This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Handover from one au pair to another - bedrooms?

(10 Posts)
MrsFogi Sun 06-Dec-15 21:15:15

I'm getting ready for a handover from our current au pair to our next one early next year. There will be a week when they are both working together to hand over. Can anyone tell me how I should work the bedrooms? Our au pair has a bedroom (of course) and the new au pair will get this room. But where I'm lost is should the new one go in the spare room for the handover week or the old one in the spare room and then move when the old one goes (iyswim)? I can see arguments for both arrangements but would be interested to see what people usually do.

OTheHugeManatee Sun 06-Dec-15 21:19:25

I would put the new one in the spare room until the old one leaves. If I were the outgoing au pair I'd feel really weird seeing someone else sleeping in 'my' room while I was still hanging about.

ArthurMcAffertyhastwocats Sun 06-Dec-15 21:43:07

I'd let the old one stay put, new one in spare room. Although having said that, at my last switchover the old one packed everything but a suitcase, shipped it all home, did a deep clean and moved rooms the weekend before the handover, by which point it seemed a bit late to insist she stayed put!

Carroty Sun 06-Dec-15 22:47:34

As an au pair who had done the handover, i.e. being the 'old' au pair leaving, I packed my stuff and cleaned the bedroom a week before the new au pair came and moved into the guest bedroom. Wasn't asked to this that early but thought it would be nice if the bedroom's empty and the bathroom unused for a bit before the au pair arrived. Anyhow, I think the new au pair should go straight into 'the au pair bedroom' as it's important that she feels comfortable and settled from the beginning and fully focus on her duties, learning everything etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 07-Dec-15 14:46:09

Agree new ap to have bedroom she will be living in

Seems silly to unpack all stuff and then move rooms a week later

Where as the old ap will have to pack anyway

Anon2309 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:32:29

I'd want to stay in my old room, would make me feel insignificant to be told to move to the spare room to make room for the new au pair.. I mean this is the place I've been living in for the past year and it's been my space, and now at the end of a year to just be 'shoved' into the spare room. New ap should get spare room, and then just go into the the AP room when the old one leaves.

hibbleddible Mon 07-Dec-15 22:06:29

In this situation, we left the old one in her room. It would have felt very harsh to move her before she left.

I warned the new au pair about this before she arrived, and it was only a matter of days.

stepmad Tue 08-Dec-15 06:20:33

Let the old one stay put always easier not to have to unpack twice where as easier to live from a suitecase for a few days .

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 08-Dec-15 06:31:14

Undoubtedly let the current one stay where she is.

They are part of the family, and assuming you have a great relationship with your au pair, it's hard enough as it is saying goodbye, without them feeling even more as if they're being 'replaced'.

We're onto our 5th au pair, and I would never have asked, or expected, the encumbent to make way for the new one. It's still their space. You just let the knew one know what to expect.

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 08-Dec-15 06:31:48

*new

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now