This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

*****VERY UPSET CHILDMINDER HADLEIGH*****

(112 Posts)
lovingmumof1 Sun 01-Oct-06 21:17:25

I have been childminding for just over a year now and haven't had the best of starts, I have been told on a number of occassions by my colleagues that people have been telling friends not to use me as I have a dog. Now I think that is totally unfair towards me and the dog as this is my living and if these people came to see us they would realise he is not bad, OFSTED wouldn't have registered me if the dog was bad. I know with what has happened resently about dogs that may put people off, it would me, but how am I supposed to make a living as I love working with children and being at home with my DS. PLEASE COULD HADLEIGH PARENTS GIVE ME SOME INFO AS IT IS GETTING ME DOWN

cece Sun 01-Oct-06 21:19:13

That is ridiculous!

My cm had a dog and when that one died she got a puppy. Certainly didn't put me off.

What breed is it though as that might be influencing people's opinions?

foundintranslation Sun 01-Oct-06 21:22:00

I'm not a hadleigh parent, but tbh I wouldn't use a childminder who had a dog. However nice the dog, there is always that potential for something going wrong - and if you are looking after several children you could always be distracted and something could happen in that moment. i think I would also prefer to be able to assist my child to build up a relationship with dogs on my terms, not someone else's. HTH.

KellyKrueger1978 Sun 01-Oct-06 21:26:20

my cm has a dog. The kids love it, but I msut admit I don't. Dogs can turn, they can get worms or fleas, they jump up and lick, and scare my toddlers, and they often smell.I know for a dog owner, the dog can eb a big part of the family, but many parents who don't have dogs prob feel the same way as me. However, there are lots of ppl out there who do keep dogs or may be happy for their children to be around a dog, so focus on them. Emphasis the positives of the children beign around a dog. Either that or can you keep the mindees and the dog seperate?

cece Sun 01-Oct-06 21:30:55

There are people like me though that don't really give it a second thought. However, cm dog was a lovely old plodder of a labrador. And I really like dogs.

The only reason we don't have one is becaus eDH doesn't like them...

zoeuk1 Sun 01-Oct-06 21:35:48

im a childminder and no-one has ever been put off because of our dog

Katymac Sun 01-Oct-06 21:38:06

I'm sorry Lmof1 - but if you have a dog you will put off some people

If you have a cat you will put off others

& if you have a snake/tarantula you will put off loads

I'm afraid that's life

Have you policies for keeping the dog away from the children (eh when you go to the loo)

& for keeping part of the garden poo free (no scooping them up won't be enough)

& for handling struggling children/buggy/dog on lead

lovingmumof1 Sun 01-Oct-06 22:23:45

To answer some questions he is a pointer, I have his bed under the stairs and a gate on the living room door to keep them seperate. I am quite lucky I have a large garden with a fence between the children and the dog, he is trained to walk with the pushchair ever since DS was born he may pull occsasionally, In my opinion all children should get the chance to learn how to look after a cat or a dog,no offence about cats but cats can be just as bad as dogs even worse.

NastyNemo666 Sun 01-Oct-06 22:27:29

personally..wouldnt use a CM with a dog even though I am a dog owner. I would worry about a strange child doing something to the dog which could make them turn. I am sure your dog is lovely and placid as ours is but you can never 100% trust them even if they have been in the family for years.

lovingmumof1 Sun 01-Oct-06 22:29:04

I also have drop in's at my home were there could be any number of children between my colleagues and me, he is fine around them, may sniff but what dog doesn't.

Twiglett Sun 01-Oct-06 22:30:09

I wouldn't use a childminder with a dog either

but I'm sure other people would

misdee Sun 01-Oct-06 22:31:51

i wouldnt use a CM with a dog. even though i have had dogs in the past, i have seen how my kids can be around animals, even ones they know.

hunkermunker Sun 01-Oct-06 22:32:25

"may sniff, but what dog doesn't" - that sort of remark is exactly the reason I wouldn't use a childminder with a dog.

I don't want to be sniffed, thanks. Nor do I want the children sniffed.

In fact, I don't want to be near a black-gummed toothy thing with a wet nose and a penchant for jumping up and scrabbling at me (or worse, shoving his nose in my crotch or licking my face).

I don't particularly like dogs though. Perhaps you can tell that?

justamindlesszombiemum Sun 01-Oct-06 23:20:39

lovingmum, i actually chose my ex cm because she had dogs!! (and she was rated ofsted excellent) I am a dogless dog person and wanted ds to grow up comfortable with them. (in the vain hope that our combined influence may one day convince dh to let me have one) my cm was very clear about her policy about her dogs, in the light of recent news stories it may be worth reiterating your pet policy or creating a special policy document to give to prospective parents.

moondog Sun 01-Oct-06 23:22:41

I wouldn't choose a childminder with a dog either.
Sorry.

Murphee Sun 01-Oct-06 23:30:38

I am the opposite of Hunkermunker - I do want to be sniffed/my child to be sniffed etc. because I want her to grow up unafraid of animals and to have respect for them. However, DD is 2.9 and although I desperately want a dog she isn't yet old enough to be aware of neighbour's cat ie. she pesters him (despite constant requests not to) and occasionally he scratches her, then we have floods of tears. For this reason I won't yet buy a dog, for fear she will be bitten. I expect there are parents who avoid you for the same reason - it's a shame though.

mysonsmummy Mon 02-Oct-06 00:47:13

when i was looking for a cm for ds i would have not chosen one who had a dog. we all have our prefernces and you said it yourself about dogs having a bad press. not sure what a 'bad' dog is? but also i wouldnt have chose a cm who smoked or had no garden. the list goes on and its different for each of us.

sallyscarystrawberry Mon 02-Oct-06 01:06:47

mine had a dog and cows and sheep
she lived on a farm
was great for dd
we miss her

sallyscarystrawberry Mon 02-Oct-06 01:07:51

now if she'd had a cat
I would of had to say no
Im allergic

CalifornifamousFanjo Mon 02-Oct-06 02:04:05

aorry - I wouldnt use a CM with a dog either.

