Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Anyone registered as a sitter with Sitters.co.uk

(12 Posts)
grumpalumpgrumped Sun 08-Jun-14 21:05:57

Thinking of starting to work with them. I am a nursery manager but reluctant to babysit for the parents at the nursery as it blurs lines a bit.

What happens about Tax etc, I assume you sort it yourself as it says you are paid direct?

anything else i should know?

lovelynannytobe Mon 09-Jun-14 13:51:43

I work through them. I'm paid in cash and declare it as additional income and pay tax. It's good way to earn a bit of cash whenever you need it. There are quieter parts of the year and very busy ones too. Period around Christmas is very busy and I babysat virtually every day of the week. On average it's twice a week busiest days being Friday and Saturday. I will not travel further than 4 miles ...

AMI88 Tue 10-Jun-14 21:02:23

I was but I am no longer...I found them very demanding!!

I work 50+ hours a week! but wanted to be able to earn a little extra cash here and there, so I signed on, on the understanding that I could do babysitting at the weekend, if and when I needed it.

In the two months I was on their site, I accepted three babysitting jobs, close by, at the weekends, and some I turned down because I was either tired, or it was too far away, they then deactivated my account and said that I wasn't a regular sitter, and so they don't want to use me. I was furious, several emails later and it became clear that they expect you to do at least three jobs a week, for me,who was full time, that was just not going to happen.

Im under the impression, some who work for sitters, do that and nothing else. I wouldn't reccomend them if you work in the week!

AMI88 Tue 10-Jun-14 21:12:26

...must add, if you are a parent looking to use babysitting service, sitters are great, it's a lengthy interview process, all babysitters are qualified and checked out, so in that respect they are great- I just can't commit to as much babysitting as they expected!x

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 11-Jun-14 11:03:29

I disagree that they check all babysitters. My friend works for them and didn't meet anyone she spoke to someone on the phone

To me that is very slack. Any one can pretend to be someone and no photo proof was asked for - she emailed cv and refs and tbh no one knows that what she is hers iyswim

AMI88 Wed 11-Jun-14 12:07:02

Oh gosh blondes- that is disgusting!! When did that happen?? Maybe they have stepped up their interview process since then,because I felt mine was very lengthy! I had to take all my certificates, references, and was asked questions for around 30mins!

Quangle Wed 11-Jun-14 12:20:59

yikes that's terrible.

I use Sitters and find them very good but I must say I assumed all their checking was top-notch. shock

grumpalumpgrumped Wed 11-Jun-14 14:03:05

Thanks for all the feedback. I get the impression the interview will be in person.

I work 3 days a week, so wanted something to top up that fits around my DC. Would likely do 2 a week.

lovelynannytobe Wed 11-Jun-14 15:44:15

My interview to join sitters was in person and they followed up ALL my references and took copies of ALL my certificates. Much more thorough process than some nanny agencies I've signed up with.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 11-Jun-14 18:04:04

last year, obv she is a nanny but no one actually checked she was who she said she was iyswim

maybe she slipped through the net so to speak, tbh she was surprised that no one wanted to meet her

im not with sitters as they pay crap money but totally understand why someone would work for them and earn £18/24 watching a familys tv rather then being at home watching their own tv,as work is always out there

but do they check photo id?

lovelynannytobe Wed 11-Jun-14 18:08:44

They checked mine ... driver's licence and passport. Even asked to see the counterpart ...
Your friend's checker must have been crap. I would have reported her/him to their head office.
The one that checked me was another sitter who has been sitting for them for years and signing up new sitters was just another thing she did for them.

AMI88 Wed 11-Jun-14 19:31:11

Yes same for me as lovelynanny!

I think blondes friends' bad experience must have been a one off. Completely agree with your point about low wage- I charge between £8-10 when I babysit privately, I think I was only paid £6.30 when I was with sitters. It wasn't at all worth the hassle for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now