This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Child care- what am I missing?

(21 Posts)
LogonMounstuart Sat 03-May-14 21:22:25

DS1 starts school in September. Also have DS2 who is 2. I naively thought I would be able to get a childminder to have DS2 and do pick up and drop off for DS1. No. Not a single one within miles who could or would do it.

DH and I both work FT and that can't change. Work can be a bit flexible but not to the extent of working around a 9-2.30 school day.

We can't afford a nanny. Have no family other than us. A teeny tiny house (so no room for an au pair). No breakfast or after school club at school and none locally that pick up. Other mums I know have a nanny or family doing child care.

I am really stuck. There has to be a solution but just can't find it!

LogonMounstuart Sat 03-May-14 21:25:11

Oops sorry just seen another really similar post. Sorry I missed that. Glad I am not the only person going through this huge stress!

meerschweinchen Sat 03-May-14 21:26:06

Is the problem that the childminders you contacted don't want the little one or that they can't do the pick ups? Could you use two forms of childcare and have a childminder who does the school run, with perhaps nursery for the two year old? Far from ideal, I know.

PeanutBitter Sat 03-May-14 21:27:41

Have a taxi to do drop off and pickup from and to the childminders?

LogonMounstuart Sat 03-May-14 21:40:15

Childminders all say the same thing- no spaces and don't foresee having any and if they did all but 1 of them (and I have contacted loads!) won't consider picking up from DS's school.

shivs1974 Sat 03-May-14 21:43:05

Ask the school if they know of any childminders? There are never enough childminders. Fingers crossed for you x

rubyslippers Sat 03-May-14 21:44:44

After school club for your older child and nursery for your younger one?

LogonMounstuart Sat 03-May-14 21:53:55

Yes have a nursery place for the youngest if needed. I would be happy with that for him but no after school club for the eldest. Even if there was I would have to be in two places at once- but that I think I could just about manage!

NoEgowoman Sat 03-May-14 22:09:17

I saw someone suggested a local sixth form or university student as a possible solution on another thread. I thought that was a good idea.

almaradlu Sat 03-May-14 22:17:18

Maybe contact your local family information service, explain what you are looking for and ask them if they could do a search a little bit further away, there might be other childminders living a little bit further away who might be willing to travel to the school.Might be a way of keeping them both together.

Hope you find something soon

Vajazzler Sat 03-May-14 22:31:21

If you have friends with a nanny would they be open to sharing their nanny?

HelloRainbow Sat 03-May-14 22:33:48

Nursery for the little one and an afterschool / part time nanny for the older one? If the after school nanny is just looking after an older child they don't need to be as qualified and experienced as someone caring for a toddler or baby. Students might be interested as noegowoman suggests or someone working in a preschool. I got one of the TA's at my dd's school to be her after school nanny which was a big sucess.

PhoebeMcPeePee Sat 03-May-14 22:33:59

What are you doing for childcare now? Can you afford for the lower earner to stop work or at least get a pt job? Obviously not ideal but unfortunately this is often the only solution if there's no available childcare.

restandpeace Sat 03-May-14 22:57:43

Could any friends help?

Nocomet Sat 03-May-14 23:00:03

Why do you think I'm a SAHM

secretcbeebiesfan Sun 04-May-14 02:06:09

I also agree with a student? Or a TA at the school who may need to pick up another part time job, because I know TAs do not get paid much!

I wanted to become a TA after uni to gain more school experience but simply couldn't afford it, if I had had the opportunity to become a TA and then an after school nanny I would have absolutely loved it!

Good luck in your search OP

LogonMounstuart Sun 04-May-14 05:10:03

Thank you all. This is why I posted to get ideas I hadn't thought of and I have. Hadn't considered approaching the school (I thought they might be annoyed and say they are educational and not interested in child care). A TA would be a really good solution. Will also try and talk to someone at FIS as I had previously thought they were just a website! Uni student for eldest might work too. Going PT not an option for us and we certainly couldn't afford for one of us to stay at home even if we wanted to which we don't really.

Thank you!

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 04-May-14 15:25:55

A nanny or au pair share could work well, particularly if there are a lot of people in the area with a nanny/au pair and not a lot of childminders. You may find other people are in the same position i.e. forced into having a nanny they're struggling to afford.

insancerre Mon 05-May-14 10:18:35

ring the closest day nurseries or pre-schools to the school and ask if they have a collection service from the school
or ask them if they would consider it, especially if this is the nursery where you send the younger one

Artandco Mon 05-May-14 10:25:03

What about a nanny with own child? They usually charge less per hour in exchange for bringing own child. In a way like a nanny share ( where the amount would be more but halved so less).

What are the min times you need? Can say you start work early and finish early and your dh start later, finish later? Sure your still need childcare but instead of 8am-6pm, you might be able to only need 9-4/5pm. Therefore reducing childcare bill by 2-3 hours a day.

How much is nursery daily? Plus average childminder in area? A nanny with own child would probably be about the same tbh, they would live out, and would provide childcare during all the school holidays also

LogonMounstuart Tue 06-May-14 00:42:52

Thanks Art. I have been tempted by a nanny with their own child, if we could find one maybe it could work. But I worry a lot about liability for maternity and sick pay and all the hidden costs of having a nanny. I worry that we won't be able to afford it. Also our house is so small I am not sure there would be room/or they would want to be here with their child and ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now