CalifornifamousFanjo Mon 02-Oct-06 02:05:58

but then I like dogs less than Hunker and that's saying something.

aitch71 Mon 02-Oct-06 02:27:48

it's your choice to have a dog, so surely you don't object to other people exercising their right to choose not to have you as their childminder.
i know it's not what you want to hear, but i'm another person who wouldn't want a CM with a dog. Or a cat. maybe a goldfish.
when i was three or four i was bitten by a dog who had never bitten anyone in his life before. he was a sweet thing, totally accustomed to children and i wasn't tormenting him but i remember that i did run past him quickly so i think i must have jumped too quickly into his line of vision, iykwim? he just snapped at me, bless him, i really only got a bad pinch but i do remember it shaking my confidence for a long time.

Dd doesn't go to a CM, but if she did I'd love her CM to have a dog. However, if she kept spiders ........

...... each to their own.

hunkermunster Mon 02-Oct-06 09:38:13

It's the attitude of "he's a dog and we all love dogs and if you don't there's something wrong with you" that I object to, rather than the actual sniffing in itself.

Marina Mon 02-Oct-06 09:47:22

Not from Hadleigh either, but I'd rule out anyone with a dog too I'm afraid. Especially a large working breed like a pointer, sorry.
I'd never "warn people off" you though - it's a personal choice issue and some people are fine about having a childminder with a pet. I'd also be honest and polite about it with you as well.
Cats aren't just as bad though IMO. Cats don't have the potential to kill a small child. Their excrement does not potentially contain a parasite that can blind a child.
We don't have either BTW - I'm not keen on pets in cities full stop. I am guessing you are a semi-rural location, I would expect that might mean more potential customers are OK with dogs.
Thing is though, if you look at the balance of opinions here, I think more people are put off dogs than not, and if there are other local childminders who don't have them, then that does narrow your likely clientele.

dmo Mon 02-Oct-06 09:51:16

i'm a childminder and dont have any animals at all not even a fish
my ds1 has asthma as a lot of children do now and i worry about allergies

my ds2 would love an animal any animal at all so we lend him out to friends to feed their animals while they are on hol he loves it

ledodgywizardrobespierre Mon 02-Oct-06 09:51:28

I'm afraid I wouldn't consider a cm with a dog either.

boo70 Mon 02-Oct-06 09:53:43

Hi i have three dogs all staffordshire bull terriers, just had my ofsted inspection and all ok, i do have a pet policy in place that parents sign, but feel its such a joy for the children i mind to experience what fun we have with the dogs when we go out for walks etc. My dogs do have there own part of the garden and house but the children will come into contact with the dogs at least once a day, and i explain this to all of the parents. But each to there own my sister is scared of dogs and said if she was looking for a childminder she would not even go to the house if they had dogs.

colditz Mon 02-Oct-06 09:54:36

Cats aren't as bad, because no cat has ever ripped a toddler's face off. Sorry to be brutal, but people care far more about their children than either your dog or your feelings.

I wouldn't have a childminder with a dog either. I don't like dogs, I don't want my children to be licked, sniffed, slobbered on and I don't want them to come home smelling of dog. OFSTED have no idea how your dog behaves, and neither do the parents, and to be honest until your dog has passed away, you won't know whether he will ever bite a child.

It's too big a risk, when there are people who don't have that unpredictable, potentially lethal creature living in their home.

ledodgywizardrobespierre Mon 02-Oct-06 09:55:47

Well said Colditz.

hunkermunster Mon 02-Oct-06 09:57:59

IME cats are more likely to go "oh bloody hell, children!" and run and hide.

looneytune Mon 02-Oct-06 10:03:23

I'm a childminder and love dogs, was brought up with them as a child BUT I am so protective about my ds, I personally wouldn't choose a childminder with dogs if I needed one. That's just because I'd want to be in control if their were dogs about.

I have a cat and just as hunker said, he goes 'bloody hell, children!' and legs it. He legs it through the cat flap if he's hungry, eats then legs it out again. In the winter he may stay up in our bedroom during the day. As for poo, he never does it in our garden. Cats normally do their toilet business in other people's gardens

nzshar Mon 02-Oct-06 10:07:52

I have a cat and as a CM realise that there will be people that dont take me on because of this. I have actually had someone turn around and ask me to lose the cat or lose her potential business, needless to say I lost her business
We got our cat before we had ds (2.3) and is not particularly happy about children being around and as hunker as said she just runs and stays in the places she knows they wont be eg in our bedroom.
I personally love dogs and have brought up ds not to be afraid of them at all but I would never consider having one while i was a CM because they can be unpredictable.
Having said all this it still is a personal choice and by no means should anyone be telling anyone else not to go to even see you because
of your dog

aitch71 Mon 02-Oct-06 12:49:36

by the way, i can't imagine that people would actively be campaigning against you to their friends just because you have a dog, as your OP suggests. i would think the conversation would be more likely to go:

Friend 1: Have you heard there's a new childminder in Hadleigh? I wonder if she'd be able to look after little Tarquin?

