This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

All children at school- nanny options

(7 Posts)
Nanny25 Sat 07-Jun-14 14:28:22

Just wondering what other nannies have done once all children in their care start school?
Been made redundant? Reduced hours? Taken on cleaning duties?etc
I am currently working with my employer to see what options we can come up with.
Any options/advice would be great.
Thanks

Hjserenade Sat 07-Jun-14 14:42:33

My youngest started school last sept so we reduced her hours from 40 over 4 days to 30 over 3 . I need her for at least two days as I do at least a 12 hr day on those days. I worked out that she has 15 hours child free so she agreed to do all family laundry ironing cleaning gardening and errands. We use a school club on the other day I work .
It is still costly but the nature of my work is that I really need reliable childcare. Also my eldest has mild autism. Hopefully I am expecting number 3 so her hours could go back up again! She got a job in the care sector to make up the hours.

nannynick Sat 07-Jun-14 14:55:07

I don't know but will be having the issue in around a years time.
One thing that may happen is doing more days... as currently I do 4 days not 5. One thing that may happen is that I do different hours, I already start some days at lunchtime.

It is very hard to know and I am sure the parents are wondering the same thing... could they use after-school clubs, could they use a childminder. However with 3 children, at 2 different schools maybe 3 different schools (as you really can't guarantee which school a child will attend these days), unless the parents can re-jig their working hours so one of them is able to pick up from school, they will still need childcare for a few years to come.

Drop in hours and spread those hours over more days sounds a possible solution though it would need to be sufficient for me to still be able to pay my living costs. So there will come a point where it is not viable for me to take the new role.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 07-Jun-14 15:30:56

Most commonly (based on the nannies I know)the nanny is made redundant.

Second most common is the family starting a share with a younger child to fill at least some of the school hours. If you can find a teacher or similar, that can work really well because they don't need care in the holidays when the original family need full-time care.

Third, the family are sufficiently wealthy/want to keep the nanny enough that everything continues as normal and the nanny just has a really easy job! I know one nanny in this situation who goes to college a couple of days a week with her employers consent (she just has to be on call for the children). I know another nanny who was asked to include one free babysit per week in return for the childfree hours during the week.

I don't know any nannies who have increased their housework role in place of childcare and have been happy enough to stay more than a few months.

Lucylouby Sat 07-Jun-14 19:01:59

I was in this situation a few years ago as a nanny. The family kept my pay the same, but reduced my hours. They still needed me during the holidays, I was on call for sickness, going to concerts/assembleys at school as needed, snow days, strike days, teacher training days etc, so paid me full time to cover these hours. It worked for them and their three children.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 07-Jun-14 22:59:36

Been made redundant twice in this situation and had a nice redundancy payout smile

One job offered me cleaning/hk role but that's not what I want to do so turned down their offer and took redundancy

Some nannies happy to do hk role - I am
Not

I also wouldn't cut down my hours and extend my days as I work 3 days a week and then if want to temp/do emergency work on the other two so wouldn't be financially viable for me

Odd family keeps nanny on full pay as they know they need cover for holiday sickness etc

Some take nwoc for less hourly rate and they can do kiddy things with their child daytime but be on call if need be and do drop off and pick up and full time in holidays

Nanny25 Wed 11-Jun-14 19:56:59

Thanks for the replies, few options to think about and discuss.
Fingers x we can come up with something that suits us both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now