This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder is getting a dog

(14 Posts)
mrsharvey1981 Tue 26-May-15 11:16:08

Hello, I have a fantastic childminder who I adore and my kids are very happy with. Yesterday she told me she was getting another dog, a Staffordshire bull terrier. She already has one dog, which I was fine with but I have real concerns about the new addition. My concerns are more than just the breed, I know many sbt's make lovely pets, but I have to admit it would not be a dog I would personally choose. I have concerns about how she will manage to look after 3/4/5 sometimes 6 children whilst managing the needs of a small puppy. I am also concerned that even if the dog has a lovely temperament, that they are incredibly strong - my children are two years old - easily skittled by a powerful animal. I will talk to my childminder about this, they get the dog in a few months, but how would you handle a situation like this?

trice Tue 26-May-15 11:19:50

Personally I think that if she is a good childminder she will have thought it all through and will have plans in place to keep small children away from her new puppy. If she plans to have six children and two dogs in an enclosed space she is not a good childminder and I would question her judgement on everything else she does.

KatharineClifton Tue 26-May-15 11:22:27

Most dogs are strong. Trained dogs are fine. Is the existing dog trained? Pups sleep most the time anyway so why wouldn't she be able to childmind and care for the pup?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-May-15 11:22:33

Would it help to know that Stafforshire Bull Terriers are also known as 'the nanny dog' because they have such a good reputation with children? Also I would think a puppy is safer than an adult dog as there is no unknown history.

At the end of the day though it's down to you and your happiness with the situation. If it troubles you, maybe look out for another childminder?

tabulahrasa Tue 26-May-15 11:26:08

As she's already got a dog - I'd assume she knows exactly what the care needs are and has planned for it...

Staffies are powerful for their size, they're also pretty small though, so yes they are stronger than a cocker spaniel, but they aren't stronger than a labrador who is 3 times their size.

mrsharvey1981 Tue 26-May-15 11:38:06

Yes I think she has planned for it - they are building an outside run and her current dog is good with kids. I don't honestly think she would put any child at risk but am still having a niggle.

I fully admit that I haven't had a great deal of experience of the breed but I think I would be a bit hesitant about her getting any new dog. Has anyone else been in this position and how did you approach it?

KatharineClifton Tue 26-May-15 12:19:44

So, she's good at her job, has forward planned everything wrt the new dog, has a trained dog already. You are still upset.

biscuit

mrsharvey1981 Tue 26-May-15 12:34:42

No I am not upset, just trying to make the best choices for my kids. I am trying to avoid a knee-jerk reaction and base my decision on good sound advice. I find sometimes just talking or writing things out can help with that.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 26-May-15 12:42:25

I'm not quite sure what you are expecting from people here OP? You childminder is getting a second dog. That is a fact presumably? She hasn't asked your advice or opinion?

In that case, as you are worried about it I only see two options. 1) you withdraw your children 2) you view it with an open mind to seeing how it goes. If you don't feel your childminder is on top of 2 dogs plus 3/4/5 children, then you look for another option. If you don't feel the dogs are separate enough, then you look for another option.

mrsharvey1981 Tue 26-May-15 12:47:45

Yip, I agree those are my options. I think most people post on forums like this to get advice and second opinions, which is exactly what I was hoping for, so thank you all for that.

Koalafications Tue 26-May-15 12:51:19

I'm a real dog lover but I couldn't leave my children with a childminder if they had a dog.

I wouldn't even consider two dogs.

ZenNudist Tue 26-May-15 13:09:20

I don't like dogs and don't know anything about them. I wouldn't leave a child with a minder with a dog, I'd be scared if could bite dc or just be plain unhygienic.

As you don't mind one dog I don't really see the problem with 2?

Lindy2 Tue 26-May-15 13:20:55

Have a chat with her about your concerns. Hopefully she will put your mind at rest and will already have planned how she will manage things. I'm a childminder but not really a fan of dogs so we don't have one. I do know several minders that do have dogs though.

mrsnewfie Tue 26-May-15 16:08:20

She sounds like a good childminder, who has thought everything through and will have strategies in place.

I think you may be experiencing a knee jerk reaction because of the breed and the unfortunate reputation caused by a few idiot owners.

Consider the fact that she already has a trained dog and the new puppy is highly likely to be well trained too. The childminder is creating a run for the dogs, which indicates that they will be kept separate anyway.

If your kids like her and you're happy at the moment with her current doggie arrangement, I would give it a chance rather than do anything rash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now