Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

*****VERY UPSET CHILDMINDER HADLEIGH*****

(112 Posts)
lovingmumof1 Sun 01-Oct-06 21:17:25

I have been childminding for just over a year now and haven't had the best of starts, I have been told on a number of occassions by my colleagues that people have been telling friends not to use me as I have a dog. Now I think that is totally unfair towards me and the dog as this is my living and if these people came to see us they would realise he is not bad, OFSTED wouldn't have registered me if the dog was bad. I know with what has happened resently about dogs that may put people off, it would me, but how am I supposed to make a living as I love working with children and being at home with my DS. PLEASE COULD HADLEIGH PARENTS GIVE ME SOME INFO AS IT IS GETTING ME DOWN

dmo Mon 02-Oct-06 09:51:16

i'm a childminder and dont have any animals at all not even a fish
my ds1 has asthma as a lot of children do now and i worry about allergies

my ds2 would love an animal any animal at all so we lend him out to friends to feed their animals while they are on hol he loves it

ledodgywizardrobespierre Mon 02-Oct-06 09:51:28

I'm afraid I wouldn't consider a cm with a dog either.

boo70 Mon 02-Oct-06 09:53:43

Hi i have three dogs all staffordshire bull terriers, just had my ofsted inspection and all ok, i do have a pet policy in place that parents sign, but feel its such a joy for the children i mind to experience what fun we have with the dogs when we go out for walks etc. My dogs do have there own part of the garden and house but the children will come into contact with the dogs at least once a day, and i explain this to all of the parents. But each to there own my sister is scared of dogs and said if she was looking for a childminder she would not even go to the house if they had dogs.

colditz Mon 02-Oct-06 09:54:36

Cats aren't as bad, because no cat has ever ripped a toddler's face off. Sorry to be brutal, but people care far more about their children than either your dog or your feelings.

I wouldn't have a childminder with a dog either. I don't like dogs, I don't want my children to be licked, sniffed, slobbered on and I don't want them to come home smelling of dog. OFSTED have no idea how your dog behaves, and neither do the parents, and to be honest until your dog has passed away, you won't know whether he will ever bite a child.

It's too big a risk, when there are people who don't have that unpredictable, potentially lethal creature living in their home.

ledodgywizardrobespierre Mon 02-Oct-06 09:55:47

Well said Colditz.

hunkermunster Mon 02-Oct-06 09:57:59

IME cats are more likely to go "oh bloody hell, children!" and run and hide.

looneytune Mon 02-Oct-06 10:03:23

I'm a childminder and love dogs, was brought up with them as a child BUT I am so protective about my ds, I personally wouldn't choose a childminder with dogs if I needed one. That's just because I'd want to be in control if their were dogs about.

I have a cat and just as hunker said, he goes 'bloody hell, children!' and legs it. He legs it through the cat flap if he's hungry, eats then legs it out again. In the winter he may stay up in our bedroom during the day. As for poo, he never does it in our garden. Cats normally do their toilet business in other people's gardens

nzshar Mon 02-Oct-06 10:07:52

I have a cat and as a CM realise that there will be people that dont take me on because of this. I have actually had someone turn around and ask me to lose the cat or lose her potential business, needless to say I lost her business
We got our cat before we had ds (2.3) and is not particularly happy about children being around and as hunker as said she just runs and stays in the places she knows they wont be eg in our bedroom.
I personally love dogs and have brought up ds not to be afraid of them at all but I would never consider having one while i was a CM because they can be unpredictable.
Having said all this it still is a personal choice and by no means should anyone be telling anyone else not to go to even see you because
of your dog

aitch71 Mon 02-Oct-06 12:49:36

by the way, i can't imagine that people would actively be campaigning against you to their friends just because you have a dog, as your OP suggests. i would think the conversation would be more likely to go:

Friend 1: Have you heard there's a new childminder in Hadleigh? I wonder if she'd be able to look after little Tarquin?

Friend 2: She's got a dog.

Friend 1: Oh.

Friend 2: Did you see X-Factor on Saturday?

It's just not for some people, I'm afraid, and i really, really love dogs. By the way, i know a woman who was attacked by her daughter's cat and really seriously injured (her face was permanently scarred). the cat had never done it before and it caused a rift between the mother and daughter as the daughter refused to have the cat put down, leaving the mother too scared to go into her DD's house.

NomDePlume Mon 02-Oct-06 12:52:40

I wouldn't use a childminder if they had a dog. No way. My 4 year old DD has been bitten 3 times by 2 different 'sweet natured' dogs (my Mum's dogs).