Friend 2: She's got a dog.

Friend 1: Oh.

Friend 2: Did you see X-Factor on Saturday?

It's just not for some people, I'm afraid, and i really, really love dogs. By the way, i know a woman who was attacked by her daughter's cat and really seriously injured (her face was permanently scarred). the cat had never done it before and it caused a rift between the mother and daughter as the daughter refused to have the cat put down, leaving the mother too scared to go into her DD's house.

NomDePlume Mon 02-Oct-06 12:52:40

I wouldn't use a childminder if they had a dog. No way. My 4 year old DD has been bitten 3 times by 2 different 'sweet natured' dogs (my Mum's dogs).

It's just not worth taking the risk, imo.

I'm sure there are families who wouldn't be bothered by the dog too, though.

HappyMumof2 Mon 02-Oct-06 13:31:37

Message withdrawn

MellowMonsta Mon 02-Oct-06 13:39:06

I have a dog but am afraid I wouldnt use cm with dog. I know I clean my house, the dogs has time alone in cage and I stop my dog going near kids faces but I would not be as confident of someone else doing this.

NomDePlume Mon 02-Oct-06 13:41:31

They will smell that you have a dog, even if they don't see it. Even the cleanest of doggy households have that distinctive whiff.

MellowMonsta Mon 02-Oct-06 13:55:31

True...I even have puppy spray to make mine smell nice.

Not sure which smells worse though

qi Mon 02-Oct-06 14:17:03

I wouldn't leave my DS with someone has a dog (apart from the grandparents who visit us without their dog). I am a dog lover and consider getting a dog when he is older.
I think this is just people's opinions, sure someone would like find a cm with a nice dog.

tigermoth Mon 02-Oct-06 14:28:03

I'dthink twice about using a childminder with a dog too. It would depend on supply and demand and other factors. If there were few other choices, and I liked you and your approach, I might say 'yes' but it would be in spite of the dog - not because of.

As well as the unpredictability of the dog and my childtogether, I would worry that the dog might take attention away from my child, expecially at crisis moments.

Sorry!

Blu Mon 02-Oct-06 14:38:58

Another Dog Refusenik here!

I thnk you need to get to the bottom of your facts here. Is there anyone you could ask to talk to directly, rather than hearing it all through the grapevine? I don't mean call them and accuse them of gossip, I mean ask for constructive feedback. "I'm not getting many clients - someone mentioned it could be the dog, do you have a view on that, or any other reason why I'm not full yet?". I wouldn't choose a dog owner as my first choice, but I wouldn't tell other people not to.
Not unless the house reeked of dog and the dog slobbered all over the food and the dog-ness was in any other way particularly noticable.
Is it a breed against which people tend to be prejudiced?

Otherwise advertise in a dog magazine! then dog lovers will use you!!

katierocket Mon 02-Oct-06 14:40:42

Not had time to read all the posts but I definitely wouldn't choose a childminder with a dog.

hulababy Mon 02-Oct-06 14:44:36

Sorry, but I also would not choose a childcarer (be that CM or nursery) with a dog.

I think there is a big difference between a cat and a dog TBH. A cat I wouldn't mind omce I had been there and visited.

NotSoUselessMum Mon 02-Oct-06 14:48:09

I don't think I'd mind my CM having a dog. It'll have to depend on many factors of course.
we have a dog and a cat. i like DD to be around animals, not to be scared of them but also to be respectful and knowing how to handle them.

when we take our small old dog out it's the kids who've never been aroud dogs, those who are afraid who always do things wrong, like screaming and jumping all over and around her, touching her where they shouldn't, even throwing sticks at her, that cause the dog to be agitated.

I grew up with dogs and cats and I think it's the best things for kids. I've also been bitten by a dog, a guard dog though.

Marina Mon 02-Oct-06 14:49:48

It's a pointer, blu. Big gun dog

Blu Mon 02-Oct-06 14:52:20

Oh. Sorry. Didn't see that. I think they are lovely dogs, but I suspect a small fluffy mongrel would be more enticing to clients - even most pro-dog clients!

Marina Mon 02-Oct-06 14:53:42

They are handsome beasts - my cousin had one. Just don't feel they mix with small, not very familiar children.

mazzystar Mon 02-Oct-06 14:57:34

Sorry, silly as it might sound, because I am sure he's perfectly lovely and well-trained, I'd be scared of your dog. There is no way I'd consider a childminder with a dog.

tissy Mon 02-Oct-06 14:57:39

both dd and I love dogs, but I would think twice about a childminder with a dog- not primarily because of worries over safety, but because dd has allergies. Don't know if she is allergic to dogs, but don't want to risk it.

Do you ahve a local cm coordinator you could talk to? TBH- I doubt if there's anything you can do about people being wary of dogs at the moment, that's life. Even if you are right that people have been putting off friends by mentioning the dog, I suspect that anyone who hadn't heard, came to visit, and then hsaw the dog, would be put off then (if they were the typr to be put off, IYSWIM)

donnie Mon 02-Oct-06 14:58:37

haven't read entire thread but I would NOT put a child of mine with a childminder who owns a dog, end of. In fact I am mildly annoyed that this is even allowed by OFSTED.

