This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

need advice from nannies and nanny employers please

(15 Posts)
IAmAPaleontologist Wed 16-Dec-15 20:43:16

Ds2 has ring worm. He has one, single circle on his leg. Took him to pharmacist, have cream.

Nhs says no need to exclude from childcare.

Nursery happily took him today.

Yesterday was a nanny day. She brought him home at 1pm, pointed out the ringworm and legged it home because she didn't want to catch it. I was fuming, she raised her eyebrows and made noises about not wanting her kids to get it. She then refused to pick the big ones up from school saying that she assumed I would do it because I had the toddler she had dumped on me and then I could check them for it. She is now refusing to come in tomorrow because of it.

I have no idea how to handle it. I'm not good at being an employer! Things have always been fairly relaxed with flexibility of both sides. My work hours vary a lot so she often doesn't know what she is working until last min and things like that so we've always been happy to be flexible in return but more recently she is taking the piss

For context, on the days she doesn't work for us she works for sister nursery to the one ds1 goes to. I'm assuming she wouldn't be refusing to go there if a child had ringworm.

Littlef00t Wed 16-Dec-15 21:15:36

You go by the nhs website for whether something is regarded as appropriate to exclude. If not, you dock their pay. You should have a contract though that states this though, and also cover to allow you to start disciplinary if they are refusing to work for a poor reason.

RattieOfCatan Wed 16-Dec-15 21:29:04

Part of being a nanny is working when the children are sick, that's a large part of why people have nannies instead of other forms of childcare. Ringworm is preferable to a sickness bug, I've had both over the past three WEEKS -_- only the bug from my charges though, it's a hazard of the role surely?!

MoaningAtTheGates Wed 16-Dec-15 21:33:18

If the NHS say not to exclude you point this out and say you expect her back on her next working day.

How hardball you play it my depend on how easily you can find someone for those hours though.

I would be issuing an informal but recorded warning for refusing to pick up the big ones too.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 16-Dec-15 21:53:17

Thanks. I think part of our trouble with going hardball is small village, she has kids at the same (small) school as ours and not exactly a whole lot of alternatives if we lose her.

peppielillyan Wed 16-Dec-15 21:55:52

Wow, that made me laugh!
Sorry, did not mean that it was funny, but her attitude.... oh my God...
However, what i wanted to say was that being a nanny is job to be done with your heart and soul. After 10 yrs spent around children with all sorts of swine flu, croup, various infections, and chickenpox, not only i am alive but have happily developed my own immunity.
If you love the child, you would always be there for them no matter what sickness they have.

Cindy34 Thu 17-Dec-15 06:34:20

Good hygiene standard is all that is needed. Infection risk is low. It is part and parcel of working with children, in the same way getting a cold is, getting nits and other bugs that children have.

You could call your nanny payroll provider for advice, they can also arrange for change to the pay if your nanny decides that they are wanting to take unpaid leave and you agree to that. It really is madness though for a nanny to not work under those circumstances. What next, won't work as a child has a runny nose?

writingonthewall Thu 17-Dec-15 06:40:43

Ringworm can take a couple if weeks to go, how long is she planning to stay off! Talk to your payroll company but I really think this nanny isn't worth having. Unpaid leave, verbal warning and written warning if not back asap.

Karoleann Thu 17-Dec-15 10:04:13

That's ridiculous! especially refusing to pick the old children up. The problem you'll have if you don't lay down the law is that she'll take the mickey again when there is another minor sickness issue.

Def unpaid and an email with a link to the NHS website, which says how to prevent the infection spreading.

Booboostwo Thu 17-Dec-15 11:55:48

Ringworm is quite common among horses. I've never heard of a groom refusing to work because the horses have ringworm. She is BU and you have to call her up on it.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 17-Dec-15 16:17:35

Well she didn't work today, luckily dh was able to work from home rather than go to the office and a friend was off today and took care of ds2 and picked the big ones up, ds2 was perfectly happy as he got to spend the day with his best friend.

There will be a discussion about expectations to follow.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Dec-15 23:37:57

unless your contract states that she doesnt look after ill/infected children she needs to look after them

verbal warning

thats WHY famillies have a nanny as IF their child is ill the nanny WILL look after them

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Thu 17-Dec-15 23:48:08

Totally bonkers! I would be very unimpressed if I were you op, It's only ringworm for goodness sake!
I had a nanny friend who suddenly got like this when she was pregnant, she's usually fairly rational. Any chance your nanny is pregnant? (Not that i think ringworm is a problem to pregnant women)

TeaandHobnobs Tue 29-Dec-15 18:27:28

Does she realise ringworm is a fungal skin infection, and not worms?! Her reaction is ridiculous. I hope you get the situation sorted out to your satisfaction, OP.

writingonthewall Wed 30-Dec-15 07:05:40

What happened OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now