This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Setting up as a childminder

(9 Posts)
moomin35 Sat 15-Mar-14 10:05:22

How do I get registered with OFSTED? Can anyone tell me how it works, do I register with OFSTED first (if so how do i do this and how much is this?) and then how do I receive my OFSTED grade (do they come and inspect me and is this before I begin or when I have children on my books)? Any advice appreciated :-)

HSMMaCM Sat 15-Mar-14 11:40:38

If you contact your local authority, they wi be able to answer all your questions and tell you what you need to do. Be aware it can take months to get registered.

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 15-Mar-14 12:31:47

HSMMaCM says contact your LA.
But the general procedure is that you complete a pre reg course (now needs to be done before sending off Ofsted reg forms.
You also need to do Paediatric first aid, Food Hygiene and Safeguarding/ Child Protection Course.

I would send off for an Ofsted application pack as there are thing you need to do such as get your Dr. To fill out a medical form (provided in the pack) and to obtain references (I got my Son's teacher to complete one as Id been into help in her class and a friend who I'd known for 20 years also a teacher.)
You also need to complete your DSB form for you and anyone over 16 in your house (these came in the Ofsted pack)

Ofsted will will process your application should take 6 weeks mine took longer! They will come out for your pre reg visit, to check your house, your resources etc and interview you about safeguarding/ EYFS / behaviour and discipline/ inclusion.

They should inspect you and give you a grade after 6 months if you have children in the EYFS.

I registered in Nov 11 and only had my 1st graded inspection last week though, due to not having children on roll. And then not being contacted by the inspection company.

Hope this helps.

HSMMaCM Sat 15-Mar-14 18:01:27

Much better reply from MaryPoppinsBag grin

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 15-Mar-14 19:18:27

Ha! grin
I'm in a good mood as I've got my inspection out the way and got a Good.
A few months back I used to look at these threads and think don't bleeding bother being a CM. Feeling much more positive now!

moomin35 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:52:06

Oh that's fab well done MaryPoppinsBag :-) What you thought it was too much hassle before you tried it you mean? Can I ask what your inspection consisted of/involved? I dont have any experience in childcare at all, am expecting my first baby in a couple of months. It seems like loads of effort at the minute to go through all the loops but there seems to be lots of people that do do it...

moomin35 Sun 16-Mar-14 09:53:50

Will it all become a lot clearer once I've attended the compulsory 2 hour pre-registration session do you think?
With regards to references, can they be any references of have they got to relate to childcare experience?

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 16-Mar-14 16:00:32

Hi
Pre reg will make it a lot clearer.
References can be from a previous employer or character reference.

It's a hard job sometimes. In some ways though I wish I'd started when mine were babies as they'd know no difference. I had a run of bad luck picking up work, including one of my friends using another CM and not me. Which hurt but so over it now. Plus I'm not a part of the childminder -- network-- clique, I mean I am a member but not part of it. I have struggled with this but f&@k em! Don't need em anyway. And it can be isolating. Which I do struggle with as 8 years into being a Mum and both kids at school there's a small part of me wishes I could get dressed smartly, drop them off at school and be me again at work.

My first graded inspection was about 2.5 hours but didn't seem like that. And they just watch you interacting with your children. She asks me lots and lots of questions, but it flowed really easily. It felt really natural to talk about what I do everyday. She said I was a very welcoming and bubbly person and that I was clearly passionate and in for the right reasons. smile

I visited a local CM for advice before registering. She was a family friend and was helpful.

Cindy34 Mon 17-Mar-14 09:16:28

Ofsted has updated guidance, to registration on the Early Years Register.pdf Registering on the Early Years Register.

If you have not already done so, your starting point is contacting your local authority.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now