This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Stick to my guns or negotiate a lower rate

(13 Posts)
HiccupHaddockHorrendous Wed 24-Jun-15 17:45:02

I've had an enquiry for a before/after school child.

I charge a fixed rate for this but the parent is put off by the fee. They only want term time and I generally don't charge a retainer for the holidays but could consider reducing my normal rate and adding a holiday retainer (is the norm in this area). Overall, it would work out less per week than my normal fixed fee.

I'm torn over what to do. The parent is lovely and both she and her ds have come highly recommended. However, I have limited space and have to earn a living.

Any opinions?

FlorenceMattell Wed 24-Jun-15 19:09:50

Unfortunately I have found generally people don't appreciate it when you do them a favour. They just expect it every time.
You will regret losing money.
Unless it's family, you are a business stick to your normal rate.

electionfatigue Wed 24-Jun-15 19:49:29

Do you have a waiting list or struggle to fill places? If the former then no negotiation, if the latter then you need to come to an agreeement.

Maryann1975 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:37:20

I'm a cm and did a cheaper rate for a family a couple of years ago. I started to begrudge it on a business level as by the time I had picked the children up and fed the children I was left with such a small amount left it hardly felt it was worth doing.
They left for family reasons, but recently asked to come back. When I said the price had increased they didnt gt back to me.
It's really hard if business is slow to strike the balance. You need children in to earn money, but if you price yourself low you won't make enough to cover the bills. is it generally easy to fill places in your area?

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 25-Jun-15 06:49:24

Thanks for the replies.

I think my fixed rate is quite high (equates to 2.5hrs of childcare) but previously parents wanted half/one hour after school and it just wasn't viable for me to charge an hourly rate.

I don't have a waiting list but do have a number of part time preschoolers starting in September. In the not so distant past, I've found myself saying yes to everything and then realising that it's not always a workable situation. As a result, I am being more choosy but it does scare me a little that I will end up with no business!

lougle Thu 25-Jun-15 07:12:22

Can you stick to your rate but do something extra such as drop the cold back after?

I'd kill for before and after school care, tbh. My dd1 needs to be picked up from our home address and my other 2 dds need to be picked up from school 2 miles away. No childminder is going to do that sad

Preetgrewal1978 Thu 25-Jun-15 11:22:50

I agree to Florence business is business, our job is not appreciated by many people, however they still want the best for their child. stick to your guns.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 25-Jun-15 15:22:16

Stick to your guns

Never drop your fee. Parents don't appreciate it

MiscellaneousAssortment Sat 27-Jun-15 22:33:36

From a parents perspective I also agree with the others!

People will just think you were charging them extra initially and they've just been savvy pushing the price down to the 'real price'. They won't think you're doing them a favour or that you are struggling to make it add up, and you'll end up feeling pissed off or taken advantage of.

SavoyCabbage Sat 27-Jun-15 22:41:17

Don't do it. The new lower rate will become your rate. If you charge this lady this rate then you won't be able to use the old rate for other people.

PhoebeMcPeePee Sun 28-Jun-15 20:07:56

Unless you are desperate to fill the space then stick to your guns. I also charge a 2.5hr minimum for school children after taking on a child for 1 hour care and regretting it ever since!

Ternet Tue 30-Jun-15 22:36:28

Todays favour is tomorrows expectation. Here's a calculation tip to ensure the same income every month keeping to four weeks written notice for both parties so you can plan. Term time = approx 190 days in school. Add up the hours per week xs your rate. Multiply by twelve months. Add half thd weekly cost the same way. Add both totals together and ÷ by twelve months. The total is the monthly fee every month. You know whats coming in every month. Contract an advanced paymentmof the 1st day of every month. If parents are not willing to retain then your not willing to retain the place.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 04-Jul-15 16:41:27

Thanks for all the replies flowers

I will stick to my original plan smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now