This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pregnant nanny issues

(11 Posts)
Feelingverysleepy Fri 26-Jun-15 14:57:21

I was just considering moving to a childminder for Sept as my eldest starts school. I haven't found one yet or spoken to nanny about these plans - but today she has told me she is pregnant.
I feel terrible giving her notice when pregnant as she'll have trouble getting another job.
What to do??? Can I give her notice while pregnant - solely on basis of my altering needs (ie eldest do starting school nursery).

nannynick Fri 26-Jun-15 16:05:23

Yes you can give redundancy as the job is no longer going to exist.

Maternity Alliance website is useful for info about maternity rights. Aimed at employees but will still be useful for you as the employer.

nikinaki Fri 26-Jun-15 20:21:44

Yes as nanny nick stated, you can make her redundant. Why don't you talk to her and see what her plans are? Be honest and say you were going to switch to childminder. obviously I've no idea how far along she is, but could you offer to keep her on until December? She could then go on maternity leave and then she will find a new job with her new baby.

Littlef00t Fri 26-Jun-15 20:23:38

A child starting school is a major flag for change, it won't come out of the blue to her.

Maryann1975 Sat 27-Jun-15 23:09:42

I was a nanny, I told the family I was pregnant one day and the Next day they told me I was to be made redundant as they were swapping to a childminder. It came completly out of the blue to me as it wasn't a major change time (ie starting nursery or school).
They were legally allowed to do it as the nanny job was not there anymore. I seem to remember (it was a few years ago) if they had gone back to a nanny within so many months, they would have had to offer it to me first, but they didn't.
I was still able to claim maternity allowance while I was off work having the baby as I had been employed for enough weeks of my pregnancy.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 28-Jun-15 20:07:11

i think you can legally make her redundant if you are using another form of childcare, and plus a good reason,ie school

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 29-Jun-15 12:17:04

If her role is redundant then her role is redundant and legally you are within your rights.

I assume it's a financial decision to change your arrangements but here are my thoughts.

She might potentially look for a new role right away and hope to leave before her pregnancy "showed". Not particularly ethical but that's life. Depending on her notice period, that could leave you a bit stuck over the summer.

If there isn't a place available at a childminder what will you do? Starting school and a new childcare situation is a lot of change at the same time.

I think you need to actually conclude your "considerations" and make a decision before broaching the subject. You say it's your eldest which infers that you have more children. You may actually find that the costs of having two or more at a childminder [assuming you need holiday care at full cost] are almost 2/3rds of the cost of a nanny. If she wants to return to work with her child it's not unusual to negotiate a 20% cut in salary so you may find that the finances stack up for you both.

It's very unsettling to be made redundant, pregnant or not so my advice would be to be very clear about what the reasons are and be fully informed when you meet with her.

[I've been made redundant while on mat leave.
I don't work as a nanny
I employ a [currently pregnant] nwoc ]

Ternet Tue 30-Jun-15 22:22:29

Typical and selfish. The priority to parents, is not the consistency of Childcare, but inconvenience and cost fo them. Childcare Providers are the most devalued of Profession, yet care for what should be the most valuable posession.

Zebda Tue 30-Jun-15 22:29:11

a bit harsh Ternet - Op was clear she was already considering the chnge, and well ahead of any notice period requirement Why is the default position on MN that all employers of Nannies are evil? hmm

OP - I thnk you should discuss with your Nanny, and see if there is a way to make this suit her as nikinaki suggests. you are within your rights to make her redundant due to the impending change in childcare needs (school) she would have had to seek a new position anyway, but if you can be flexible, you can make sure she gets her SMP ahead of mat leave.

Limpetsmum Wed 01-Jul-15 08:45:53

Harsh and unnecessary ternet

Supervet Wed 01-Jul-15 08:53:40

I think you should talk to her. I am presuming she is pretty much full time at the moment? I'm doubting she's expecting to be full time in September when your child starts school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now