Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How easy is it to find an after school nanny?

(8 Posts)
UnMasterChef Fri 06-Jun-14 22:53:29

DD is going into Y1 next year, she currently goes to an after school club 4 days a week, but she's getting bored and I'm worried about her being so tired. I think her reading has probably suffered because we don't get to do it until after 6pm, when she can be very tired. I was thinking about finding an after school nanny to bring her home, help with homework, give her tea and support the occasional play date. I would need someone who could drive as we live quite rurally. How easy is it to find someone who would work 3pm-6pm 4 or 5 days a week. Rates in the local town are about £8ph gross, so I guess I would look around that level. I'm not keen on the au pair route as I don't really want someone living in the house. Any advice on how to find someone like this or any other good alternatives?

nannynick Sat 07-Jun-14 12:41:22

Impossible to say how easy it is to find someone... it depends on where you live, what people in that area are wanting to work, salary, all sorts of things.

Advertise and see who you get applying.

> I would need someone who could drive as we live quite rurally.

Take into account the costs of someone providing their own car. Offer to pay the max mileage allowance, so the nanny is more prepared to use their own car and maintain it to a good standard, have suitable insurance etc.
Max amount is currently 45p per mile.

>How easy is it to find someone who would work 3pm-6pm 4 or 5 days a week.
It is not many hours and being in a rural location the number of people who may be wanting such work may be very limited. Consider someone who has their own young child perhaps, consider someone who lives close to you.

>Rates in the local town are about £8ph gross, so I guess I would look around that level.

As the hours are low, I would offer more. You need to make the job attractive. Increase the hours a bit... if school finishes at 3pm, then nanny needs to start earlier to be at the school on time. Bumping the time a bit can make the job 16hours+ which may then appeal to someone who needs to work 16 hours or more to be able to claim Working Tax Credit.

If they have another income, or if you pay £111 or more per week, then you will need to register as an employer. See HMRC: Employers. Depending on the situation, you may not need to deduct employee income tax, ni, or pay employers NI, as the salary will be low.
Accounting software like BrightPay can produce payslips and submit pay info to HMRC, or you could write them manually and submit info via HMRC Online.

UnMasterChef Sun 08-Jun-14 22:04:51

Thanks, we had a full time nanny when DD was little, so I'm happy with payroll and expenses. That's a really good point about the 16 hours, I'm happy to sort it so we meet that level.

Victoria2002 Sun 08-Jun-14 23:17:14

Yes can you offer regular babysitting or cleaning/dog walking/errands? My only other thought, Nick said it, was an NWOC

Shurizia Mon 09-Jun-14 12:21:13

Sounds like you would be a great employer - someone who, as an after-school nanny myself, I would like to work for!

UnMasterChef Tue 10-Jun-14 19:30:18

Don't suppose you live out in the Fens? Unfortunately no dog to walk. Could offer cleaning or ironing? Can the hours be averaged over a period of time? There could well be more hours in the holidays

JaneParker Tue 10-Jun-14 19:37:57

We advertised and got 60 applicants (for 3 - 6pm)! Loads of peopleare out of work or are older people just wanting to work part time etc. However I imagine it is harder in rural areas. The lady we used has her own car and also did Sunday mornings for us too. She did the school holidays as well. It worked out very well.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 10-Jun-14 20:32:52

Jane where did you advertise for your afterschool nanny?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now