This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny asking me to book activities

(56 Posts)
GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 15:35:45

Hi, I have limited experience with Nannies and would really appreciate opinions. I employ a Nanny 2 days per week for my 3 year old DS. He attends Pre-school on both days in the pm for 2.5 hours and she drops and picks up and either has late lunch or ses the gym nearby.

We pay for both lunch and gym. We have no other children. In Sept he will switch to mornings because it is his Pre school year so she will still be paid for 2 whole days but her day won't start until 12.30pm. I will drop him at Pre School both mornings because its en route to my place of work and i like to keep in touch with the Pre-school.

Soooo issue is that Nanny has said she would like me to book activities for him for the afternoon!! I have switched his swimming lesson to One of the days but she has nw asked if i can book another activity for the other afternoon. If i can't she has asked if he can revert back to afternoons as she prefers the way he days run currently.

We pay £10 per hour in the South West.

Is it a normal for the parent to havevto book classes or should she just sort something? We leave a "kitty" of £10 per day currently too.
Thx

littleducks Wed 25-Jun-14 15:38:22

Sounds nuts to me!

puddingisgood Wed 25-Jun-14 15:38:25

I think she is being a bit cheeky tbh. Many children are tired after a morning at pre-school. Sounds like she wants an easy life and is definitely thinking more about herself than your son.

LemonBreeland Wed 25-Jun-14 15:40:01

From what you say it sounds like she wants him in an activity so she doesn't actually have to look after him.

I would be loathe to book him into something else. She has the kitty if she wants to take him places.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 25-Jun-14 15:44:13

Er - why are you paying a Nanny �10 per hour, then paying again for child to go to activities? She's having a laugh isn't she?

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 15:45:10

Thank you for the replies. She currently takes him to group type things in the mornings and then Pre-school in the afternoon. She has said there is less group type stuff running in the afternoon hence can I book him activities. I've already moved his swimming lesson to one of the afternoons in September. I will just suggest she makes it a cooking afternoon or one of the other thousand things i do with him at home.

minipie Wed 25-Jun-14 15:45:42

shock that is jolly cheeky. She ought to be able to entertain him for 2 afternoons a week (1 if you say there is now swimming on the other day) without needing a booked activity. What about play dates with other children, visits to the park, craft activities at home, or just plain hanging out.

And if you are providing �10 per day kitty (very generous IMO, unless it is expected to cover groceries etc as well) then she certainly should be able to find things to do.

Oh and you pay for her gym??? Never heard of this!

Honestly it sounds like she already has a very cushy deal and is looking to see if she can push it even further.

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 15:46:39

Do you think that I should ask "why do you want activities booked". It is just one afternoon!

Abra1d Wed 25-Jun-14 15:49:19

I think you should ask that question, definitely.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 25-Jun-14 15:52:09

Yes, me too.

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 15:52:23

Yes, now I read your replies I sound like a mug. The kitty is there for coffees/class fees etc. I pay for swimming directly to the tutor.
I am in that awkward stage of still needing a a nanny to fit around Pre-school hours so I guess it is a good gig (1 child, 2 x 3 hours off) gym membership etc.
I'm just going to say no to the idea of booked classes and ask her to do me a list of things she can do in rotation with him at home/with friends

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Wed 25-Jun-14 15:52:40

But I wouldn't ask. I would tell her she is expected to earn her money by actually looking after him.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 25-Jun-14 16:10:27

If he will be at pre school in the mornings then a bit of unstructured play at home or in the local park or even the opportunity for a nap will be good for him.

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 16:18:01

Agreed Picturesinthefirelight
I have just left her a message to call me. Just spoke to DH about it and he thinks its her being a bit cheeky/lazy as because of DS's age he would not have to be super-chaperoned at a class so it presents a chance for coffee and iPhone time!
Not one person has posted to say they arrange things for their Nanny to do!

Ninetysixpercent Wed 25-Jun-14 16:20:40

Tell her to take him to the park or just play at home. She sounds lazy and lacking in imagination. And why on earth do you pay her gym membership?

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 16:25:31

We live a some distance from the Pre-school Ninetysixpercent and so we offered to add her to our membership to give her something to do in the time he is in his Pre-School session as if she dropped and returned home she would have a very short time before leaving for pick up. It is actually more economical to give her gym membership than pay the mileage for there and back x 2

minipie Wed 25-Jun-14 16:28:10

Not one person has posted to say they arrange things for their Nanny to do!

I do arrange some activities for my nanny to do with DD (19 months). However, I only book 2 activities (swimming and a music class) and our nanny has DD all day, 4 days a week. The rest of the time our nanny arranges other activities - usually free ones!

Monopolice Wed 25-Jun-14 17:12:43

I wouldn't book anything for the one afternoon she'll be looking after him - but perhaps you could sweeten the deal, as it were, but telling her you'll look into activities for the holidays? Or add her to your NT membership (or local variant) so that there is somewhere she can take him if she wants?

Does she need micromanaging in any other way? What does she usually do when pre-school is closed?

Monopolice Wed 25-Jun-14 17:13:35

I'd also explain that you'd expect her to arrange playdates with his friends occasionally - again with the micromanaging though hmm

Andcake Wed 25-Jun-14 17:16:06

At activities I do with DS their are often Nannys there with their charges. However these tend to be nannys who do the full week - full days so understandable. or if the mum is working and a mum usually attends. But for two afternoons she should be able to keep him entertained.

AgaPanthers Wed 25-Jun-14 17:23:14

So I'm a bit confused, do you pay her to go to the gym? grin Or is she off the clock when she is doing that.

SomeSunnySunday Wed 25-Jun-14 17:35:32

My nanny constantly asked us to organise classes. I took a hard line! We were, in my view, already paying a nanny and therefore I expected her to be creative and come up with (free or cheap) ways to entertain the DCs outside of nursery hours (playdates, crafts, park trips e.g.). They did do some classes, but only the ones I specifically chose for them. Part of the reason for us opting to have a nanny was so that the DCs had time in their own home, and didn't always feel that they were being rushed from one place to the next.

NannyLouise29 Wed 25-Jun-14 17:36:21

Full time nanny of a preschooler here. My charge goes to preschool five mornings a week, I don't start until 12pm when I pick him up. I am however on call from 8am in case he is ill or has holidays.

His mum has asked me to find him classes to do in the afternoons, but before his older siblings come home from school - this has proved tricky as there are generally fewer classes in the afternoon, and they need to be at a specific time. Currently we do one class on one of the days. I entertain him the other four days.

I can't believe your nanny doesn't want the opportunity to have one on one time with him on that one afternoon a week. There is so much stuff you can do! I would question her overall enthusiasm and motivation as a nanny to be honest, sounds like she's after an easy time.

Heels99 Wed 25-Jun-14 17:46:56

Why do you need nanny in mornings if you are taking him to pre school and then he is there all morning?

GogoGobo Wed 25-Jun-14 17:51:01

monopolice yes, good idea re school holidays. We have got a membership planned to a massive wildlife park which is not cheap but i was going to start that at the beginning of the hols
She doesn't need micromanaging really, she has used a good degree of common sense. This will be the first hols with her caring for DS when there is no Pre-school as Easter she was away 1week and then we were and Whitsun she was on hols too so Granny came to stay. I think NannyLouise may have hit the nail on the head and it may be a motivation thing, which is worrying as I think she as a great gig with us. She as a tougher assignment for the rest of the week but even so.....
AgaPanthers yes, guilty as charged!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now