This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Rates - nanny with own child

(15 Posts)
oxfordcan Mon 28-Dec-15 09:53:45

Hello,

We're looking for a nanny for our 8 month old child - were planning on nursery but he's got some immunity issues so we were advised to try and keep him away from large groups. This'll be a stretch financially, so I'm trying to figure out fair but competitive rates for nannies in this area. In particular, we're looking at people who may bring their own child, or nanny shares.

This would be a 4-5 day/week job in South-East England.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!

Cindy34 Mon 28-Dec-15 13:17:41

City, rural? Near London or far away? Location can make quite a difference?

You may be best to look at what you can afford to pay, then advertise a bit below that and see if you get any interest. £7-12 net per hour could be a range but it really does vary. See if there are other jobs in the area which are similar.

When talking salary, make sure you and applicants are talking the same thing. Nannies will often talk in Net (take home) terms, whereas you will probably be looking at Gross, as you can calculate your costs from that.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Dec-15 15:03:52

Look at other jobs to see what they are paying and a nwoc is usually 10/20% less

South east England covers a huge area and depends on age exp of nanny as well but anything 9/13 gross

oxfordcan Mon 28-Dec-15 17:51:02

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. We're in Oxford, suburban, good transit links and no requirement for own car.

Thanks again very much.

peppielillyan Mon 28-Dec-15 20:41:38

i charged £40 per day, right until the end of last month when my Full Time nanny job was over.

Artandco Mon 28-Dec-15 20:46:10

£40 a day? That very very low

I would say for that area the average is £10-net per hour without child. So around £8.50-9 net with child

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 28-Dec-15 21:13:33

40 a day isnt nmw - more like cm rates

ceeveebee Mon 28-Dec-15 21:15:26

We paid £10 per hour in London for a nanny with an older (school age) child

PhoebeMcPeePee Tue 29-Dec-15 11:38:08

With all due respect Peppie, you've just said on another thread that you only charge £9ph for babysitting on New Years Eve in Marylebone so I think it's fair to say your rates are not indicative of most nannies or even childminders. Your figures are a good 50% behind the going rate for some reason.

You're not a parent in W1 hoping to drive down the cost of childcare by any chance? grinhmmwink

CharmingChampignon Tue 29-Dec-15 11:42:15

£40/day?! I was paying £50/day to a uni student to babysit my dc in the summer holiday and that felt a little exploitative - and I'm nowhere near London!! shockshock

Duckstar Tue 29-Dec-15 11:42:41

I'm in the Thames Valley pay £25,000 gross per annum for full time nanny. That was for nursery nurse with no nannying experienced. Experienced nannies were looking in region of 30 k full time. Also pay enployers ni on top of that.

Duckstar Tue 29-Dec-15 11:44:09

Also had to factor in paying for activities (playgroups etc). Nanny also entitled to eat all meals with is so a bit more on shopping bill each week (£10 or so).

peppielillyan Tue 29-Dec-15 14:05:08

Well at the end I am a single parent without having parents to rely on, and very inflexible ex. We live in Camden (not W1) however, since I had my son, I have been working for 3 families in Hackney, Walthamstow and Clapham Junction full time Mon-Fri (8am - 6pm/7pm) for £40 per day. Some of the families were happy to help myself with their cookies and chocolates for lunch , some werent. I have been paying for activities / playgroups /soft centres etc on the day, and asked for a refund at the end of the week.
At the end, what really matters to me was that those families were not jealous of another person in the house in their child and did not see that as a problem. What I really want is to have all sides happy, and make myself as a financial burden for anybody.
On the other hand, I have other 2 clients who are demanding childcare and tutoring for their kids on Sat and Sun. We have known each other since 2009 and that comes as extremely helpful work arrangement.
Due to the festive season, I thought of £9ph being a good price. I am really confused what to think because when i go to interviews, some people shut me up with But the government is paying £4-£5 per hour that has to be far enough!

peppielillyan Tue 29-Dec-15 14:06:45

*and not to make myself as a financial burden for anybody.

ChablisTyrant Tue 29-Dec-15 14:16:46

We pay £11 net in similar part of country but they don't have a child. The whole discount for own child thing is a minefield. Some people say 'they are still doing the same job so shouldn't earn less'; others say it is akin to a nanny share so should be half price. I'd want to bargain for £8 net. That's still a cost of more than £11 an hour to you once you factor in tax, NI, clubs, food, heating etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now