This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

? salary for nanny in zone 6 london

(8 Posts)
MamaMordor Sat 04-Jul-15 21:44:16

Evening all,

Am arranging a nanny for:

28 hours per week over 2 days
On one of the nanny days my baby will also attend nursery (for maybe 7-8ish hours).

What should gross annual salary range be in (zone 6 london)?

Thank you for any help!!

Pinkpeter Sat 04-Jul-15 21:54:56

28 hours a week over two days? Bloody hell, that's a long working day!

MamaMordor Sat 04-Jul-15 22:02:41

I know but will probably get home around 6.30 most nights or earlier and will just let nanny go home…but want to contract and pay her till worst case scenario (8pm) so no stress for me re rushing home/being late.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 05-Jul-15 14:29:00

So you need someone 6am - 8pm twice a week

Can you be flexible on the days for the right person

I'm not in London but I would consider a job like that if paid enough to cover hours - as in I need to work 3 days /30hrs a week minimum

Can you use nursery another day. Seems Insane to pay a nanny and nursery

As always salary comes to - age area experience as well as need / as in your job and hours are unusual and may turn many people off so a salary to reflect that may be in order

softhedgehog Sun 05-Jul-15 14:39:31

The 6am start is going to drastically cut down your options. £10 per hour net is standard here, zone 3, but you may need to offer more for the first hour or two or a higher hourly rate given the early start and long days.

MamaMordor Sun 05-Jul-15 15:29:08

Yes good point. Thank you! Was wondering whether I'd even find anyone willing to do long days!

nannynick Sun 05-Jul-15 17:35:53

It might suit someone very local to you.
You could try comparing to other jobs being listed in the area. NannyJob - LiveOut, PartTime, London
You can modify that search to show South East (excluding London) if that covers your area better.
I would say £12-£14 gross an hour. If their only job then that is around £10.20-11.60 Net per hour.

You need to calculate what salary you can afford to pay, remembering to take into account all your other costs as well such as: payroll admin, employers NI, activity budget, mileage/travel allowance, food/drink whilst nanny is on duty (which for your long hours could be Breakfast, Lunch and Evening Meal - ideally nanny eats with the children).

No point offering a nanny say £14 an hour if you can not afford to pay that. So you need to establish first what it is you can afford to pay, then see what the local market is like and advertise the job with a salary and see who applies. If no applications, then revise the salary and try again.

MamaMordor Sun 05-Jul-15 19:49:56

Wow thanks Nannynick that's really helpful! And also thanks to you to blondeshavemore fun! Apologies I missed seeing your message above. First time mumsnetter (and first time mum!).

Yes 6-8 twice a week but my work haven't confirmed which day I can have off so don't know exactly what 2 days I'll need nanny for yet. Other two days will be nursery with husband doing drop/pick up.

It is a bit crazy to have nanny plus nursery but the nursery we like have a minimum number of days that child must attend.

Though today I have started feeling a bit nervous about the whole nanny idea (first time mum standard concerns!).
Will see how it goes.

Thanks again all for the advice. Lots of thinking to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now