me (I have several other families I babysit for and I don't want to turn them away and lose income if she doesn't need me) so far she hasn't provided me with one. It's frustrating when I have other families contacting with me dates and I can't give them an answer.

Because she's a shift worker she gets her rota for a month but the company she works for are aloud to change her shifts at any point.
She's asked me to be super flexible (which I think I am to some degree).
What she means by that I don't know? Does she expect me to cancel plans or other jobs if suddenly she has to go into work...

She changes the start times about 2 hours before I'm suppose to start, usually with no apology.
This is the most frustrating problem of them all as its so annoying when you expect a certain amount of money and then you don't get it - she also thinks she's doing me a favour when she pushes the start time back or cancels because I don't have to come into "work" when in fact I've turned down other jobs so lost income.

I understand this is the whole point of doing adhoc work and I have no problem with doing it but I'm just stating to wonder, is it more hassle than what it's worth?

I don't have a cancel fee or anything like that in my policies but a lot of people including my main employer has said I should do one otherwise people will continue to take advantage.
I want to be firm but fair and make sure that parents understand they can't mess me around, this is after all how I make my living.

Thoughts?

zipzap Sat 16-Jan-16 17:45:11

I'd tell her that if she doesn't tell you when she needs you then it's first come first served - this also gets over the point that she can't expect you to turn work away just in case she gets work.

Also if she books you and then changes the time with less than 24 hours (or whatever you think - maybe 48?) notice then she still needs to pay for the time that she has booked - and any additional time that is added on top (so if she changes 10-4 to 12-6 the afternoon before then she pays for 10-6). And that you might want to charge a surcharge or premium if she books with less than 24/48 hours notice.

If she wants you to be superflexible then unfortunately she has to pay for that - she can't expect you to suffer quality of life or financially because she hasn't asked you in advance, especially when she could have done in plenty of time.

Is she going to like it? No, of course not. However it sounds like she is currently taking advantage of you and your helpfulness. I suspect that she will struggle to find others as flexible without such conditions attached - unfortunately that's par for the course when you need a service like this but want it to be really flexible!

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 16-Jan-16 22:46:19

I do ad hoc work and agree first come first served basis - so yes there may be times you can't work for her but unless she employs you she can't get annoyed you aren't at her beck and call

Also have a cancellation period of 48hrs

insancerre Sun 17-Jan-16 08:01:30

So she wants you to be available when she needs you but isn't willing to pay you if she doesn't need you?
She gets a rota a month in advance but her employer can change it at short notice?
I think she probably didn't realise how much she is mucking you around because she thinks its normal as that's how her employer treats her
I would be inclined to walk away. It sounds like too much hassle and likely to cost you financially if you are turning down other work.

writingonthewall Sun 17-Jan-16 09:13:31

Ad hoc cuts both ways. You'll work for her if you're free and not if you're busy.

jclm Sun 17-Jan-16 22:27:17

As the others have said, you are a self employed nanny so are free to turn down work with her if it clashes with other commitments.

She will have to compile a list of several nannies/babysitters/childminders so that if you cannot work, she can ring around and find someone else at such short notice. Or pay emergency nanny rates to an agency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now