This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What would you class me as?

(36 Posts)
ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:37:57

I am 17 and in full time education I look after two boys aged 8 and 10 both with autism usually two days per week for a few hours. This can be Thursdays anytime from 4 - 11, Saturdays anytime up until 11 and Sundays. I am not qualified, I took a crash first aid course with my school and have an Autism awareness diploma. I get paid £5 an hour. I am really confused as to what I would class myself, as I put the boys food on, play with them, take them to the park, soft play. Can anyone help me??

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:38:48

I also put them to bed and read to them.

Bonkerz Fri 08-Jan-16 10:46:49

If this is in the children's home then you could say you are a nanny and may need to pay for insurance for yourself. If you don't have insurance then you are a home help/babysitter.

Penfold007 Fri 08-Jan-16 10:51:18

Your a full time pupil in compulsory full time education who babysit s (cash in hand).

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 11:02:21

This is in the children's home and I didn't know I might have to get insurance, I do get cash in hand but I thought because I work during the day and do a lot more work than the standard babysitter I wouldn't be classed as this.

titchy Fri 08-Jan-16 11:17:10

Babysitter. Working a LOT!

HSMMaCM Fri 08-Jan-16 12:35:13

Yes babysitter working long hours. All good experience if you want to move into nannying later though.

littleducks Fri 08-Jan-16 12:39:49

I did something similar years ago and put it down on my CV as a special needs nanny, helped me get into uni on a healthcare course.

Karoleann Fri 08-Jan-16 13:47:56

I don't think you're a babysitter as you take the children out of the house.
I would say you're an (underpaid) unqualified special needs nanny.

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:49:37

Do you think the pay is fair for what I do as sometimes I feel as though for what I do its not enough especially for two children?

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 13:52:16

^^I have come away with bruises before now and a badly bruised eye

ginmakesitallok Fri 08-Jan-16 13:54:58

If you were qualified then I'd say you were underpaid. You're not though.

Bonkerz Fri 08-Jan-16 14:42:57

As an OFSTED registered childminder with a degree and an outstanding grade I only charge £3 per hour so YES I think as an unqualified person with no over heads and it being cash in hand I think your pay is very fair!!!!

littleducks Fri 08-Jan-16 15:17:52

I dont think you can compare a CM (self employed) charges per child (so in theory multiple £3/hr up to ratio limits) is comparable with someone working for one family in their home.

I pay my babysitter more but she is over 18 and is for occasional childcare. Her main job is at my son's nursery.

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:18:48

Bonkerz - I don't understand why you are so angry I'm only asking a question

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Fri 08-Jan-16 16:20:22

Your a babysitter

sleepwhenidie Fri 08-Jan-16 16:31:53

I think you sound underpaid but it depends where you are in the country, in London £8-£10 ph is the going rate...Bonkerz you sound seriously underpaid!

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:37:55

I live in the South West of England

RM00054 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:38:46

According to Ofsted babysitting is done between 6pm and 2am.
Therefore you're a nanny. You don't need qualifications or insurance to be a nanny. However, if you want a career as a nanny it would be beneficial to get both of these and a first aid qualification.

I don't think you're underpaid; because of your age and lack of qualifications / previous experience. You're page a lot higher than minimum wage (£3.80ish?).
If you get a first aid qualification when you turn 18 you could ask for a raise?
Do you have any GCSEs relevant to childcare?

ELLNEW1698 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:42:58

I have an A* in health and social care and I am also very experienced working with SEN children despite my age I have set up a support group for siblings of children with autism and Asperger's, I have won a Autism champion award for my support of my brother and fundraising and my brother has Autism and Asperger's who I helped from a very young age. I am going to uni this year to become a Primary school teacher.

sleepwhenidie Fri 08-Jan-16 16:52:55

Maybe ask around locally to get a feel for babysitting rates. I think what you do sounds over and above whatever that would be (because of the SN and also the duties involved - most babysitting, imo, does not include taking children out or preparing meals and presumably clearing up after), so you could justifiably ask for more, but of course you need to know what you will do if you get turned down.

ProjectPerfect Fri 08-Jan-16 17:00:05

I'm not clear on your hours.

You say you work a few hours between 4-11 are you expected to be available at any time during those hours or are the hours decided on by mutual agreement?

And ignore bonkerz she sounds...erm... Bonkers

wizzywig Fri 08-Jan-16 17:04:08

You do more than my nanny and i have two kids with asd. I pay her £8 an hour gross. She has no childcare qualifications.

wizzywig Fri 08-Jan-16 17:06:35

You do more than my nanny. I pay her £8 p/h gross in home counties. I have 2 kids with asd.

ElinorRochdale Fri 08-Jan-16 17:07:44

Is everyone missing OP's post at 13.52, where she says she sometimes comes away with bruises? Isn't anyone concerned about a seventeen year old in sole charge of boys of eight and ten with special needs? OP, is there an adult on the premises when you are there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now