This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

When to look for a childminder?

(7 Posts)
blueandgreendots Tue 24-Nov-15 11:57:52

I'm expecting my second child, due in April 2016 and am planning to take six months maternity leave which means I will be looking for full time childcare from about November 2016. When I was pregnant with my daughter I was told due to the popularity of our chosen nursery to get my name down on the list whilst still pregnant (and I'm glad I did that as I really needed to). This time around I think I will be looking for a childminder in my local area for the baby, as DD will be at the school nursery which only takes children from 2 years old. There are not many other suitable nurseries close enough.

So my question is when is the right time to try and find a childminder? Do I try to find one whilst still pregnant, or is that too far in advance for them to know availability of placements?

hookiewookiedoodah Tue 24-Nov-15 14:07:14

Do it now!!I'm a CM and have just signed up two children for next September.
Visit a few, and go with your gut instinct. Do remember though, that, when you settle on one that you like you may have to pay a deposit or a retainer or the space ( if you find a minder that has a space available now, or will have one before you need it, a retainer may be charged to hold that space until you need it).Not everyone does this-they're all different. However, a nursery would probably charge a deposit too.

myotherusernameisbetter Tue 24-Nov-15 14:11:33

I'd imagine that day time spaces come up in August/September when children start school (depending on where you live) so childminders may be able to predict openings for next year (although obviously people may move or change jobs etc) I'd start putting out the feelers now, some areas can be busy. Could you start your older child with them at least part time to show commitment?

HSMMaCM Tue 24-Nov-15 17:51:53

I am taking bookings for next September now as well.

NickNacks Tue 24-Nov-15 21:17:53

Yes I'd start looking now. I know who is moving on to school and will start filling spaces very soon for September.

blueandgreendots Tue 24-Nov-15 22:39:52

Thank you for your responses, I'm going to get onto the council and get a list of childminders in my vicinity to start making enquiries.

jannier Wed 25-Nov-15 20:46:24

Be aware that if the FIS operates like mine it only gives you child-minders with current vacancies so you may need to specify.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now