Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

self-employed nanny

(8 Posts)
barewith Fri 30-May-14 20:45:56

Is it really possible to a self-employed nanny?? As I have recently seen post requiring such. I have always been led to believe that this was not possible...with the exception of maternity nurses.

McPhee Fri 30-May-14 20:51:48

I'm pretty sure a nanny can't be self employed. At least during my nearly 20 years as one, that's what I was led to believe.

nannynick Fri 30-May-14 21:00:49

It is rare. It would be for very ad-hoc work, no commitment, having several clients.

Avoid jobs which look as though they are wanting a permanent nanny, fixed hours, fixed days, regular days of the week on a repeating basis, anything that looks like it should be employment. Also think about what the fee would be to provide the service - someone self employed will charge more than an employees salary, as they have additional costs such as accounting and need to make their own provision for paid time off.

barewith Sat 31-May-14 10:46:28

Thanks ...that just confirmed what I thought.
It really makes me cross to see these types of things advertised...as it just undervalues the role of a nanny, as some people just still see it as someone just looking after kids for a while.
I must admit that if I see these types of job advertised, especially on Gumtree ...I do report them

Realitybitesyourbum Tue 10-Jun-14 08:58:12

I have been in contact with a nanny as I want cover for just 1 month in September. She has said she is self employed even though I know she is working for another family a few days a week. How can this be then?

fledermaus Tue 10-Jun-14 10:09:47

She might have registered as self-employed, but if HMRC audit her then her employers are going to be in trouble. Or she might just be saying she's self-employed and working cash in hand.

Either way, it will be the employers that get fined.

Soggysandpit Tue 10-Jun-14 12:06:52

Cover for just one month is slightly different - essentially she would contract her services to you for a month, no commitment on either side over and above that month -if she's doing the same sort of ad hoc with other families then I think she could be genuinely self employer.

You can be both - I am employed for my main job and also self employed for the freelance work that I do.

What you can't do is hire a regular nanny for the same hours each week, long term, and call them self employed.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 10-Jun-14 13:05:17

I am a se nanny but that's coz I do night work and also temp emergancy work so a day here and there or a week here and there but I also say if I can't do certain days

It's possible to be employed and se smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now