Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Need someone for drop offs/ pick ups but they're all full- help!

(22 Posts)
MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 06:55:46

Just that really! I've looked on the council website and the childminders who do drop off/ pick ups from school are all full. I've registered with all these childcare websites but you have to pay a hefty subscription fee to even contact anyone. I really don't know what we are going to do! Went to see one who did have space but wasn't suitable.

Any clever ideas on how to find anyone? I hate the thought of scrabbling around desperately like this.

We don't know other parents in the area, although I'm hoping once we do that we might be able to set up a reciprocal arrangement with one.

BobTheFly Thu 05-Jun-14 06:57:04

Can you use the one with a space and go on waiting lists for others?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 05-Jun-14 06:57:28

Breakfast club / After School Club?

hanette Thu 05-Jun-14 06:58:56

Have you considered advertising on gumtree? Depends where you are. Tend to get huge volume of responses but the quality applications stood out. I've found some wonderful child are. They pick up and take to your home which is different (more expensive) than a childminder but worked for us. Good luck

Artandco Thu 05-Jun-14 07:21:02

Nanny
Au pair
Breakfast/ after school club

The first two options could give you childcare in school holidays also possibly. If you have a spare bedroom an au pair prob best.
But a live out nanny with own child could work. Someone who previously has been full time nanny but now looking to nanny just a few hours a day bringing own child with them. Usually cheaper also

MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 07:21:38

Thanks all, some helpful ideas. The school doesn't have any wraparound care at all, a real shame as that would be my preferred choice. The one that wasn't suitable realty wasn't suitable, even for a day...

MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 07:23:55

artandco we are odd I guess, we would hate someone living with us and an au pair would be an absolute no. Do nannies exist who would only want 2 part days work? I hadn't thought of a nanny. Got visions of being tied into big employer contracts and being responsible for NI, mat leave, sick leave etc

CJCreggsfanclub Thu 05-Jun-14 07:29:44

Local nurseries do after school clubs and pick up round here.

Artandco Thu 05-Jun-14 07:42:19

Like mentioned a nanny with own child might want to do just x2 days part time if that's what you need

You can get someone to sort tax etc for about £120 a year. If say nanny had own 1 year old any brought with you would prob pay slightly less than usual. Say £10 gross an hour ( but maybe less depending on where you are). Over a week it would be less than the tax threshold (£130 I think), so not much tax to be paid etc anyway. And only 2 part time days means only a few days max holiday a year anyway

And like mentioned they might be happy to do full days if child is of school sick/ staff development day/ holidays etc

MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 08:45:52

Thanks Art. Will look into nannies then. How's best to find one?

nannynick Thu 05-Jun-14 09:36:21

Have you contacted all the childminders who live near the school? Do not rely on the council website being updated.

To find a nanny you either go via an agency or advertise yourself. Both will cost, you need to be proactive and contact people on childcare listing sites, don't expect job seekers to pay to contact you.

MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 10:03:53

Thanks nannynick, I've contacted all the childminders I know of, have tried any others that they've then suggested, and someone at the school even asked the teachers if they knew anyone else. We live in quite a small locality so I don't think there's a huge number serving the area.

I shall have to bite the bullet and join a website I think. Could you recommend one? Some of the ones I've been looking at, the childcare providers haven't logged on for a couple of years. I don't want to waste £££ on a site that none of the hip and happening nannies check grin

Cindy34 Thu 05-Jun-14 11:48:57

Childcare.co.uk - do search first, as you say there may be people locally but they may not have logged in for a long time.

Wonder if this is more of a problem of the area in which you live. What do other parents in your village do for childcare?

Is there a town reasonably close? Are there any after school clubs which could offer a collection facility?

Village noticeboard, community newsletter? Maybe someone in the village would consider being your nanny?

nannynick Thu 05-Jun-14 15:46:44

Childc

nannynick Thu 05-Jun-14 15:49:00

Childcare.co.uk nannyjob.co.uk
Gumtree.com

Think local though, old style postcard ad in a village store can work. Think about where local jobs are advertised.

craftycrafter Thu 05-Jun-14 15:50:45

I was a "mother's help" for a bit - picked up a couple of kids from the local school and took them to THEIR house to care for them for 3 hours after school.... a glorified babysitter, homework hassler and cook really, but it gave me some income and really helped out someone who suddenly needed it...

make it known round and about that you are looking for someone..

MrsGrumpyPants Thu 05-Jun-14 19:49:04

Lovely, thanks everyone. Lots more avenues to try!

hanette Thu 05-Jun-14 23:28:32

Just to add, over the years I have needed all sorts of ad-hoc odd hours - 2 pick ups a week, 1, 3 pick ups, depending on life stage- have always found someone who it suits. Reliable studious serious students we're the best for us. All depends where you are I spose. Good luck

schlafenfreude Fri 06-Jun-14 21:38:38

Nannyjob the CVs get deleted regularly so you know they're within a month or max 3 months. I forget which but it saves the irritation of someone looking for a job anymore.

Annietheacrobat Fri 06-Jun-14 21:43:08

Childcare.co.uk

Carol77 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:06:25

Go o the nursery/school next week and look out for childminders or ask the nursery teachers to point out a few minders to you. At the school that I child mind I have my mini bus and customers come to me. Some minders dont go on the school or council lists as they just take customers from recommendation so you may find one this way. Our school has a list that it also gives out to parent that ask. x c

MrsGrumpyPants Sat 07-Jun-14 07:33:54

Thanks everyone. The school secretary was going to ask the teachers etc for me if they knew anyone too. I've had a few people try to contact me on childcare site, but they can't as I'm not a paid member (grrr) so I guess I'll have to pay.

We live in a slightly isolated area which is the main problem, and the school is tiny, and my working days are midweek so the most popular.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now