No offence, but I can't believe you are so indignant, TBH lovingmumof1. You may well like your dog but why should other people ? what about allergies, asthma,dog hair, the smell, dog licks, the risk of attacks plus the fact that a child may well be frightened? get real please! as for the chance to learn how to look after a dog, that's not why the children are in your care though is it?

QuiQuoQua Mon 02-Oct-06 15:11:53

although I have and love dogs and cats I'd understand why someone would not choose a CM with pets. Especially dogs.

But I find it a shame that some parents do not letting their children near animals because they smell or they're etc.

QuiQuoQua Mon 02-Oct-06 15:13:37

sorry for the mistakes... did it fast as I should be out shopping right now...

smeeinit Mon 02-Oct-06 15:14:44

bit ott there donnie!
lmof,i do sympathise with you and i do see it from the other side too.
im a cm and personally dont have or would have a dog but thats my personal choice,as is yours to own a dog.
i think the point here is that gossip mongers are putting people off using you because of your dog and that is not fair.

hunkermunster Mon 02-Oct-06 15:17:41

The reason I don't like DS1 near animals is not because they smell. It's because he kisses them (or tries to) on the mouth. Until he's big enough to understand that this isn't a great plan, I'll only let him near dogs when I'm with him.

donnie Mon 02-Oct-06 15:24:58

well it isn't really OTT though is it ? the OP says that:
"people have been telling friends not to use me as I have a dog". Therefore we can deduce from this that people do not want to use a childminder who owns a dog, or feel there are risks attached.

Not exactly rocket science.

lilymolly Mon 02-Oct-06 15:33:27

I have dog but not want dd going to cm with dog cos I would not know enough about the dog to make an ojective decision.
One point though, why are so many people against dog smells and dog hair?
You know I think one of the reasons todays little dd/ds have so much asthma and ecxema etc is becasue they are not exposed to such things. My concern would be the safety not that dogs may sniff me or leave a slight smell. Children should have contact with animals imo so they learn responsability and respect for other creatures.
P.S I hated dogs till I got my own now I love them!!!!!!!

donnie Mon 02-Oct-06 15:34:32

cos they stink

cos it gets everywhere.

lilymolly Mon 02-Oct-06 15:36:00

LOL seriously?? yeah I admit some do, but I PROMISE you mine does not, she has a bath regularly and my house does not smell either.
Sweeping generalistions me thinks......

HappyMumof2 Mon 02-Oct-06 15:36:05

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Mon 02-Oct-06 15:36:34

Message withdrawn

lilymolly Mon 02-Oct-06 15:36:48

Oh and men stink dont you think? maybe I should chuck out dp!

lilymolly Mon 02-Oct-06 15:38:28

agree its parent decision. childrens safety always comes first, thats why I lock dog away when anyone elses babies come around, but uf parents let older childern play with dog then thats up to them, dog loves kids.

ProfYaffle Mon 02-Oct-06 15:59:08

It wouldn't necessarily put me off. Dd goes to a nursery with dogs, chickens, sheep and a pony, I think it's fab. However, all the animals are in various pens/enclosures so the children don't have unfettered access to them. If you had a huge dog rampaging around I wouldn't like it but the conditions you describe sound fine.

I can understand that not everyone feels the same though.

staceym11 Mon 02-Oct-06 16:12:12

now until recently me and dd lived with my parents and their 2 german shepards, (one has recently died, very sad) and i was only slightly worried by one as dd got bigger (she used to warn dd away) but that was by the time dd could realise to stay away from her. the other one dd can still walk all over, shout at and sit on without me having to worry, because i know that dog and if hes had enough he goes upstairs (where dd is not)

BUT.........putting your child into care where there is a dog you do not know and could not possibly have any idea if/when they would turn is another point entirely, and no, although i am a dog lover, i would not use a CM with a dog.

smeeinit Mon 02-Oct-06 17:53:55

still stand by what i said donnie.....bit ott.
why would you be "mildly annoyed" that its allowed by ofsted?
do you also think ofsted should not allow cats? as their faeces are potentially lethal to children? or maybe ofsted should not allow cms to let their mindees come into contact with any dog.......just in case?
dont get me wrong in not a dog lover atall and will never have one but lmo1 is trying to make a living here and people gossiping telling others not to use her is utterly ridiculous, particually when she has obviously got measures in place to keep dog and mindees seperate.
people can make their own minds up whether to use her or not without others interfering. thats just my opinion!

Murphee Mon 02-Oct-06 18:38:21

Hunkermunster, I'm wondering if I trod on your toes back there - if so, I'm sorry - it wasn't deliberate AND I didn't even get your name right

Xena Mon 02-Oct-06 18:52:48

We had a dog that the children and I adored but when I started childminding full time (I started and registered for my niece) he had to go. He was VERY well trained ( I have offered to train other dogs in the past) and we got him as a puppy when DS was 2 so he was well used to children.
No matter how clean you are the hair gets everywhere, you need to keep the dog with you or shut away. Most Ofsted inspectors do not like childminders having dogs. Finacially I couldn't give up childminding when we had to give him away but I Would have done if I could. We still miss him terribly and to make matters worse we are moving to the countryside at the end of the year and my parents are going to help with the childcare of our 4 dc's so I won't be childminding.
But for the reasons I have listed I wouldn't choose a childminder with a dog either

Elf1981 Mon 02-Oct-06 19:14:30

My CM has 2 dogs. Doesn't bother me. One is her's, the other was her sons but when her son moved back in, so did the dog!
The dogs are kept in the kitchen / on the garden in the day. So in the living room, the kids have full roam. DD is only in the kitchen when the CM is sorting out dinner (dd is nearly 1 year old and gets fussy when cant see CM in the day!).
I personally dont trust dogs, but I still visit places with dogs at the house, cant seem to get away from them to be honest.
I'd much rather leave my dd with the CM who is loving than the faceless nurseries that I experienced when looking around for childcare places.

