This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ad Hoc Childcare

(13 Posts)
sarahlou22 Thu 07-Jan-16 11:36:21

Hi. I hope you don't all mind but I just wanted to sound out some parents on a big career change in my life - and where better to go than Mumsnet.

I am a fit, fun fifty something who will soon be moving to the Gloucester area. I have worked in childcare all of my life after training at Norland College. My thoughts for the future are turning to offering a home childcare/nanny service to parents who may need assistance on a temporary or emergency basis ie. that meeting you weren't expecting, nanny/granny not well etc, and babysitting services. I am taking this approach as I would prefer to work part time to leave room to pursue other aspects of my life.

So, before I make a big leap I am just interested to know if this is a service which might appeal to parents and what you might expct to pay for ad hoc arrangements with a professionally trained child carer.
Happy New Year to you and your little ones.

Sarahlou

nailsathome Thu 07-Jan-16 11:43:19

I think it's a great idea. Would definitely appeal to me as I am considering moving into supply teaching so wouldn't really know which days I would be working each week.

As for cost, call some of the local nurseries and child minders and see what they charge. I wouldn't really want to be paying more than that although for an ad hoc service I may be prepared to pay a small charge

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Jan-16 13:56:28

This is what I do as well as maternity nurse /night nanny

Work tho various Agencies as well as word of mouth

Sure you will get work smile

WeetabixExpress Thu 07-Jan-16 21:07:56

This is what I do as well. Huge demand once established, I could easily fill up to work full time. Be very clear on your booking policy to ensure everyone is clear on how it works. I do a monthly first come first served booking email but send it out over a few days in "seniority" to my client list so the established clientsget to book first. Its easy to mess up otherwise when everyone wants the same days.

monkey2014 Fri 22-Jan-16 09:55:44

I NEED this! Changing shift pattern means I need help on random days for 3 hours.

But I am no where near Gloucester! Those of you doing this already, how do you advertise/what should I search for?

justmemeandi Fri 22-Jan-16 11:55:44

nailsathome she shouldn't check out nursery/child minder prices. Nannies/ home childcare should be getting at least NMW. Childminders and nurseries get many children which is why they charge less!

CountryLovingGirl Sat 23-Jan-16 15:23:00

NHS worker here and it would suit me down to the ground. I have always worked, roughly, 9-5 but now have to work from 8am most days and up to 8pm so many nights a month (as well as 3 nightshifts 8pm-8am a month). Hubby also works shifts in his job and all, but one, grandparents are dead. The one that is left is frail and in hospital as I type!

We manage most of the time but about 3-5 times a month we need evening care up to 9pm (to allow me time to travel home) or midnight (if hubby finishes around then and I am on a nightshift). SIL does it sometimes or we try to swap shifts but it gets very difficult.

It's a nightmare. A lot of NHS ladies have had to leave their careers due to the change in hours in a lot of professions. If you were to advertise on a noticeboard at the local hospital you would get loads of interest!

OscarAndOwl Mon 08-Feb-16 18:47:41

I run a similar service in London at Oscar & Owl Babysitters and it's great. Parents love to take time off to have a haircut, or go to the gym, or just sometimes to have a sleep. The parents who are working love having the flexibility. We've found ourselves taking off these last couple of months. Definitely recommend it.

MillyLondon Fri 15-Apr-16 13:52:06

Hi sarahlou22, wondering if you made the leap? I'm due to be in Gloucester tomorrow staying in hotel and babysitter for the eve has just fallen through - argh! Just one little girl 2y who should be asleep the whole time. We are desperately seeking childcare in the hotel itself. Please get back to me if interested.. 7pm till around midnight tomorrow sat 16 April. Thanks, emily

WickedGirl Sat 16-Apr-16 10:11:14

How much do you charge for your ad hoc services?

Lone4anger Wed 27-Apr-16 00:21:07

That was why I used AthleteMannies, but running into problems - on budget so I set the hours with the company but now they are charging me for extra and loads of buses - bus travel doubled from before holidays to now, hours also suddenly extended. No discussion. Would love to find ad hoc reliable childcare but how? Anyone here south west London and also looking?

cavedescreux Wed 27-Apr-16 12:22:21

I don't know about Gloucester but as Lone says, in southwest London you would have no problem filling your book!

user1465906209 Tue 14-Jun-16 13:15:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now