This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Norland Nanny Salary

(25 Posts)
Chuggsbugs Tue 09-Jun-15 13:14:45

Hello, We have found our Mary Poppins and are now wondering what salary to offer her. What would a daily Norland nanny (London) with approx. 3 years experience expect to earn? She will have sole charge of one baby and one 5 year old (who is in school) and is an exceptional candidate.

The nanny is very keen to proceed and we want to make her a fair and attractive offer? We will include gym membership and an annual discretionary bonus.

If anybody has some tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

BIWI Tue 09-Jun-15 13:23:06

Has she not told you what she expects to earn? With 3 years' experience, and if she's Norland trained, I'm sure she has a very good idea of what you should be paying her!

Heels99 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:26:17

Did You advertise the role with a specific salary?
Did you ask her at interview what her expectations were re salary and what her current/most recent salary is?
I think you need to know what her expectations are really.

Chuggsbugs Tue 09-Jun-15 13:30:28

It is via an agency and we are waiting to hear back on her salary expectations. I would just like to know what others are paying similarly qualified nannies...

Floggingmolly Tue 09-Jun-15 13:31:54

The agency will tell you all you need to know confused

NannyNim Tue 09-Jun-15 13:31:56

Speak to the agency! They used to have a salary guide on the website but if you can't find that just ring and ask. Otherwise, ask her! She'll have an idea based on what she was earning previously and what all her peers are earning.

Heels99 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:33:03

The agency will know what similar nannies are paid.
Also will you be providing a car etc

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Tue 09-Jun-15 13:35:09

There is a salary guide on the Norland agency website www.norland.co.uk/agency/nannies/salary_and_placement_fees. I think you are looking at around �40k.

Good luck with it. Our Norland Nanny was truly our Mary Poppins. She came to us in her probabtion year and she is still an important part of our family 3 years after she left us. Through our NN we met many other NNs and they were mostly delightful.

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Tue 09-Jun-15 13:37:31

Actually, I think �40k is probably at the low end. Remember that you will be competing with VIPs and oligarchs to recruit a NN and they often pay �����.

Pumpeedo Tue 09-Jun-15 13:37:53

My Norland told me her salary. Back in 2008 it was £24k plus car plus granny flat. If you're paying gym membership, etc it's a BIK and would need to continue if she was sick or was on maternity leave.

I have to say she was worth every penny and was with us until the littlest went off to boarding school. It does sound strange that she hasn't named her price to you. Check her qualifications.

Pumpeedo Tue 09-Jun-15 13:43:31

Are you going directly thro the Norland College in Bath to recruit her? I enquired last year and they wouldn't even suggest a candidate without knowing my T&Cs. If it's a standalone agency, just double check all her details. I know you shouldn't have to but you just never know.

Hopetogether Wed 10-Jun-15 07:12:00

I am of similar and a nanny. I would expect £12 net. Hope this helps.
I know many nannies on this who are not Norlanders.

Hopetogether Wed 10-Jun-15 07:12:24

Similar qualification. Brilliant grammar whoops!

electionfatigue Wed 10-Jun-15 08:22:15

Going rate for a live out nanny round here, NW London zone 3 is £10 net per hour despite the agencies trying to push that up. I wouldn't pay extra for the Norland name, personally, what do you get for it other than the kudos?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 10-Jun-15 10:52:46

Very surprised you didn't talk salary - I always know what the family will pay as if they couldn't afford me no point in going

What do you want to pay?

Would you pay same /less more for a qual nanny who isn't Normans but had 10/15yrs exp

mrswishywashy Wed 10-Jun-15 13:52:34

Also surprised that either the nanny or agency haven't given an indication of wage. I don't attend interview unless I know an estimate. I also mention at first interview as well.

I would expect minimum of £12 gross per hour. However if you have a top figure you can afford then I'd go a couple of pounds per hour below that so that you can have a pay rise after six months or a year if all is going well.

Also its an employers market at the moment, over all nanny wages have dropped or stagnated from five years ago.

BIWI Wed 10-Jun-15 15:50:24

This is an odd thread altogether, from a first-time poster as well ...

Chuggsbugs Mon 15-Jun-15 21:22:09

Thanks for all the (mostly) helpful tips. The agency were being unhelpful, both to ourselves and the nanny, so we reached a mutually agreeable rate without the agency's involvement and the agency is now drafting the employment contract.

BIWI - There is nothing odd about the post. We have never hired a nanny before and the agency was being quite obstructive wrt salary discussions. We had indicated a salary band when the role was advertised.

Nothing wrong either with being a first-time poster. Posting unhelpful comments like that gives MN a bad name and discourages people from seeking advice or help.

SkodaLabia Mon 15-Jun-15 21:43:05

40 grand?!?!? For looking after a kid or two?!?! Where do I apply?

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 15-Jun-15 21:46:18

Surprised the agency didn't give you a ballpark

What did you agree on in the end

Also most agencies won't draft contracts now as they are not legally trained and there could be a comeback

Nanny tax companies have one or you can find them online

mrswishywashy Mon 15-Jun-15 21:54:55

That's a shame about the agency especially as you're the one paying them, they should be there to guide both nanny and employer.

As blondes said I'd make sure to get agency contract looked over by an employment lawyer or use a nanny tax company.

If agency has been unhelpful with guiding a rate I can't imagine their contract is up to scratch either. Also a good idea to look online for areas that may be missed in a contract, mums net I think even has threads.

Hope you and your nanny have a very happy working relationship.

Chuggsbugs Mon 15-Jun-15 22:11:50

Thank you, mrswishywashy!

Totally agree re. the agency...absolutely useless and very bizarre.

Thank you for the heads up re. contracts and mumsnet. I also have two employment lawyer friends who have kindly volunteered their services.

BIWI Mon 15-Jun-15 22:42:12

Sorry Chuggsbugs. We have had so many trolls on MN recently that I'm over-suspicious.

ImNotChangingMyUsernameAgain Mon 15-Jun-15 22:49:21

If you PM your email address I would be happy to send you my template contract which is based on the one that Norland first sent me, which I have improved over time with experience. It is the bollocks if I say so myself!

Chuggsbugs Tue 16-Jun-15 12:52:33

No problem, BIWI smile

Thank you, ImNotChanging - that is very lovely of you. Will drop you a message now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now