This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

advice on new nanny

(11 Posts)
Girlsville Tue 01-Dec-15 20:25:29

Our new nanny started last week. She is a lovely kind person and is amazing with my Dc. However, since she started she has lost out bugaboo (was possibly stolen because she left car unlocked) and has broken the tray on our highchair. Tonight when I came in from work her keys were hanging in our front door.
She is not particularly apologetic about these things.
Advice please on how to deal with this. As I say she is amazing with kids so will not do anything drastic but I need her to understand she needs to start taking better care of our property and things!

writingonthewall Tue 01-Dec-15 21:22:28

Hmmm. Not actually that amazing as she has put the security of your house (and therefore your children at risk). How long is her probation period? Gentle chat that you can't afford for this to go on and if the probation period has less than a few weeks to go, I would extend it.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 01-Dec-15 22:05:27

agree not that amazing as risked house/car and lost buggy - lucky car wasnt stolen ......

Girlsville Tue 01-Dec-15 22:10:34

I know. Am so upset as she has a lovely manner and has been dealing with the three dc v nicely. Am trying to think that it is a hectic new role for her and so clearly she is still trying to get on top of it - these things are happening when she has all three dc after school. Clearly though it can't go on like this, I know I need to speak to her to emphasise she needs to be taking more care with everything.

nannynick Tue 01-Dec-15 22:41:19

It can't go on. Yes it is busy but there is always time to check you have locked the car, got your keys. Focus on the security issues - be it her car or your car. Maybe they are used to being in an area where people often leave things unlocked, keys in door... it can be the case in some small villages in Wales (My sister lives in a village like that) but it does not matter as you are the boss and you want things done a certain way. You do not want her leaving keys in the door, you do not want her leaving the car unlocked if left unattended.

Damage to equipment happens. Unless you know the circumstances of how it happened it would be hard to say that the same outcome would not have been the case if you were there. Though do mention it at the probation review as you want to avoid damage to equipment.

wizzywig Tue 01-Dec-15 23:03:46

Would the employee liability insurance cover it? Or nanny insurance? Can you deduct the bugaboo cost from her wages?

Karoleann Wed 02-Dec-15 13:15:55

I'd be more worried about the fact she's not really apologetic, your car could have been stolen and its likely that your insurance wouldn't have covered the loss if the car was unlocked - similarly the house.

Over the years, we've had nannies who have occasionally broken things or once someone left the keys in our door. But, its been very very occasional and they've always been v apologetic and offered to pay for damage or loss.

I'd ask to do a review with her at the end of the week and ask how things are going....it can be a two sided process, start by asking her how things are going and if there's anything she's finding difficult, or wants to change etc. You can bring up how much you like her way of dealing with the children....then you can bring up the incidences. If you do get any more after that, I would extend her probation - you can't keep buying a new buggy/highchair every week.

Bunnyhipsdontliegrl Wed 02-Dec-15 13:27:52

It could be that it's a busy new role, but I would be mortified and triple checking everything. She is not particularly even apologetic? That is the worrying part for me!

Sparklycat Wed 02-Dec-15 13:50:49

Bugaboos are expensive, I would def be billing her for the replacement!

Girlsville Wed 02-Dec-15 14:17:45

Thanks for all the input. I will definitely be having a proper chat with her along the lines you have suggested.
The bugaboo is a few years old and we have another buggy so probably won't look to replace it now. Am trying to be reasonable employer but am feeling q stressed.

peppielillyan Wed 16-Dec-15 22:02:59

Talk to the girl, she might be over stressed too.

On the other hand, i am now thinking that my contract had a clause saying that i am to replace broken / lost stuff when happened within my hours....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now