Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Parents who use CMs. Is it really hard to understand?

(77 Posts)
BarbieCan Fri 09-May-14 23:56:30

That you are paying for a time slot as well as childcare.

That your CM is not being grabby if she charges you in full when you decide that on a particular day you don't need all the hours you agreed in the contract.

That your CM is not being mean when she charges you when your child is unwell.

That your CM is not being jealous when she charges you when you go on holidays but she is still available to work.

That your CM is not being unreasonable when she charges you when you are late.

How can this be explained better so you can understand your CM point of view?

Anywhichway Fri 09-May-14 23:57:48

Written contract?

BackforGood Sat 10-May-14 00:03:35

There's something that is difficult about handing over cash for something you've not had - bit like paying the bloke that comes out to try and fix your washing machine, if he's not been able to make it work again.... you know it's his living, you know he's taken 90mins out of his day to get to you then try and fix it, but it's still frustrating to be £50 down and still not have a working washing machine.
Well, it's the same thing. When money is tight for you, to physically hand over cash for not taking your dc to the CM, just seems to be a time when you start to wonder if you've signed a good contract or not.

When my dc went to CMs, different CMs wanted paying in different ways - the best one from my pov as a parent (and presumably her's as a CM) was the one who added up all the weeks when they would be there (full price) and all the weeks when they wouln't (when I was paying 1/2 price as a retainer) then divided the total for the year by 12 and I set up a standing order. Everyone was happy and I didn't get that feeling of 'Why am I paying this person to not have my dc?' that we all hate.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 00:13:38

Yes. Contract of course. But the questions, the 'trying it out' the "why" after the contract is signed is really annoying. Specially when the CM takes all the time in the world to explain the T&C and asks over and over again if there are any doubts/ sugestions etc.

The comparison above doesn't make sense. Sorry.
Your CM make her time available for you. You for whatever reason does not or can not use that time and obviously think you should not pay but wants the CM to be there for you next time you need it. hmm

Anywhichway Sat 10-May-14 00:15:56

I think it's the not getting value for money.

I paid a lock smith £40 to unlock my door. He wiggeled a piece of card in the lock - took two seconds. It killed me.

Anywhichway Sat 10-May-14 00:16:41

Also because your not an actually nursery they see you as a babysitter.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 00:19:45

Not sure why I even get surprised by these answers.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 00:19:59

A comparison would be paying your rent for all of june but taking a week away to spain and expecting your LL to give you a reduction in rent for that week. They are still providing the service, YOU have chosen not to use it that week. LL has all the same financial commitments they made based on your agreement to pay rent for the full month.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 00:21:54

Thank you sillybilly

VeryStressedMum Sat 10-May-14 00:22:30

When I worked ds was in day care/after school and I paid every week whether he was there or not. If he wasn't there it wasn't their fault they were ready for him to arrive I chose to not send him for what ever reason so I paid them. That's just the way it is and I would expect the same from a child minder.

MostlyCake Sat 10-May-14 00:22:31

I totally agree. You're paying for a space for an extended length of time not a day by day pick and chose when you want it. If the cm could at zero notice fill your slot then fair enough but that's not likely to happen.

Full contract us the way to go I think. Although I don't have one with our cm, I just pay weekly but I appreciate her and don't want to piss her off and lose my space, so I don't shaft her. Simple!

I have a mate who complains bitterly when her daughter is ill and can't get to nursery. I just say nothing now but seethe inside......

SoonToBeSix Sat 10-May-14 00:36:07

Would you mind explaining one the other way round. Why does a CM expect to be paid while they go on their holiday and therefore do not mind your child. However when you go on your holiday and they don't mind your child they still want paying. Thanks

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 00:38:03

Soontobe that is down to each individual CMer. You'd need to ask yours why they charge when they are closed for business and you'd also need to ask yourself why you would agree to that if you arent happy with it. All the CMers i know do NOT charge when they are closed for business.

VeryStressedMum Sat 10-May-14 00:39:18

Why on earth does a child minder expect to be paid when they're on holiday??? Even my day care when it was shut on the few public holidays a year didn't charge me for it!!

Mybellyisaneasteregg Sat 10-May-14 00:42:05

Yes I would use the 'rent' analogy as well. Even if your at work all day/ go away for a holiday etc you have to pay a set amount every month as this protects your need for housing.

slev Sat 10-May-14 00:49:49

My CM expects to be paid for when she's on holiday - but it's in her contract so never occurred to me it might not be normal. But then to be fair, when she or her daughter has been ill do can't take DS, she's not charged for that.

Probably depends on your background - DS was at nursery before starting school so I was used to paying for something I didn't always use. Whereas I can see that anyone using childcare for the first time might feel differently.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-May-14 00:53:20

You may find that childminders who charge for their holidays have a lower hourly rate so that overall it works out about the same.

If it doesn't work out the same overall and you feel you're paying way over the odds, move your child. You don't have to use that childminder. They tell you their terms you can accept them or look elsewhere, that's your choice.

OutragedFromLeeds Sat 10-May-14 00:53:27

You may find that childminders who charge for their holidays have a lower hourly rate so that overall it works out about the same.

If it doesn't work out the same overall and you feel you're paying way over the odds, move your child. You don't have to use that childminder. They tell you their terms you can accept them or look elsewhere, that's your choice.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 00:55:36

Not every childminder expect to be paid when they go on holidays.
I, for example, don't charge for the days I am not available, be it holidays, personal days off or sickness. A part from sickness of course, I always give more than 4 weeks notice.

By the way, I just took two days sickness: 1 day for daughter's chickenpox untill I arranged someone to stay with her and 1 day when I spent most of the evening in the hospital and was expected to spend more time there following day.
I am 5 years in the childcare business.

VeryStressedMum Sat 10-May-14 00:58:07

I don't think I'd be happy to pay for a service that was not available for me to use, it's totally different to not using a service which is being provided.
Aren't child minders self employed? So why would they expect holiday pay, I wouldn't be their employer.
However I suppose if you find a really good child minder and those were the terms and you didn't want to lose her you'd probably pay it...

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 01:02:25

"I don't think I'd be happy to pay for a service that was not available for me to use, it's totally different to not using a service which is being provided.
Aren't child minders self employed? So why would they expect holiday pay, I wouldn't be their employer.
However I suppose if you find a really good child minder and those were the terms and you didn't want to lose her you'd probably pay it..."

Some CMers charge for their holidays, some dont and charge a higher hourly rate. Either way you are paying for the CMer's holiday. I you werent they wouldnt be able to take any and that would be shit for all concerned.

All self employed people charge a rate that allows them to have some time where they are not working. CMers work is not one of work but ongoing and so for some it is necessary to charge for holidays.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 01:02:30

verystressed
Some CM just charge for the time they ARE available.
The question here is: Why should they not charge when they are available but you do not use the service even though you signed a contract saying that you would.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 10-May-14 01:03:24

Sorry that should say 'one-off work'

VeryStressedMum Sat 10-May-14 01:06:29

Barbie, I answered that question earlier that of course you should be paid. This was in response to soontobesix's post about cm charging for their holidays.

BarbieCan Sat 10-May-14 01:11:32

Yes verystressed
Sadly some ppl are not as understanding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now