This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Live-out nanny for almost 12 month old twins and nearly 3 year old

(12 Posts)
Lizzy1975 Fri 13-Jun-14 14:25:25

Hi all - this is somewhat premature as my twins aren't due until August! But I would really like to think that I will be able to return to work 4 days a week in a years time. This is all new to me - what can I expect to pay a live-out nanny to look after twins and a toddler (who would be starting pre school)? Is a nanny the best option? Where can I get the information I need? I have looked on my local family space website, but the information is patchy at best. My son has been with a wonderful childminder for the past year, but putting all three there is not an option financially. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks, Liz

m0therofdragons Fri 13-Jun-14 14:29:42

I know a live out Nanny in the south west who charges 7.50 per hour. No clue about ni contributions though, sorry.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 13-Jun-14 14:45:50

Where are you? In London a nanny is around �11-13ph. A very experienced nanny may be slightly more, a newly qualified nanny may be less. It will be cheaper in other parts of the country.

Lizzy1975 Fri 13-Jun-14 15:24:23

Thank you both. I'm in SE London, so that's really helpful Outraged.

nannynick Fri 13-Jun-14 16:30:27

12 gross per hour maybe more.

There are cost calculation examples on here (search my username) plus on www.nannynick.com
The hourly rate is just the starting point in your calculation for cost, you will have activity budget, payroll, employers NI, and other things to add in.
With 3 children a nanny wilk be lower cost than other types of childcare as nannies are not paid per child.

nannynicnic Fri 13-Jun-14 20:51:37

That is exactly what I do now. I have 11 month old twins and their 3 year old sister - (though only one day a week as she has always been in nursery for 2 full days a week.) and I only work 3 days per week and grandparents have the children the other day mum is at work. I earn around 10 gross per hour but I work in Bedfordshire not London!

Friedbrain Fri 13-Jun-14 22:09:53

Se London is on average £10 net.. so about £11-£12 gross

schlafenfreude Fri 13-Jun-14 23:21:25

Have a scout on nannyjob.co.uk to see what twins + siblings jobs are going for in London. Be aware that they might be quoting net rate so you'd need to gross that up - mranchovy.com/calc will do that for you - plus there are the extra costs nick mentioned.

If you don't mind a less experienced nanny you could probably pay less initially but to retain them you'll need a pay rise certainly after a year, ideally a small one after 6m.

katcallow1977 Sat 14-Jun-14 20:51:29

I am a qualified very experienced nanny and I charge 8 to 10 pounds an hour. I think the benefits are better having a nanny if you have more than one .as a childminder is per child an hour. a nanny is great as your children feel secure in there own surroundings and there transition I think is nice for them. you just have to sit down and go through whether you can afford a nanny. Or do you want to go the childminder route. or something else. Either way good luck xxx

alittlehouselessmatch Tue 17-Jun-14 14:22:07

I have a liveout nanny, SW London for 4 days a week and pay �11.50 gross plus annual bonus of circa 5%. Don't forget to think off the additional costs. They do add up!

Friedbrain Sun 06-Jul-14 00:20:09

About £13 gross in SE London.

2plus1 Sun 06-Jul-14 20:39:43

We had a nanny for our three and it worked out much cheaper than a child-minder. Also didn't have to get the trio up, washed, dressed breakfasted and changing bag packed ready to drop off at a child-minder. If one was unwell then I would need a day off work with a child-minder, whereas minor things such as monitoring high temps our nanny could deal with. However, transportation posed an issue with one nanny whose car was not big enough for all car seats and a second nanny who refused our children in her BMW. Def consider if you will need to provide your car and the added cost, inconvenience etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now