Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Baby nannies

(9 Posts)
DearGirl Sun 08-Jun-14 18:17:27

Just wondering if anyone caring for a 6 month old can give me an idea as to routine and meal times for their charge.

Am working with a 6 month old who we've started weaning, and while we have a good day time routine baby seems to struggle with sleeping through at night, so just wanted to check what other babies are upto

smile

spekulatius Sun 08-Jun-14 18:31:04

Sleeping through the night? At 6 months?????

BobTheFly Sun 08-Jun-14 18:33:24

Why is that so strange spek? Mine all did, dd went off the rails at 9mths but all we're sleeping though at 6 m.

DearGirl Sun 08-Jun-14 18:54:50

Most of the babies I have nannied for before have slept through from 4.5 months.

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 08-Jun-14 19:18:59

All the babies I've nannied for have slept through by 6 months as well. They all go through bad patches etc., but generally, most nights sleeping through. It's really not that unusual!

My youngest charge is a but older now, but at 6 months routine was;

7am wake up, bottle and breakfast.
9am nap for 30-45 mins
11/11:30am lunch, food no bottle
12pm-2pm sleep
2:30pmish bottle, although this was variable depending on what was going on. Sometimes it would be a rice cake on the way to school and then bottle after we got back about 4pm.
5pm supper, food no milk.
6:30pm last bottle
7pm in bed.

I would say he slept through 95% of the time, and if he did wake it was just water/settling. No milk.

CPtart Sun 08-Jun-14 19:20:02

Both mine slept through by 4 and 5 months respectively.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 08-Jun-14 21:54:55

Ditto the babies I have if had from 3/4 weeks old if doing nights

All have slept 7-7 by 4mths - one from 6 weeks did 11-7am -

Good routine and set sleeps and feeding during day makes a baby sleep at night

Lucylouby Sun 08-Jun-14 22:08:51

Ime, babies are either sleepers or not. I didn't do anything differently with my own three children and had a routine for them all. first slept brilliantly from about two weeks, second, was a dreadful sleeper, didn't realisable sleep through till about 2 years old. He had a routine, but just woke during the night anyway, routines don't work for every child. My third, was sleeping through, but only reliably from about 1 year. The children I've nannied and cm for, they are all different and even though they probably all have had a very similar routine, some babies, like some adults, just can't sleep through the night. It's just that adults can sort them selves out if they wake and need something, babies need an adult to come and help them.

Victoria2002 Sun 08-Jun-14 23:14:03

I agree with outragedfromleeds, her routine is pretty typical and I think is the same as GF, most babies that age have 1 or 2 short naps and one big nap (normally after lunch), their milk routine should be mostly the same as before weaning and food should be offered only in small amounts. My son (weirdly) would wake twice a night unless he had a 10min nap around 5pm (would wake only once if I could get him to nap) had to walk him round the block etc to "force" the nap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now