ThePrisoner Mon 02-Oct-06 19:51:00

I'm not keen on dogs myself (had a couple of very nasty experiences with so-called "nice" dogs) so wouldn't leave my own children with a minder with one. I'm afraid that, apart from the perceived danger non-dog-owning people like me have (sorry ), I also don't like being licked or dribbled on.

I currently have 2 cats, and it used to be more, and parents need to be reassured that I will keep their children safe from them. I love my cats, but are well aware that lots of people don't like cats. One of mine stays out when children are around; the other one, who is still very young, loves being around the children. However, I make sure that parents know that she isn't allowed to wander around on kitchen work surfaces, is well-toilet-trained and doesn't poop in toy boxes, and would never ever be left in a room with a sleeping child! I also accept that I may lose work if someone doesn't like cats.

lovingmumof1 - I think it is unkind for other people to badmouth you because you have a dog. Who are the people doing the talking? If it's other childminders, you need to ask them not to judge (easier said than done). However, if it has been potential parents who have visited already, then you need to look at why they have said anything.

As someone else has said already, parents will choose not to have a childminder for all sorts of reasons, and we have to accept that.

lovingmumof1 Tue 03-Oct-06 22:18:50

Thank you everyone for your input the main reason I put this ad on the board is to try and find out why these people are saying this, do they know me and are they trying to put me out of business. I have one Fulltimer at the moment and everyone gets on great but I would just like to have some other people phone me with interest.

S88AHG Thu 05-Oct-06 13:21:58

Hi I am CM with a dog and most people are glad I have him as it means their own child will not ask for one. He is extrememly friendly and neither of my children have any allergies relating to pet hair or asthma and I believe this is because we have a dog. I think it is unfair to just dismiss a CM because of that reason alone. I personally would be more worried about older children bullying my child as I have heard more stories of that than animals attacking children.

Twoandabump Fri 06-Oct-06 18:32:57

OK, I have thought about this, and I am going to put it down in black and white and maybe you can see what people are thinking, rather than not listening when we are trying to advise you.

I would guess that you will know who I am from the name, and I feel that you need to be told as when we try and tell you face to face, then you just don't seem to listen.

The dog problem is very simple. Think back to the cm drop in, and had a conversation about someone with 3 children coming to see you. Her boys were getting a little giddy and running around, and your dog got excited and scratched one of them. As a mum, I would not use you as I would view your dog as a risk to my children. Instead of defending the dog, think how this person must have felt. If the children are not used to dogs, then they will not know that what they are were doing would "get him excited". I know that when we have drop ins, I have told you that my son is frightened of dogs (and to be honest I am also not partial to them either), and yet you wtill do not put him out of the room, but let him around the house and sniff and worse.

The person who came will then go and find a different childminder. If she is then asked who she uses, or sho she would recommend maybe by someone else, then do you think that it will be you? No. They will say "Don't go there, she can't control the dog as it gets excited and scratched my child". I am not saying she has said this, but I am trying to get you to see the other side of the fence by putting yourself in other peoples shoes.

We have to sell our businesses the best we can, and our "reputations" really are built on what people see and hear about us. If you look a bit stressed and have children that run off alot, or not watched in mums and tots etc, then people will say "Don't go to them". If you are involved with the children, and support them then people will think of you if you need a childminder.

With the news being yet another dog biting a child, you will find that people will be put off anyway. Doesn't matter if they are friendly or not, they just look at the size of it against their child.

I am not trying to hurt feelings here, or anything like that, but it does upset me when you ask the question, and then don't listen to the answer. Being a northern lass, then I tend to say things how they are, and I am sorry if this upsets you, but I would prefer you to understand that the group always gives your number out, and unfortunately, we cannot make people phone.

gscrym Fri 06-Oct-06 18:50:53

Our last child minder had a dog and honestly, I couldn't tell you what he looked like. He was walked outwith the area of the house and garden before mindees arrived. He was kept upstairs in the house with his food and water. At lunchtime, childminder walked him whilst her mother (also registered) did the lunches. This allowed her a lunch break. He went back upstairs after that and only came down once the last child had gone. She had other registered childminders working with her (3 in total), so if she wanted to check how he was, there was always someone with the kiddliewinks. Her bathroom was downstairs so no-one had reason to be upstairs.
I have a dog and I would be wary of a minder with a dog wandering around. My pooch is placid but I have seen her growl and snap at a child who was in the house and had been annoying her, after me telling her mother to get her to stop.

daisy1999 Fri 06-Oct-06 18:58:27

I wouldn't dream of using a childminder who had a dog. I wouldn't trust anyone's dog with my child and there is the hygiene factor to consider.

janebracelet Fri 06-Oct-06 20:08:51

I have three dogs who the whole family love to bits,but i would not use a childminder with a dog because you can never be sure of the way the dog has been raised/trained.
I thing the asthma/allergies thing is starting to be shown by studies to be caused by lack of exposure to animals/dirt(obviously not excrement)that todays children experience -known as the hygiene hypothesis(anyone scientist bods out there to verify?)- however if you dont like dogs then you dont like them, nothing is going to change this-its an emotional reaction.
Its definitely each to their own.
I childminded for a short time(and I emphasise the short -I put away my working mother guilt and got back in the office very quickly).none of my clients seemed to care about the dogs -most had dogs of their own-they were more interested in quibbling over money.I did however set up a dog room in garage with old sofa for them-but noone asked me to do this,it was for my own peace of mind -they are big dogs and toddlers do get knocked over easily.
Loving mumof one I think you will have to accept that with the two schools of thought -like dogs but not keen on trusting someone elses dog with my child and the just dont like dog'ers -your potential clients numbers will be reduced.
My advice -QUIT CHILDMINDING (have to admit I'm very biased had a nightmare experience cm'ing -I'm scarred for life!!!)

