This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

childminder left 9 month old in car

(99 Posts)
snowywol Sat 12-Dec-15 21:42:17

Hi my sister has just started leaving her 9 month old with a child minder and when I went to collect my nephew the other day he was sleeping in the child minders car. The child minder said he had only been in there because he had been crying a lot and she needed to change other children she had and didn't want to wake him as knew he would be crying. She said it wasn't long but she was in the kitchen when I arrived so not changing the other children. The doors were open but still my sister and I were very shocked. I also have a young child and would never do this or expect my child minder to. My sister is just working out what to do and wondered if anyone else had had a problem like this?
Thanks

dementedpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 21:46:05

Where was the car? Was it close to the house? I used to leave mine asleep in the car as I could see them from the window so knew when they woke up

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sat 12-Dec-15 21:47:23

Where was the car?

YakTriangle Sat 12-Dec-15 21:50:37

If just outside the window and in full view at all times, not that awful.
Parked down the road, very bad.

TribbleNamedDave Sat 12-Dec-15 21:51:20

Depends on where the car was, and she could have just finished changing the other children before you arrived.

Personally, although I wouldn't be especially pleased, I probably wouldn't have that big of an issue with it as under the circumstances I would have probably done similar.

If I was your sister, and I was happy with the childminder, I would just ask that in future she bring him in and leave it at that.

Sparklycat Sat 12-Dec-15 21:54:05

I'd be furious! Even if it was a car in the driveway.

BertieBotts Sat 12-Dec-15 21:55:19

In England, in December, car on driveway with doors open, child sleeping. Sorry I don't see the issue.

dementedpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 21:55:47

Why would you be furious?

snowywol Sat 12-Dec-15 21:57:18

The car was in the driveway and could be seen if she was looking but I walked up to the house and passed car without being see. She is an outstanding rated child minder but it did just shock us both slightly

PacificDogwod Sat 12-Dec-15 21:58:42

I am sure I'm missing something.

All 4 of mine were left to sleep in the car on our drive way, visible from the kitchen window with the backdoor open if we arrived home and they were asleep.
Are there other issues with the CM? Is your sister unhappy with her childcare arrangements otherwise?

RabbitSaysWoof Sat 12-Dec-15 21:58:53

I wouldn't have a problem. I would do it with the doors open as you say.

dementedpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 21:59:38

Could he be heard if crying? I can't get worked up about it tbh

HortonWho Sat 12-Dec-15 22:00:51

You cannot leave children unattended in a car as a childminder. Report her to ofsted.

Seeyounearertime Sat 12-Dec-15 22:01:32

Wouldn't bother me if its been only a few minutes whilst getting in and sorting other kids out.

Shameful admission of mine is that once when our DD was about 10 months or so we'd been shopping and got home, took all the shopping in, locked the car, made a cuppa, sat down and the realised we'd left our bab in the car, that'd been about 10 minutes. blush she was fine though, fast asleep.

defineme Sat 12-Dec-15 22:02:01

I did this with my own kids, but I did lots of things that i wouldn't expect achildminder or nursery to do...i think ofsted would take a dim view of a baby being left unattended on the street.

Susandeath Sat 12-Dec-15 22:02:21

If the baby is 9 months old, he should have been got out of the and laid flat. There are increasing occurrences of children up to the age of one year suffocating because they are not capable of supporting their heads whilst asleep. If the childminder was in the car, then she would be able to monitor the baby's breathing, but she wasn't. I wouldn't have been happy. I'm a childminder, and I wouldn't have done it.

snowywol Sat 12-Dec-15 22:03:25

Thanks for comments I think neither my sister or I would have left him in the car but sounds like it's more common than we realise and not something to be too worried about.

TribbleNamedDave Sat 12-Dec-15 22:04:09

In that case I can't see the issue, I understand that you feel disconcerted, but she wouldn't have just left him. She had the door open and was probably popping back and fourth between him and the other children.

Plus with the other mindees needing changing, she had the option of a cranky baby and trying to change nappies at the same time or a few minutes whilst she dealt with the others and kept an ear and eye out for your nephew.

If you feel super strongly about it, have a word. But as others have said, I don't think it's worth making a huge deal over.

Lweji Sat 12-Dec-15 22:05:07

Actually, I'd change childminders and report her.

Tamponlady Sat 12-Dec-15 22:12:04

I do this all the time if my baby is sleeping

HortonWho Sat 12-Dec-15 22:14:40

I can't believe these comments! You are NOT ALLOWED TO LEAVE A CHILD UNATTENDED! Childminder or nursery. FFS I cannot believe others minimising this!

dementedpixie Sat 12-Dec-15 22:16:27

Maybe because he was strapped in and the doors were open so he could be heard if crying

Janeymoo50 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:17:41

Do you and your sister have just one child (no offence honestly). Sometimes, just sometimes, practicalities come first when dealing with a handful of small children. Like leaving one sound asleep in a car seat as you take others inside for instance. If you rationally think about it, what were the chances of something happening to your DN? Probably the same as some awful accident happening as she pushed in his buggy down the road.

lorelei9 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:18:32

I might have misunderstood the OP

the childminder put the child in the car because he was asleep, after crying all day - and might be disturbed by other activity in the house?

Seeyounearertime Sat 12-Dec-15 22:19:39

HortonWho

Are you claiming the legal status? Or moral status?
Generally speaking there is nothing illegal in what the minder has done.
It only becomes an issue through other circumstances.
Willful endangerment is the actual crime, leaving a child in a car in a car park in a locked car on a hot day. That's wilful endangerment.

Morally speaking doesn't count because morals are a personally defined thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now