It's just not worth taking the risk, imo.

I'm sure there are families who wouldn't be bothered by the dog too, though.

HappyMumof2 Mon 02-Oct-06 13:31:37

Message withdrawn

MellowMonsta Mon 02-Oct-06 13:39:06

I have a dog but am afraid I wouldnt use cm with dog. I know I clean my house, the dogs has time alone in cage and I stop my dog going near kids faces but I would not be as confident of someone else doing this.

NomDePlume Mon 02-Oct-06 13:41:31

They will smell that you have a dog, even if they don't see it. Even the cleanest of doggy households have that distinctive whiff.

MellowMonsta Mon 02-Oct-06 13:55:31

True...I even have puppy spray to make mine smell nice.

Not sure which smells worse though

qi Mon 02-Oct-06 14:17:03

I wouldn't leave my DS with someone has a dog (apart from the grandparents who visit us without their dog). I am a dog lover and consider getting a dog when he is older.
I think this is just people's opinions, sure someone would like find a cm with a nice dog.

tigermoth Mon 02-Oct-06 14:28:03

I'dthink twice about using a childminder with a dog too. It would depend on supply and demand and other factors. If there were few other choices, and I liked you and your approach, I might say 'yes' but it would be in spite of the dog - not because of.

As well as the unpredictability of the dog and my childtogether, I would worry that the dog might take attention away from my child, expecially at crisis moments.

Sorry!

Blu Mon 02-Oct-06 14:38:58

Another Dog Refusenik here!

I thnk you need to get to the bottom of your facts here. Is there anyone you could ask to talk to directly, rather than hearing it all through the grapevine? I don't mean call them and accuse them of gossip, I mean ask for constructive feedback. "I'm not getting many clients - someone mentioned it could be the dog, do you have a view on that, or any other reason why I'm not full yet?". I wouldn't choose a dog owner as my first choice, but I wouldn't tell other people not to.
Not unless the house reeked of dog and the dog slobbered all over the food and the dog-ness was in any other way particularly noticable.
Is it a breed against which people tend to be prejudiced?

Otherwise advertise in a dog magazine! then dog lovers will use you!!

katierocket Mon 02-Oct-06 14:40:42

Not had time to read all the posts but I definitely wouldn't choose a childminder with a dog.

hulababy Mon 02-Oct-06 14:44:36

Sorry, but I also would not choose a childcarer (be that CM or nursery) with a dog.

I think there is a big difference between a cat and a dog TBH. A cat I wouldn't mind omce I had been there and visited.

NotSoUselessMum Mon 02-Oct-06 14:48:09

I don't think I'd mind my CM having a dog. It'll have to depend on many factors of course.
we have a dog and a cat. i like DD to be around animals, not to be scared of them but also to be respectful and knowing how to handle them.

when we take our small old dog out it's the kids who've never been aroud dogs, those who are afraid who always do things wrong, like screaming and jumping all over and around her, touching her where they shouldn't, even throwing sticks at her, that cause the dog to be agitated.

I grew up with dogs and cats and I think it's the best things for kids. I've also been bitten by a dog, a guard dog though.

Marina Mon 02-Oct-06 14:49:48

It's a pointer, blu. Big gun dog

Blu Mon 02-Oct-06 14:52:20

Oh. Sorry. Didn't see that. I think they are lovely dogs, but I suspect a small fluffy mongrel would be more enticing to clients - even most pro-dog clients!

Marina Mon 02-Oct-06 14:53:42

They are handsome beasts - my cousin had one. Just don't feel they mix with small, not very familiar children.

mazzystar Mon 02-Oct-06 14:57:34

Sorry, silly as it might sound, because I am sure he's perfectly lovely and well-trained, I'd be scared of your dog. There is no way I'd consider a childminder with a dog.

tissy Mon 02-Oct-06 14:57:39

both dd and I love dogs, but I would think twice about a childminder with a dog- not primarily because of worries over safety, but because dd has allergies. Don't know if she is allergic to dogs, but don't want to risk it.

Do you ahve a local cm coordinator you could talk to? TBH- I doubt if there's anything you can do about people being wary of dogs at the moment, that's life. Even if you are right that people have been putting off friends by mentioning the dog, I suspect that anyone who hadn't heard, came to visit, and then hsaw the dog, would be put off then (if they were the typr to be put off, IYSWIM)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now