This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny orientation

(5 Posts)
MaddingCrowd Tue 05-May-15 06:57:30

What do you do when your nanny starts? Do you just sit down and have a chat about everything or do you also write out some
Kind of pack with routines, suggestions for things to do in the area, suggestions of meals to cook etc. as long as children are happy and eating lots of vegetables I'm not too fussed about what she does so I don't want to present her with some kind of manifesto and make her feel like she has stickto it, even if I tell her its just a rough guide it seems an bit intimidating. But on the flip side I don't want to leave her all at sea with no clue how we usually do things, where to go etc. How does one usually start off with a nanny?

MaddingCrowd Tue 05-May-15 06:58:06

Sorry for horrendous grammar! Phone!

NoParking Tue 05-May-15 07:06:17

I wrote out a schedule (times and places of school, nursery, after school activities etc). Also key contact numbers for me, DH, school, nursery, GP, dentist, grandparents.

I should have printed out a local area map, too, as she spent the second morning driving round and working out where things were.

I talked through things like our attitude to food, homework, politeness etc - the note was purely the factual stuff.

littleladyluna Tue 05-May-15 09:52:35

I'd prefer to be told in advance, either verbally or in written format. I hate to get things "wrong" because I was never told otherwise.

I was once reprimanded in a very snippy email because I dared to feed the child a vegetarian meal. Very detailed instructions followed about protein being in meat form and a whole host of other things. These are things that should actually be discussed at interview (because had I known I probably wouldn't have taken the job), or at least told to me before I had the opportunity to irritate the mum.

The more details the better as far as I'm concerned.

Artandco Tue 05-May-15 10:00:08

I think you don't need full on plans but guidance to make it smoother help

Ie you can say you want healthy meals, no xyz, and then give 3 favourite meals so they have an idea what type they like and can cook first few weeks more so the children have something familiar

Otherwise I would leave a small booklet with numbers such as yours and husbands, grandparents or friends to call in emergency, school numbers, local doctors, your work number. All easy access incase needed. You can also note places of interest children currently like and go to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now