This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is this redundancy?

(9 Posts)
ScratchedDVD Mon 07-Sep-15 13:44:55

Hello looking for some advice/knowledge.

We have a fantastic nanny to look after our two DDs. One has just started reception and the other is nearly 3. We are thinking about sending DD2 to nursery one day a week mainly to save some money (she will get her 'free' hours in December and this could save us about £400 a month) but also to help get her ready for preschool and school.

We would be thinking about cutting the nanny's hours by one day a week which will obviously have a big impact on her but we wouldn't need childcare on this one day a week - DD2 will be able to go to nursery all through the year and for DD1 we will probably use a combination of family, annual leave and school camps for childcare to make up this day.

We would love it if she wanted to stay with us on the reduced hours, but of course I'm realistic and know that this could mean she resigns completely if a new job came up.

If we are only cutting down 1 day a week, is this 'redundancy' or are we just changing the contract to which she can either agree or disagree? Do we need to consult with her? She's been with us less than 2 years but if this did end up in full redundancy where she didn't work for us at all, we would make her a redundancy payment as a gesture of thanks as she really has been great.

Any help would be great!!! Thanks.

softhedgehog Mon 07-Sep-15 14:54:45

My understanding is that if it is less than two years then you can either reduce the hours, if she is amenable, or just give her notice on the job and recruit someone to do the lesser hours. No redundancy needed. But clearly IANAL etc etc - your payroll company should be able to advise in more detail.

ScratchedDVD Mon 07-Sep-15 20:38:20

Thanks softhedgehog, that's helpful. I'll get in touch with the payroll company and see what they say.

I am dreading the conversation. Has anyone had to do this before? Not sure how to approach it. I'd hate for there to be an atmosphere but looking at it from her point of view, I'd be upset by the change and I doubt she would be able to take the reduction in pay. I am way too soft to be an employer!!!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 07-Sep-15 21:15:44

A professional nanny will understand why you are cutting down a day

You may find that she is happy to cut a day - assume she is 5 days at mo

Often easier to find a one day job if can be flexible what day she has off? Often a Friday is easier to find a one day rather then a day in the middle of the week

ScratchedDVD Mon 07-Sep-15 21:23:31

Thanks blondes, she is very professional but I don't think there are a lot of jobs going for nannies in my area so I'm sure she will be concerned about having to piece together a living from lots of different jobs (as I would be in her position). We would be cutting her hours to 36 hours a week over 3 days (different hours on different days due to complex hours that DH and I do) and likely to be cutting a Thursday.

After some unexpected expenses over the last few months, we are really feeling a bit stretched and our financial safety net is dwindling which is making us anxious so the extra money would help. But of course I feel for her as she has been just great

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 07-Sep-15 21:27:33

So this is now a 3day job. Maybe she can look for another 2 day?

ScratchedDVD Mon 07-Sep-15 21:47:45

Yes, 3 days. I hope she will stay with us and can find something to fill the gap as we would be very sorry to lose her.

jclm Tue 08-Sep-15 22:41:57

You may find that she is happy to cut down her hours, as many nannies are exhausted with ft hours. If possible, be as flexible with the hours as you can. Eg she may be happy to work in the morning, go to the gym, and then do school pick up etc.

Badgirlforlife1 Sat 02-Jan-16 09:36:31

Well you technically reducing her hours so yes it is redundancy.
However talk to your nanny for one day she may have an idea which could help.
Keep in mind when you children are sick or something happen at school or strike your Nanny's not on stand bye why your not paying her.
School holidays mmm you can work that out by maybe working your nanny salary pro rata.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now