Jimjams2 Fri 06-Oct-06 20:36:41

I don't have a dog. DS3 and ds1 go to a childminder with a dog. Bloody brilliant she is too. She has guinea pigs as well.

Jimjams2 Fri 06-Oct-06 20:37:41

oh and I'm fairly sure this childminder has no shortage of work - the dog doesn't have to out people off, although I think you do need to be clear about boundaries- but you sound like you use that anyway with the gates etc.

hadleigh Fri 06-Oct-06 22:09:57

Lovingmumof1 - I don't think that anyone is trying to put you out of business there are plenty of children needing care in Hadleigh for all childminders.

However because you have a dog you are going to reduce your prospective parents (as many have said on this thread they just will not use a cm that has a dog, regardless of the cm). Parents will not phone to ask about your services if they are not looking for a childminder with a dog (Calling would be a waste of their time and as I am sure you know we parents don't have a great deal of spare time)

Hadleigh is a fairly small tight knit community and the majority of parents all know each other in a round about way. I don't think that anyone is conspiring against you and spreading rumours. Through word of mouth you are just known as the childminder with the dog.

Parents (myself included) have an "ideal candidate" in their mind for who will look after their children. Out of all the childminders in Hadleigh I would only be prepared to leave my child with two of them as the rest do not fufil the requirements i am looking for.

There have been some really good suggestions on this thread from people trying to help. Ask someone (who you trust but who will be honest with you)to come round and offer their opion on your setting and their view of your dog, Advertise in a dog magazine (you will be attracting the attention of people who you know won't be put off by a dog), send a questionnaie to the parents of past mindees asking for their feedback. Be prepared to work on their views.

It is unstandable that you want to do things your way (its your business after all) but if your way hasn't been working then maybe it's time to make some adjustments.

Lou1979 Sun 08-Oct-06 10:54:01

I'm a childminder and have 2 very small dogs. The children love them! My intention was to keep them away from the children but this is impossible as the children beg to play with them! They dress them up and play with them like dolls!
I also have a rabbit. I think it's a good way of teaching responsibility. They learn how to look after pets by feeding and cleaning them out and also it's a great oppurtunity to teach basic hygiene.

Peanutgant Sun 08-Oct-06 19:17:40

I deliberately chose my nursery for DD because they have all sorts of animals there: sheep, donkeys, horses, goats, dogs and cats! we have two dogs and two cats too so for me animals are a bonus That said I wouldn't let her go to a house with a known troublesome breed i.e. Rottweiler, bull terriers etc but Pointers are lovely so for me no problems there.

Twoandabump Wed 11-Oct-06 07:46:12

I have had my post removed as you feel that it could do your business harm.

If you ask a question on an open, public domain like this, then you should accept that you may get an answer that you may not want to hear.

I appologise if I have caused you upset, but I thought by answering your question truthfully, you could escape any more worrying about why you do not get called. By doing it in this way, I thought that you might listen to comments that have been made rather than not taking them on board when we have tried to talk to you, but I was obviously wrong.

Sorry

FreakyFloss Wed 11-Oct-06 08:05:27

We went on our cm hunt 6 months ago now. I met one lovely lady, two ladies who would 'do' and one awful one. The two ladies who would do did not have dogs. One had two young DD's who even in the interview got obviuous preferential treatment. The other had no sleeping facilities for DS.

The awful one had two huge dogs, wasn't in when i arrived (on time) and when she did get there sat down and said 'ALRIIIGHT?'. nO TOUR, dogs loose and one small, minimal toy room. The lovely lady had a dog, a bird and guinea pigs. The dog is a small breed and does always seem very friendly. However, she is always kept in a partitioned off part of a room. AS others have said, there is also a special poop section of their garden.

On the whole we are very happy with her, DS woke up this morning wanting his shoes on and was calling her name. For us she shone through because of her professional friendly open approach, that she was so happily prepared to help us and be flexible and of course the fact DS settled in the house immediately and took to her straight away. But as others have said, our cm was chosen because of all these reasons and in spite of the dog.

if people are actively warning people about your dog, the thought occurs that maybe other people do not see him in the same way as you do. could other people view him as a threatening dog? to you he is a member of the family so you are more likely to forgive him any character flaws which other people would worry about. tbh i wouldnt trust a baby gate to keep a dog out of a room, my ex had a fairly small dog who could easily jump over their garden wall and that was a foot or so higher than most gates

while i would not dream of putting my kids in a house with a strange dog, i also wouldnt badmouth a childminder with a dog unless i thought the dog was a cause for concern. while none of us like to admit our kids can be badly behaved, other people are often a lot more blunt about what they see and in the case of a threatening dog i doubt they would feel the need to be very kind im afraid, i certainly wouldnt be if i thought it was possibly a danger

jenkel Wed 11-Oct-06 08:33:06

I think by having animals you are reducing your pool of possible mindees.

