This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Do childminders charge for days they don't have the child....

(17 Posts)
ShoesBagsDresses Thu 05-Jun-14 11:28:25

Hello,

I'm currently looking for someone to look after my baby for two days a week for when I return to work. I met with a childminder yesterday who told me it'll be £x for the Monday and Tuesday that she would have it - that's fine, but she then went on to say that she would charge a further £20 a day for the days that she doesn't have it (i.e. wed-fri)... is this normal?
I have childcare covered for the rest of the week so only need two days and don't understand why I would pay her for not actually having my child?

Do all childminders charge for days they don't actually have the child? (I understand still paying if your child is sick or on holiday etc) but I have never heard of being charged for days the child won't be there!

mistlethrush Thu 05-Jun-14 11:31:18

None of the childminders I have seen did that - and neither did the nursery I used. She doesn't need you to reserve those days - she can get another child to fill them.

Pinotgrigioplease Thu 05-Jun-14 11:50:16

No, I only use one day a week so only pay for one day a week.

The only exception is the summer holidays when I dont send my son but I pay a retainer of half fees to keep his space for the next academic year.

I would not pay £60/week for a space I wasn't using.

Cindy34 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:52:14

Would not say that was normal unless you needed occasional care on the other days. Up to each childminder how they run their business. If what they propose won't work for you, then keep looking.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 05-Jun-14 11:53:02

No. It isnt usual. And would make me look elsewhere.

Thurlow Thu 05-Jun-14 11:58:23

No, that's not entirely normal but it might be because she knows she could have a full-time child Monday to Friday instead and so wants to charge you for that. But in that case, don't interview and accept a part time child...

leeloo1 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:58:39

No, I don't charge like that - you would pay me if your child were ill, on holiday or it was a Bank Holiday.

You could go back to her and say 'I really like you, but I've asked around and it doesn't seem to be usual to charge a retainer for days when I don't want him to attend'. - she may not change it, but she may just have received poor advice and think what she's saying is standard.

Moreisnnogedag Thu 05-Jun-14 12:02:16

No. I get charged if for some reason DS doesn't attend but not for the days he isn't in.

PhoebeMcPeePee Thu 05-Jun-14 12:52:46

No I don't charge for days of the week a child isn't contracted to attend but I do charge if for any reason a child doesn't come on contracted days so in your case you'd pay for Monday & Tuesday regardless of sickness or holiday but nothing for wed-Fri. I'd ask what are you getting for your money? Ie is it because she would rather have a full time child? In which case I'd keep looking for a childminder who is more flexible as frankly FT children are few & far between in my experience ie never had a ft enquiry in the 2 years I've been childminding!

BillnTedsMostFeministAdventure Thu 05-Jun-14 12:54:52

No, not usual.

littlegreengloworm Thu 05-Jun-14 12:56:09

No look elsewhere

Jinxxx Thu 05-Jun-14 13:52:29

Is it possible she has misunderstood and thinks you want care any two days a week, rather than always Monday and Tuesday? It would certainly be normal to pay if you wanted a place reserved on more days than you intended to use each week.

ShoesBagsDresses Thu 05-Jun-14 15:23:58

Thanks everyone, yes I'll keep looking. It's a shame as she was very nice but I can just about afford to pay her two days childcare, let alone paying for days it won't even be there!!!

Jinxxx no I was pretty clear it would only be two days I needed.

insancerre Fri 06-Jun-14 18:22:10

You could try ringing her and asking her to explain the terms again
You may have misinderstood

HSMMaCM Fri 06-Jun-14 19:03:53

Just check as it sounds more like a full time space being used part time, with a retainer for the other days. Is she new? And maybe doesn't understand. If she's experienced she should be able to explain.

mimishimmi Sun 08-Jun-14 02:09:07

It sounds like she could easily fill the space with a full-time child so she charges a retainer for the other days as she might not easily find another child who would come for only those three days. Whether it's normal or not would depend on demand I suppose.

AMI88 Sun 08-Jun-14 11:15:15

As a CM I wouldn't do this, if I needed to fill 5 days then I wouldn't offer a contract to anyone who only wanted a couple of days.

The only way I would charge for days you didn't do is if you were a shift worker and would need different days every week. Is this what you asked for?

I would definitely ask why she plans to charge, and take it from there. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now