This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would a nanny walk my dog???

(20 Posts)
Doraemon Tue 26-Aug-14 20:40:36

Not sure whether to post here or in pets... We are thinking about getting a dog, and at the moment either DH or I are at home everyday so walking etc would be no problem. However, I am starting a part-time teacher training course and in 2 years time could potentially be working full time. By this points DCs will be 11, 9 and 3, and we would probably have to get a nanny 3 or 4 days a week (DS1 has ASD and need to be able to come back to his own home after school).
Would I be likely to find a nanny who would be willing to walk a dog for an hour or so during the 3 hours that youngest DC would be in nursery school?

NannyR Tue 26-Aug-14 20:50:17

Personally, I would love to do this, if the dog was well behaved and well trained, but I know nannies for who this would be a big no no. I think you just need to make it clear when you advertise and interview.

nannynoss Tue 26-Aug-14 21:22:51

I have walked and bathed dogs in previous dogs and quite enjoyed the excuse to spend an hour wandering around with the dog smile
I would not want to train the dog though. I don't know anything about training dogs and with three other children, I will find that too much I think. I'm sure some nannies know more about dogs though than I do.

Slightly different in that I'm a childminder but I pop to my neighbours (who's child I care for) and take the dog for little walks with us sometimes. We all love it.

eurycantha Tue 26-Aug-14 21:52:56

I walk the dogs at work .

We don't have a dog but lots of our friends do - all their nannies or au-pairs walk their dogs.

I think it's like anything else. You want a dog-walking nanny, advertise for one. An Italian speaker? Someone who can drive? Ditto.

cathpip Tue 26-Aug-14 21:55:54

I walk and train the dogs, love being able to go for a wander for an hour or so.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 26-Aug-14 22:18:58

Some will. Some won't. I didn't in last job but I did have 3 under 6 and country lanes so would never walk if had youngest but when she was at pre school I didn't mind

What happens in holiday /when she has all 3?

Worst thing about having a dog is the poo

Really annoyed me gettin to work and lots of poo on grass which db was meant to clear up but didn't and so I had to so kids could play in it

Esp on a Monday when lots of weekend poo was left

Nice to have separate pooing area for dog in garden - easily done if trained as a puppy

I have puppy trained but was annoying as harder then pt a child smile

Lucylouby Tue 26-Aug-14 22:23:27

I don't like dogs, so wouldn't apply for your job. I have no idea how to ride a horse, so wouldn't apply for a job where there were horses. I do love cats, so would be quite happy to feed/brush/fuss a cat in your home.
Same as anything in a nanny job, advertise what you are looking for and select someone who fits your criteria.

LikeTheShoes Wed 27-Aug-14 15:51:10

as long as you don't try to use the nanny as a dog trainer I think it's fine.
also if the children are home (eg I'll or holidays) will they walk it to? I know getting mine to walk the dog is almost impossible!

I am a nanny and I walk the dog, it was part of the advertised job.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Wed 27-Aug-14 16:00:35

Id be happy to walk the dog but I have a dog of my own so not a problem for me.

My last family had cats and I used to feed, worm, do vet trips etc as long as its made clear from the begining and not sprung on the nanny on her first day of work it will be fine.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Wed 27-Aug-14 16:14:53

Not sure whether to post here or in pets...

If you want the nanny to walk the dog then 'nannies' is the right section to ask in grin

Like most people have said, lots of nannies would love to do this, some wouldn't - so make sure it's in your advert when the time comes.

As you are looking at getting the dog now, but not getting a nanny for a couple of years, you have plenty of time to train the dog.

As blondes said, it's good to have a specific place in the garden, away from the main playing area, for the dog to poo and I would add, teaching the dog to 'poo on demand' then you can let it out for a poo before you go out and then it's much nicer for everyone walking the dog not to be picking up poo whilst out walking. That and doing all the poo picking up in the garden and not leaving it to fester and expecting the nanny to do it smile

What sort of dog are you thinking of getting? I saw an absolutely beautiful Newfoundland/Poodle cross yesterday, it was love at first sight. She was enormous mind. A cocker spaniel poodle mix is a better size for most homes grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Aug-14 16:52:04

indeed you can make a dog poo on demand by saying a certain command/phase each time they poo as a puppy and they associate pooing with it

but chose your word/command wisely

true story below

friend took her dog to see a friend and was on her white carpet and her daughter came in , think about 5/6yrs and was going to take for a walk and while putting on a lead, the dog was keeping still and she said the command and dog pooed on cream carpet shock

command was 'good girl'

pmsl

LatteLoverLovesLattes Wed 27-Aug-14 16:55:55

Fucking hell - how dense are some people??????????? 'Good girl' ????????

Christ, the dog would be pooing all day if it lived here grin

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Aug-14 17:09:50

i know grin

guess poo time or do a poo would be better wink

eurycantha Wed 27-Aug-14 20:25:57

You did have a donkey dog in that job Blondes!!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 27-Aug-14 20:33:57

He was a tad big bless him and acquired food and what goes in must go out grin

jkdnanny Wed 27-Aug-14 21:16:48

I wouldn't have an issue with it, especially if it was mentioned as part of job in interview. The only jobs where I was slightly put off because of dogs was where I was restricted where I could go because I couldn't leave the dogs alone at home for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Crowen85 Wed 27-Aug-14 23:07:46

I'm a nanny and it's a personal preference. I would defo walk a dog! But then some Nannys will not.

Doraemon Thu 28-Aug-14 15:09:29

If only I could train the toddler to poo on demand......

Thanks for all the replies, reassuring to know some people would be happy to do it. Holidays would not be a problem as I would only be working term time.

Next dilemma is whether to get dog now or let the elderly cat live out its life in peace, but I guess that one really is for the Pets board :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now