This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How much to pay?

(8 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 14-Jun-15 18:00:44

DP's employer has a daughter in her 20s who will be looking after DS 17months and dd 10 next Sunday while we're both at work
It will be from 8.30 till 4 pm.
What would be a reasonable amount to pay her?
She jumped at the chance to look after them. She's not a qualified nanny, more a 'friend of the family', but neither of us really know what to offer her..
Please give me an idea what you'd pay? TIA

PinkPearlClutcher Sun 14-Jun-15 18:11:41

I think between £8-10 per hour would be fair. It's not the same as babysitting when kids are asleep, it'll be pretty full on with kids of those ages. Have you asked her? I would have thought she'd have her own rates or at least expectation of what she'll be paid

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 14-Jun-15 18:18:27

I know it won't be an 'easy' day for her! We don't want to be insulting but also don't want to set ourselves up to pay through the nose for her to look after them again some time!
DD is pretty self sufficient, it's DS who can be a handful!
Thanks for your input.. £60-£85
Eek, glad we don't have to pay for childcare regularly! (We both work PT in order to look after DCs).

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 14-Jun-15 18:18:58

Apologies for all the exclamation marks blush

Nospringflower Sun 14-Jun-15 18:21:05

I would have thought £60 was reasonably - rounding it up to 8 hours work thats 7.50 an hour and its cash in hand presumably so not like she has any deductions.

PinkPearlClutcher Sun 14-Jun-15 18:22:54

No worries...if you're worried about costs, just ask her, she may not be expecting so much.

Tomuchcake Sun 14-Jun-15 19:16:01

£60 would be fine I think

Karoleann Sun 14-Jun-15 21:13:39

I would go for around £60 too, but make sure there's something in for lunch (I'd ask her what she would like), so that she can eat with the children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now