This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice wanted from Mum's with after school care

(13 Posts)
SophieB24 Fri 15-Jan-16 11:30:55

Hi all,

I have decided to offer after school childcare in North London (Highgate) in order to make some extra money (I'm saving up to start my own family!).

I have only about a years worth of experience, but my references are good. I am a Master's student in History of Art and work 9-3pm at a university where I offer writing support.

I've advertised at £6PH as I don't boast any childcare qualifications. I have advertised as happy to help with homework and as a good cook (which I believe to be true!). A mother of a 6 year old girl has asked if I will collect her daughter from school each evening at 6pm and take her home to care for her until 8pm. They live quite near me, but as I will have to travel home by bus, I will be charging £2 for those 20 minutes too.

Do you think what I'm charging is reasonable? Perhaps too low? Is charging for my journey home reasonable? Any other thoughts?!

Any advice/commmentary would be great appreciated!

Allyoucaneat Fri 15-Jan-16 11:40:51

You shouldn't charge for your travel time, I don't know anyone who gets paid for their travel time to/from work.

£6ph sounds very reasonable. Is that even minimum wage?

SophieB24 Fri 15-Jan-16 12:07:41

Oh OK. My employer pays for my travel-card so I just assumed it was standard practice!

I didn't think about that actually. I have a salary so no idea what min. wage is! I don't mind exploiting myself though haha. If I can help out a less well-off family whilst making some extra money then that's great. Thanks for your advice.

lovelynannytobe Fri 15-Jan-16 13:24:49

You've asked for to little IMO. If you travel from school to her house I would be asking for travelling cost back and afterschool nannies are about £15/h. £6 is not even minimum wage. Have a look at local nanny agencies ... the chances are you'll get very quickly snapped up by a more local family who will pay the going rate and you will start work earlier (6pm start is not attractive at all).

Duckdeamon Fri 15-Jan-16 13:28:52

Your legal status would be employed nanny IMO, so to be all above board your employer would need to pay NMW and look into proper tax arrangements.

Before seeking roles you should look into any risks to you of "cash in hand" arrangements.

£6 is way too low IMO: I used to get that in the North as a teen in the 90s, with no childcare experience!

Duckdeamon Fri 15-Jan-16 13:29:50

Expect most people will want pick up from school until later. And holiday care.

SophieB24 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:25:40

Hi 'lovelynannytobe' Thanks so much for your detailed reply. The 6pm start is handy for me as I work until 3pm on the other side of London, so that gives me time to pop home for dinner and relax for a while.

SophieB24 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:28:52

Thanks, Duckdeamon. Yes, I'm sure the mother is not dodgy and will ensure everything is, as you say, above board!
The short hours are great for me (studying for an MA and working 30 hours per week at a university keeps me busy the rest of the time), but I will definitely research the minimum wage and let the family know. Thanks!

SophieB24 Fri 15-Jan-16 14:35:28

Just found this quote on another thread:

Babysitting is between 6pm and 2am, as that is the period of time in The Childcare Act 2006 which is exempt from registration.
The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008
~~~ Begin Quote ~~~
Exempt childminding
3.?(1) The circumstances referred to in articles 2(1) and 2(3) are where a person makes the provision(2)?
(a)for?
(i)a child or children for particular parents, wholly or mainly in the home of the parents, or
(ii)a child or children for particular parents (?the first parents?) and, in addition, for a child or children for different parents (?the second parents?), wholly or mainly in the home of the first parents or the second parents or in both homes;
(b)for a particular child for two hours or less per day; or
(c)only between 6pm and 2am.
~~~ End Quote ~~~

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 15-Jan-16 14:39:07

£6 is very low for London!

nannynick Fri 15-Jan-16 17:03:15

Babysitting is also occasional, adhoc. Anything that is a permanent arrangement will most likely fall under employment.

Think very carefully about if you really want to commit to doing something 5 days a week. You need to like the job and for it to be in a good location. You want to avoid having too high travel costs and you need a salary that reflects the responsibility involved.

tshirtsuntan Fri 15-Jan-16 18:43:03

Highgate will usually be at least £10 per hour so if you're offering to do 2 hours for £14 (Inc your £2 travel charge) it's extremely cheap and you may miss out on other offers as parents may be suspicious as to why you are so much cheaper.

PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 16-Jan-16 21:48:05

I think now you've advertised at £6ph you're going to have to stick to that but I would at least ask for minimum 3 hrs pay plus travel expenses. I would soon regret agreeing to travel across London & not getting home until 8:30pm for £14.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now