This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Birthday present ideas for nanny

(6 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 05-Jun-14 20:57:56

It's our nanny's birthday next week. She's worked for us 2 days a week for 6 months and she is brilliant. She'll be 24. I want to buy her something nice from us and the girls (and they'll probably make her a card and a cake) she's working on her birthday so I'd like her to have a nice day if possible (although she's on a/l on Monday to go away with friends so her choice to work the birthday day)

I was planning to spend around £30. I know I could just give cash but that seems rather thoughtless. We gave her a £25 hobbycraft voucher for Christmas which she loved (she's really into arty stuff and making things, not just when at work). Apart from working as a nanny I know she likes walking and picnics in the peak district, going out partying, photography (she did a year of a photography degree). She's pretty stylish and slim and i'd be terrified to buy clothes or clothes vouchers in case I got it wrong but did wonder about a generic voucher for the local shopping centre or a debenham's voucher (the only local department store). Otherwise I'd thought about a bottle of bubby and some chocolates and/or nice bath stuff but not sure if that's a bit grannyish (I'd love it but I'm 10yr+ older)

any other ideas? I feel really old and out of touch with younger people.

NannyWaines13 Thu 05-Jun-14 21:03:02

For my birthday I got a homemade card & cake from children & a birthday teddy they those themselves. Then from the parents I got a card some Soap & Glory smellies & a bottle of my favourite wine. They had got the oldest one to find out my favourite.

I also chose to work my birthday & I took the girls to our local zoo for the day as my parents had bought me annual membership for my birthday.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 05-Jun-14 21:03:15

Is there anywhere that runs classes or experiences in something arty / different? Near me there is a Glass Centre and they do a glassblowing worshop, which might appeal.

I am north east but you may have something similar where you are.

NannyWaines13 Thu 05-Jun-14 21:16:24

Should have said I was 24 as well. And just spotted a typo those should say chose themselves!

PixieofCatan Thu 05-Jun-14 22:05:57

I was 25 a few weeks ago and my boss got me a bottle of bubbly and some other bits, I loved it!

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 13-Jun-14 22:15:25

I got her a bottle of pink pinot grigio, some Joseph-Joseph spoons (she loves Joseph Joseph cookware) and a sort of not really birthday gift of a years National Trust membership (partly so she can take my kids to the summer NT activities for free and partly because I know she likes walking and photography and the NT places locally are full of those opportunities)

we baked and iced cupcakes for her birthday teaparty with the kids and decorated the kitchen with Happy Birthday banners. I hope she enjoyed herself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now