I wouldnt go to a cm with a dog, I dont know any dogs, my kids dont know any dogs and I am a bit nervous of dogs, which I think is a sensible thing to be, certain types of dogs can do kids a lot of harm.

We have a cat, I wouldnt imagine a cat could do as much harm as a dog, they just arent as big and powerful as some dogs. But saying that when we have kids come to play some are quite nervous of our cat, so I make sure she is out of the way for the whole time they are here.

mumandlovingit Wed 11-Oct-06 09:37:18

i think its bad that people are talking about you to put people off using you as a cm but if it is a small town then people will talk.i dont know alot about where you live

i dont use a cm but to be honest i dont let my children near dogs full stop.both are allergic to them and cats and we cant take them into someones house even if the pets are in a different room.alot of children have allergies and i think that needs to be considered when being a cm.

we didnt know our children were allergic until we'd explored all other avenues and the symptoms eventully died down once our dog had been put down from cancer and we weren't visiting relatives with pets too often.

i would try to appeal to a different market of people and openly advertise that you have a dog and make people clear of your policy regarding it with the children.

my mil's westie went for my son twice and thats the most placid dog id ever known.you really dont ever know where children and any animals are concerned and i think that is why people might be put off any cm with an animal.

its hard but please see both sides.im not keen with dogs and yes children need to learn responsibility towards animals etc but as a parent i would rather do that with them in my own home and myself than have someone else teach them that in a way that i have no control of.

i hope you can get this issue resolved.

anniemac Wed 11-Oct-06 10:17:25

Message withdrawn

flis Wed 18-Oct-06 18:44:04

Just to add, although I would chose a childminder for her and not the animal companions, I would think carefully before putting my dds with anyone who DIDN'T have some sort of pet.

HappyMumof2 Wed 18-Oct-06 19:31:53

Message withdrawn

Isyhan Wed 18-Oct-06 19:59:46

Its interesting that a few months ago we had a thread on here about whether dogs put people off and I think I was one of the few people who said I wouldnt be happy to use a Cmder with a dog now suddenly because of the recent press everyone agrees. How fickle we are!! No seriously, my daughter wants a dog but because Ive started cmding I wont get one. Thats the reality of it Im afraid. However my cat did pee the OFSTED lady off I think by sitting on the table and staring at her!

Imaminda Tue 04-Jan-11 22:22:54

Im a cm and I have a dog It has been trained to wear a basket muzzle whenever there are children here and although it is very friendly this safeguards me and the children, reassures the parents and means that the children can smooth it without fear. Its a rescue dog that is quite old now so most of the time it stays out of the way but when it needs to go out the garden etc its safe. The way we see it if it did bite a child it would be life changing for the child and life endng for the dog so the muzzle works fine and parents are reassured by it. The dog is muzzled before I open the door to the first mindee and it comes off when the last child leaves - its just a normal part of my routine here now just like hoovering before the crawling baby arrives

UniS Wed 05-Jan-11 10:00:06

Dog would normally put me off as DS dislikes dogs. I have chosen not to look into using 2 local CMs who have/ had dogs and took dog in car with mindees or let dogs roam house with mindees.

BUT- his occasional ( afterschool and holidays) CM does have dog. Dog is kept in large cage in separate part of house when there are mindees there. Only taken for walks with mindees IF CMs teenage son is there to walk the dog. DS says he likes this dog, BUT he actually has practically no contact with it.

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 10:03:06

Haven't read the whole thread, but... I wouldn't use a cm with a dog. DS is 2. Some people wouldn't mind using a cm with a dog. But I would. Sorry.

Nothing against you or dogs and the dog could be the most gentle enjoyable dog in the world. I still wouldn't use a cm with a dog, though (even if s/he says it's kept locked up).

You'll have to accept that some parents will want to use a cm with a dog, some won't mind, and some won't want a cm with a dog.

It's a parent's choice whether or not they want an environment with a dog for their dc or not. Yes, valuable lessons in caring for a pet...etc... but still, some people (me included) will not want to place their dc with a cm with a dog.

StarExpat Wed 05-Jan-11 10:04:38

OH LOL just seen how old this thread is. Why/how to people drag these things back up into active? It's confusing! grin

happychappy Wed 05-Jan-11 10:39:23

I was a childminder with a dog for a period. I never had any difficultly getting work. However as a parent I would want to meet the dog and see the pet policy and see how owner and dog interact before making a decision to leave my children with them.

Nuttychicken Fri 07-Jan-11 18:42:01

I'm not from Hadleigh either.

I have just changed to a new childminder and she has a dog. I have to say that, were my son a small baby I may have been more hesitant but I want my son to be around animals and actively encourage him to be confident around all animals. That said I did rule out one childminder with a snake...

You may find that it will put off some parents but others may not be bothered. If you are clear in your advertising that you have a dog but that your house is clean, that the dog's toilet area is separate to the children's garden area etc and that your dog is used to children and fully vaccinated, you'll hopefully meet like-minded parents.

Sorry you are not having much luck.

Sequins Fri 07-Jan-11 21:21:21

Sorry, not read whole thread, but I wouldn't generally choose a childminder with a dog either. Having said that, lovingmumof1, your description of your setting sound fine, so maybe it is just a question of trying to get more people to actually come and meet you?

Sequins Fri 07-Jan-11 21:22:51

LOL wonder if OP is still checking this thread 4 1/2 yrs on and still has a dog? Hope your business has improved, if so!

andrea315 Fri 07-Jan-11 23:08:25

Im i childminder with a dog and the parents and children love him he even got christmas presents off them all. One parent sent her children to me because i have a dog and her children were afraid of them and she wanted them to be around one so they wouldnt be , i can say that now they are the total opposite and are asking for a dog.
I wouldnt be without my dog he is a great friend to me and a great friend to the children,some people wouldnt send their children to a childminder with a dog but i can honestly say in 5 years i have only had one child that didnt start because i have a dog. oh and my midwife always told me that cats were worse for diseases !!

new2cm Sun 09-Jan-11 17:59:06

I have cats.

When I asked for feedback from the 5 prospective parents as to why they did not chose my services, 3 of them stated my cats, which is fair enough.

I love my cats but I accept that I will lose business because of them. As someone already said, that's life.

kingjam76 Thu 21-Feb-13 21:21:22

Looking for a childminder in Hadleigh. Do you have any vacancies?

ReetPetit Thu 21-Feb-13 22:11:53

lol grin

RosieGirl Fri 22-Feb-13 08:37:49

Bonkers!

if you choose not to choose a childminder for one reason or another, fine, visit make your decision and leave.

But STOP the paranoia. Take things at face value and stop prejudging. See what the individual minder has in place. We don't stop taking children in cars, although kids are regularly killed and injured, we minimise the risks, by having safer cars and cars seats. Others haven't immediately removed their kids from nursery after watching the awful programme the other night.

I obviously see it from a different perspective, living in the middle of nowhere, animals are the norm, nearly all of my families have them as well.

But I think most of the posters wouldn't touch me with a barge pole, as well as a small menagerie, I have an old thatched cottage, with stone floors, a filthy garden, the kids here haven't gone home clean for months. But I have never closed for any sickness, the kids are healthy and 2 outstandings from OFSTED, show they like it too. So cheers to the poster who said she is surprised OFSTED allow it at all. Welcome to the world which has more in it than humans.

RustyBear Fri 22-Feb-13 08:44:54

This thread is six and a half years old, kingjam - I wonder if the OP is still (a) childminding and (b) on Mumsnet....

RosieGirl Fri 22-Feb-13 08:54:06

Ha ha didn't see that

Lala29 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:17:38

I would love a childminder with a dog and find it incredibly sad that so many people are anti dogs or childcare with dogs.
My daughter is 16 months, her first word was our dog's name. She adores the dog and any other dogs she meets, even though most are far bigger than her. I absolutely love that. She is being taught how to be and interact with dogs, we always ask permission from owners to stroke, she is not under any circumstances allowed to bother the dog in her bed, etc. our dog is an old Staffordshire bull terrier by the way.

Of course you don't know the dog when you first visit the childminder, but neither do you know them! As a dog person, it's very quickly obvious how the dog is trained and what the general rule is in the house. I might hang around a bit longer, or ask to go for a walk with them and the dog to ensure that what they are saying is true, but that's not much more than I would do with any childminder.

It's precisely because children today grow up in sterile environments with no interaction with animals, parents afraid of a bit of dirt, that we have so many children with allergies. My house is cleaned thoroughly. Dog bedding regularly cleaned, rugs steam cleaned once a week and floors washed regularly and I have certainly seen CM with dirtier houses than mine.

Don't give up, OP, be proud of the fact you have a dog and make it your unique selling point!

DIYapprentice Sat 23-Feb-13 21:03:04

A zombie thread that managed to get revived TWICE!!! grin

SouthernPolish Sat 23-Feb-13 21:07:50

I am a CM with a dog and we keep her in our home like a normal family pet (I know of CMs who crate theirs all day). I have stairgates to separate her from kids when I need to, my home is clean and does not stink (I ask everyone constantly), I use a steam cleaner and keep the garden poop free and power washed.

But I accept that some people do not like or hate dogs, and that it does slightly narrow down my target market.

It is usually one of the first things I tell prospective parents and I have a big photo of all of us with dog on my website - deliberately to deter dog-haters from bothering to phone me.

So far I have had no problem finding Mindees and lovely Parents who either have dogs themselves, or grew up with dogs, or love dogs and don't have any themselves.

Maybe put up some cards/leaflets in dog friendly places? eg: pet shop notice board (worked for me!)

momb Sat 23-Feb-13 21:13:14

My CM has a dog and it doesn't bother me. If you have a dog you need to accept that some poeple won't like it but for others it won't be an issue. It shoudl not affect your busioness overall; we all choose CMs with different criteria in mind.

Borntobeamum Sun 24-Feb-13 16:35:43

Cm with Dog = no thanks.
I think you'll find that kiddies who are mauled by dogs are usually at their relatives house. Grannies dog who has always been really placid suddenly snaps back.
They are unpredictable and too much of a risk.
JMI.

Tau Sun 24-Feb-13 16:44:30

If my child was still young enough to go to a minder, I wouldn't choose one with a dog either. But I know a local childminder who has a dog and minds quite a few children - every parent makes their own choice.
I've worked as a childminder, and I once had a potential client who was horrified by our stick insects. Such things happen; there may also be parents who love the idea of their child being able to interact with a kind dog.

UniS Tue 26-Feb-13 22:55:31

I chose not to use a CM who has 2 large dogs that my child is scared of when they are walked in the street. I do use a CM who owns one small dog. My child has not been scared of that dog BUT that dog is not loose in the house and the only contact mindees have with it is in the school hols when CM & mindees might go out to walk the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now